XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

LS3 Conversion Diary

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

And just to remind you how nice this jag was before they started working on it:

Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow I feel for you and hope the legal system can provide you with some justice. Speak to a lawyer before you do anything. I think an inspection by someone qualified with all faults and damage noted would help.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The filter sits behind the spare wheel on standard V12 models... That even looks like a standard V12 filter... Fuel filter to be precise.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:02 PM

If you have a few pics of the transmission installed I would appreciate them. If the mount that Andrew provides for a 4L60 or 6L80 or both?

My interest is putting a 6L80 behind a V12. That 6x gear spread over the 4L60s 4x gear spread is for me a big attraction.

Originally Posted by rsmithline
Actually about a half inch further back. When it was originally installed with the engine, it fit fine in the stock position with no major hammer-work to the trans tunnel. But the modification to the oil pan was already done and when we tried to install it, it didn't fit. We had to shift the whole engine back a quarter of an inch to accommodate the oil pan.

With a fresh build it should fit in the stock position if you are mindful of how much you need to chop out of the oil pan.

EDIT - Keep in mind will still needed the custom mount from Andrew to install it. It is very nicely fabricated piece though.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by LongJohn
Wow I feel for you and hope the legal system can provide you with some justice. Speak to a lawyer before you do anything. I think an inspection by someone qualified with all faults and damage noted would help.
Agreed. I already have a lawyer and it is being inspected in two weeks by a mechanic that Andrew recommended.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Daim
The filter sits behind the spare wheel on standard V12 models... That even looks like a standard V12 filter... Fuel filter to be precise.
Ah, thanks Daim. I guess there is a spot back there to squeeze it into.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM

If you have a few pics of the transmission installed I would appreciate them. If the mount that Andrew provides for a 4L60 or 6L80 or both?

My interest is putting a 6L80 behind a V12. That 6x gear spread over the 4L60s 4x gear spread is for me a big attraction.
No can do mate. Andrew asked me not to share any pictures of his fabricated parts. I can tell you it is the same mount for both the 4L60 and the 6L80 though. At least I’m pretty sure.

Last edited by rsmithline; 12-21-2017 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LongJohn (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel your pain. So very unfortunate. I had an almost identical situation with my first XJS conversion. It ultimately bled more money and emotion than I thought I had....in addition to the legal aspect. Please don't let someone else's lack of accountability and integrity keep you from fulfilling your vision for your car. Yes it cost you more in time and money than you anticipated, but I promise you if you see it through, it will all be worth it. Every time you get in it, it will bring you a grin. Every time you stomp it and break the tires lose, you will make involuntary man sounds. And every time you walk away from your car, you'll look back and think "Oh Yah". I look forward to more pictures and victory messages. Don't let ANYONE steal your dream!

Flint Ironstag (01-28-2021)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

rsmithline; who is the Austin TX place that you may use to finish the car??

i'm familier with some of these guys.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:22 PM

My curiosity here is not about the bracket but the rather large 6L80 fitting in the XJS transmission tunnel.

Originally Posted by rsmithline
No can do mate. Andrew asked me not to share any pictures of his fabricated parts. I can tell you it is the same mount for both the 4L60 and the 6L80 though. At least I’m pretty sure.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by platinummaker
I feel your pain. So very unfortunate. I had an almost identical situation with my first XJS conversion. It ultimately bled more money and emotion than I thought I had....in addition to the legal aspect. Please don't let someone else's lack of accountability and integrity keep you from fulfilling your vision for your car. Yes it cost you more in time and money than you anticipated, but I promise you if you see it through, it will all be worth it. Every time you get in it, it will bring you a grin. Every time you stomp it and break the tires lose, you will make involuntary man sounds. And every time you walk away from your car, you'll look back and think "Oh Yah". I look forward to more pictures and victory messages. Don't let ANYONE steal your dream!
Thank you so much for your support. After sleeping on it and letting it sink in, it is more likely I will now double down and do some other work on the car that I was going to wait until later to do. Like maybe a supercharger.

Originally Posted by ronbros
rsmithline; who is the Austin TX place that you may use to finish the car??

i'm familier with some of these guys.
Dan Heller from JagTechs.

Last edited by rsmithline; 12-22-2017 at 09:27 PM.
ronbros (12-26-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 PM

My curiosity here is not about the bracket but the rather large 6L80 fitting in the XJS transmission tunnel.
Then I can tell you there were no issues fitting it behind an LS3 in the tunnel.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

To say that is criminal is such an understatement all the best with the lawsuit.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

As to a law suit? I understand the frustration. But, where will it take you ?

The paper work is essential. Written contract? signed work order or more ?

Did the paper work contain the magic phrase, "time is of the essence" ?
That part for the awful delay.

Wow will you prove damages?

The jurisdiction is Florida. You are in Texas. Logistics?

Expert testimony is essential in any possible lawsuit destined for a win.

And, can that shop pay? Don't hope for insurance money. The Garage Liability policy, if any, will not cover.

I don't see any positive results in litigation. And lawsuits are veeery slow....

The best is that Mr. Heller will find the work decent and any added work not of great expense.

These thoughts are entirely gratuitous. Reject if you don't like them.

Merry Christmas.

Carl
Carl

Old 12-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

So painful to read, even more difficult to see your beautiful car brought to such a state.

I hope you get it sorted out and the end result is everything you wanted.

Padre

Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
As to a law suit? I understand the frustration. But, where will it take you ?

The paper work is essential. Written contract? signed work order or more ?

Did the paper work contain the magic phrase, "time is of the essence" ?
That part for the awful delay.

Wow will you prove damages?

The jurisdiction is Florida. You are in Texas. Logistics?

Expert testimony is essential in any possible lawsuit destined for a win.

And, can that shop pay? Don't hope for insurance money. The Garage Liability policy, if any, will not cover.

I don't see any positive results in litigation. And lawsuits are veeery slow....

The best is that Mr. Heller will find the work decent and any added work not of great expense.

These thoughts are entirely gratuitous. Reject if you don't like them.

Merry Christmas.

Carl
Carl
I understand where you are coming from. Lawsuits are no fun and take forever. But I may just do it in small claims court and settle for the $5000 limit. I have a friend there that can file it for me.

When I win, If they don't want to pay, then that is fine; I will put a lien on their property. And yes, I can foreclose on them. I saw a hilarious YouTube video on where as guy foreclosed on a lien he put on a chase branch. Cops were there to evict them and all.

Paperwork, not much. I can't find the original agreement anymore. But now I know why they wanted me to sign off on a new invoice before they would release it. It omits most of the work they did not bother doing:

But even that is enough to show how much they screwed up, not to mention having my car for a year and a half, the damage done to the car, etc. I can get it up to $5k easily even without including the missing exhaust system and such.

But anyway, I will not clutter this forum with that drama until I have a resolution.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Lubrificated... Is that lubricating and manfucaturing in one word?

Old 01-20-2021, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,085 Likes on 460 Posts

Did the car ever get finished/ resolved? Been 3 years since last post....

Flint Ironstag (01-28-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 793 Posts

Lol, on the invoice is says "Lubrificated hood latch"

I think the OP chose the wrong shop. Only experienced shops should do this work and few do becasue of the amount of work involved. It's one of those things where you need to do it to know you need to not do it at the retail shop level. With 1000$ brake job common these days shops cant operate at a profit with open ended conversion jobs with loose ends and custom 1 off parts, so the job goes to the new kid or the recovering meth addict and chaos ensues. I think conversions are only for the DIY'r with the limitless time, patience and the enthusiasm to get it done right and safely.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-20-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mates, thanks for the long post and general interest and details.
Info from Jag Specialties, especially about LS3 vice earlier LS / SBC swaps, was very helpful.
So it certainly helps me in my plans and speculations. It seems quite understandable that one would prefer to gain a lot more power if one is to swap in a V8. I don't see the utility of changing a 300 HP V8 for a 300 HP V12.

But I do see the utility of wanting to hit 400 HP.

Best, Rob.

Quick Reply: LS3 Conversion Diary