F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

supercar moveable pedals? lol my 2005 grand cherokee had them

Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
(You mean all 3 pedals). How sweet would that be?
In theory, yes but there does not appear to be as much space behind the position where a clutch pedal would be placed so if they had done it with these, it likely would have been limited to the automatic variants.

So I take it that none of the respondents here noticed how much space there is back there? Next time you get in the car try stretching your legs underneath the pedals before you start your car. You may be surprised, as I was at how much room there is back there.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I realized that there is about 12 inches of EMPTY SPACE behind the pedals that seems like could have been made available to the driver to give more leg room. It is so much room that I wonder if someone in JLR design might have been considering some type of way to move both pedals back and forth in some mechanical way similar to the super cars that have move-able pedals

This has saved me on a few 8-11+ hour drives. Such a nice little "in-flight" stretch.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
In theory, yes but there does not appear to be as much space behind the position where a clutch pedal would be placed so if they had done it with these, it likely would have been limited to the automatic variants.

So I take it that none of the respondents here noticed how much space there is back there? Next time you get in the car try stretching your legs underneath the pedals before you start your car. You may be surprised, as I was at how much room there is back there.
Actually, plenty of room to move all those pedals back:

I can stretch my left leg straight out behind the clutch pedal on long interstate drives.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought we all knew that space as "additional storage".
An intrepid traveller/owner previously reported useing it as luggage space when packing for an extended trip.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
I thought we all knew that space as "additional storage".
An intrepid traveller/owner previously reported useing it as luggage space when packing for an extended trip.
Oh my. We all recognize that as a very bad idea, right? Something rolls toward the pedals and poof, no brakes.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Oh my. We all recognize that as a very bad idea, right? Something rolls toward the pedals and poof, no brakes.
It appears that you already lost your sense of humor behind one of those pedals...
The good news is that acknowledging the error is your first step in recovery.

The following users liked this post:
mbelanger (12-18-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

One of the reasons I upgraded from a 2016 Base F-Type to a 2018 R-Dynamic was for the Limited Slip Differential. After driving in the first snow "storm" (you call that a storm?) today -- WOW what a difference.

I just felt I had more control over the car and I wasn't losing control of the back end.

Yes, it's only our first snowfall here in Toronto, but so far so good.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I learned that our engines are a cozy place for vermin. Went to Maui and Lanai for approximately 11 days, and came back to a check engine light. Apparently, not under warranty (of course), but covered by comprehensive insurance.... rats set up shop, and nibbled away at my wiring. They had to do a full engine breakdown to find everything, and beyond that at $375 or so, I've no idea what other costs are coming my way. That's super gross, but that's what you get for living in CA where you don't really need a garage... but there's also the fact that my house only has open parking.

Beyond solutions, knowing it is my daily and will never sit for that long, I wonder how big a problem this is? There's MA, HI, and Los Angeles County class action lawsuits for Toyota, and Subaru.

Apparently it's soy coated electrical lines. Anyone know if ours has soy product?

Edit: some articles:
Apparently it is a "thing". Weird... soy coated wires, and electric cars having the worst of it. I found articles back from 2011.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...nty-to-chew-on

That's this year, though.

And this!
http://www.kgw.com/news/investigatio...cars/499704391

Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

When I learned that I can very easily remove the plastic panel between the front seats (Coupe) and there is a "secret" storage compartment and a place to hide extra electronics I was very pleased

Old 12-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I learned that our engines are a cozy place for vermin. Went to Maui and Lanai for approximately 11 days, and came back to a check engine light. Apparently, not under warranty (of course), but covered by comprehensive insurance.... rats set up shop, and nibbled away at my wiring. They had to do a full engine breakdown to find everything, and beyond that at $375 or so, I've no idea what other costs are coming my way. That's super gross, but that's what you get for living in CA where you don't really need a garage... but there's also the fact that my house only has open parking.

Beyond solutions, knowing it is my daily and will never sit for that long, I wonder how big a problem this is? There's MA, HI, and Los Angeles County class action lawsuits for Toyota, and Subaru.

Apparently it's soy coated electrical lines. Anyone know if ours has soy product?

Edit: some articles:
Apparently it is a "thing". Weird... soy coated wires, and electric cars having the worst of it. I found articles back from 2011.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...nty-to-chew-on

That's this year, though.

And this!
Why rats are chewing up hybrid cars | KGW.com
Yes, we have soy insulation and vermin damage is well documented on this forum.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
When I learned that I can very easily remove the plastic panel between the front seats (Coupe) and there is a "secret" storage compartment and a place to hide extra electronics I was very pleased
Interesting. Can you elaborate on how to access this compartment? Have any pics?

Uncle Fishbits (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, we have soy insulation and vermin damage is well documented on this forum.
There is pepper spray to apply on wiring in the engine bay to keep vermin from chewing on it.

Uncle Fishbits (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
Interesting. Can you elaborate on how to access this compartment? Have any pics?
I see you have a 2105 coupe, same as me.
One of the first things I did when I got the car was to pull the cup holders out and line the resultant space/hole with a piece of black car carpet cut to shape.
This creates a handy extra compartment for all sorts of things, at the expense of losing the cup holders.
To pull the cup holders out simply grab the middles of the long sides, squeeze together hard, and pull up and out.
FType 17 has a 17 (doh!) AWD coupe and when he talks about a "plastic panel" and a "secret storage compartment" I don't know if he is talking about the same thing (removing the cup holders) or something else that is different on a 17 AWD compared to a 15 RWD.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I see you have a 2105 coupe, same as me.
One of the first things I did when I got the car was to pull the cup holders out and line the resultant space/hole with a piece of black car carpet cut to shape.
This creates a handy extra compartment for all sorts of things, at the expense of losing the cup holders.
To pull the cup holders out simply grab the middles of the long sides, squeeze together hard, and pull up and out.
FType 17 has a 17 (doh!) AWD coupe and when he talks about a "plastic panel" and a "secret storage compartment" I don't know if he is talking about the same thing (removing the cup holders) or something else that is different on a 17 AWD compared to a 15 RWD.
You can remove a piece between the seat uprights, above the armrest/storage compartment. Convertitbles have a storage compartment while we (coupes) get a padded panel with empty space behind it. I can't remember exactly how it comes out. Either the lower edge pops out straight (forward) or the upper does. The other other edge is a pivot that pops loose once its opposite swings out far enough.

I considered a spare I saw on eBay to modify for storage but the mounting points were damaged and it wasn't sufficiently inexpensive, considering.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Misujerr (12-20-2017), Uncle Fishbits (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I learned that our engines are a cozy place for vermin. Went to Maui and Lanai for approximately 11 days, and came back to a check engine light. Apparently, not under warranty (of course), but covered by comprehensive insurance.... rats set up shop, and nibbled away at my wiring.
I put Bounce dryer sheets under the hood. I change them monthly. I use Bounce because the perfume is strong enough that I can't use them with my laundry. Apparently the vermin dislike them too. I wasn't getting field mice, not rats. Still, I don't need that. Not at all.

EDIT:: I twist the sheets the long way and tie them around something. On the right, it's a wiring bundle behind the headlight, the left it's around an A/C pipe. I put one under the engine cover for good measure, at the forward part of the engine. There's a nice place for a vole's nest there.

Last edited by lizzardo; 12-18-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Pictures of the secret compartment and opened

TR64ever (12-23-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:41 PM

I see that you have contrasting red stitching on your seats - something that I really wish my F had. However, I noticed that the contrast stitching is not part of the armrest/console. Is this how it comes from the factory?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!
I just went out to the car and yep, that panel pulls off real easy (just pull out from the top to release two clips then lift it out).
But it looks like it would take a fair bit of work and more skillz than I have to make the resultant hole look neat and tidy.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
But it looks like it would take a fair bit of work and more skillz than I have to make the resultant hole look neat and tidy.
I haven't tried popping out the panel myself but judging from the pics perhaps cut, shape and paint black a piece of 1/4" plywood??? plexiglass??

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...