XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

So you think Jaguar has problems ...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
My dad bought his first Jaguar back in the 50's -- before my time. I was about 6 when he bought my mother a late W112 coupe. We has a series of XJ's with two XJS's tossed in for pain.

They all leaked -- always something up -- electrical. The annoyance was endless -- they looked good. Having good service was important. MB's were better built ..

Unless you have been a long time owner -- I don't think you can understand what progress the X300 was. Jaguar had really fixed the XJS by 1994 ... the 95-6 being the ones to get.
My dad has owned an XK120, a Series 1 E Type OTS and a series 3 E Type Convertible. They were beautiful but there's a reason he's owned many more Corvettes (63 SWC and 68 L88 Convertible of note) and Mopar Muscle (sweetest being a 440-6 4sp 71 Challenger Convertible and a 69 440-6 4SP Charger)

He has been absolutely astounded how far Jaguar has come and the X300 was a watershed Jaguar can absolutely be proud of. The Series 1-3 and XJ40 XJ6 were pretty, but the X300 was pretty AND a good car. I have put 40k pretty liveable miles on my XKR and drive it daily except in winter for 7 years coming up January. It replaced a C4 Corvette that broke down more often and overall per year and mile cost me MORE money than my XKR has, and my Jaguar has been no more difficult to work on.

I'd love a 4.2 or 5.0L X150 in addition to my X100 XKR at one point. I have no desire to sell that car. After 7 years and 40k miles with me driving, that's the most years and miles I've ever kept a car. Jaguar are great used bargains because perception has taken much longer than reality in terms of reliability to improve.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

The thing I've found about having a Jag, regardless of age, is the way people react to you when they discover you have one. They look at you with an expression of surprise, apprehension and jealousy all rolled into one. Sometimes when I pull up to lights I may glance at the car next to me and often I see the driver looking at my car, even if they are in a modern prestige car themselves. In the UK people hate it when an Audi, BMW or Mercedes comes haring up behind them on the motorway and are reluctant to move over, but when it's a Jag approaching they move over in plenty of time and steal a glance as the big cat swooshes past. Except if it's an X Type, that is a Jag that gets zero credits it would seem.

I spent 10 years rebuilding and modifying my 71 Triumph Herald, along the way I fitted a few sympathetic modern upgrades such as electronic ignition, halogen headlights run through relays, upgraded wiring and fuse box as well as an alternator. She also has a stainless steel exhaust system, NOS clutch, rebuilt gearbox and O/D and brand new brake callipers. That little car starts first time every time, even in icy weather. I don't bring that car out very often, but when I do I always enjoy the drive.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
A centralized hydraulic system... for door locking???
To set the record straight, it is a centralized hydraulic system to operate the 5 hydraulic rams of the folding roof (2x trunk lid open, 2x roof up, 1x roof locking on the front-window), not the door locks.

The concept of a SLK is still fantastic, but I agree with most, that's about the only reason to buy a Benz, and only that particular type or model.

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

That makes sense. Hydraulics for operating the folding roof are much more reasonable of an idea.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I own both brands. The last good S-Class (Sonder classe) was the 1999 MY W140 S500. Last good C class was the 2000 MY W202 C280 or C43 AMG.

The SL's started going down with the R129 and their hydraulic conv. top latches.

I own a 4 speed manual 280SL R107, no hydraulics, just cables and handles, love it.

Also I own a 2001 SL500 that pees hydraulic fluid on the sun visors and the rear wheel wells.

But let's keep in mind that our jags are not angels and they don't stand up in reliability, fit and finish or trim quality to a Lexus or an Acura.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Oh, not the W202. POS if you ask the Mercedes boys in the factory in Bremen (where all W202, 203 and W204 were built). Those cars rotted the day they were built and even here, where they are still a common sight on the road still, they are highly disregarded. The engines are good and they look good too, when compared to the ugly successor, but heck, the W202 is really, well, not actually a good Mercedes. The W201 was. As was the W124. And the W126 was the best S Class to date... The W140 was too fat, too heavy, wasn't really a long distance driver (you couldn't load much into it. Helmut Kohl was the prime user here in Germany and people thought if it could load him, they could load loads into it... 300 kg. That is it. That is the weight of 2 adults, 2 kids and a suitcase. The German press always complained about that!). The V12 wasn't bullitproof... Very fragile engine (mechanically). The Jaguar V12 was more robust and that means a lot!

To this date, Mercs haven't managed to properly get back to their late 80ies reputation. Even here in Germany. People drive the new ones for 3-5 years. Then they are sold overprices with loads of faults and someone somehow gets them to work again only ro end up in trouble again.

My bother owns a W204 MoPf. C180 Turbo. Nice car. Engine died of a known 90ies issue: cam chain ate the teeth on the cams away, jumped, dead. That was at ~80k km (so about 50k mikes). His car failed the TÜV inspection last year. It was the car's second one. 2011 it was first registered, then the first TÜV is due after 36 months. After that one every 24 months. The rear axle bushes are all dead. And that is a common W201-W204 issue... As basically the axle is nearly the same.

The 7G automatic has just been replaced after one set of the planetary gears had no teeth any more... Supposed to be a common fault. Mercedes doesn't even repair them anymore. You just get a new transmission.

It also has a few rust bubbles inside the doors where no Stones can get to the surface.

As I said before: all manufacturers cook with the same water. Just some are able to convince people in spending more for the same 'quality'.

By far am I blessed with the pretty pink Jaguar glasses, but heck. The car's are better than their reputation! My XJ8 may be a tatty old POS but at least the doors, wings and co are rust free, unlike this younger W220!

unimoged (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I’ve just remembered the central locking on my Audi Coupe is operated by a small air compressor. It’s quite funny really to hear it operate when you turn the key in the lock. The boot can only be opened by operating a latch in the driver’s door jamb and it’s the heaviest boot lid I’ve ever experienced. But that being said, it was a very advanced car for it’s time and it is comfortable enough for four adults to sit comfortably.

Daim (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Daim, I like your reply, especially coming from Bremen. I spent 2.5 years commuting to Sindelfingen and Bremen monthly, from Charlotte. I was running a major IT program for the in-line software configuration and end of line testing, for W220, W203 and W211.

And yes, majority of OEM's cook with the same water, called Tier 1 suppliers. Except for one and their results show in price valuations in the US when their vehicles get over 150 K miles on the clock and 10 plus years in age.

I see this scenario often in wholesale auctions; An S500 or an XJ8 or a BMW 745 go through the lane with 150 K miles and the hammer drops around 1000 to 2000 dollars. Then comes a Lexus LS430 or a GS 400 / 300 and the sold price is 2 to 3 times higher.

Why is that?

Probably Toyota cooks with special water, called " Shibitsu" which is their private captive suppliers where Toyota controls the quality down to a single nut and bolt.

Daimler, JLR and BMW will try to save a penny on a dashboard button coating it with any color you want vs. molding it, to have it peel few years later into an eye sore.

b

Daim (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by unimoged
Daim, I like your reply, especially coming from Bremen. I spent 2.5 years commuting to Sindelfingen and Bremen monthly, from Charlotte. I was running a major IT program for the in-line software configuration and end of line testing, for W220, W203 and W211.

And yes, majority of OEM's cook with the same water, called Tier 1 suppliers. Except for one and their results show in price valuations in the US when their vehicles get over 150 K miles on the clock and 10 plus years in age.

I see this scenario often in wholesale auctions; An S500 or an XJ8 or a BMW 745 go through the lane with 150 K miles and the hammer drops around 1000 to 2000 dollars. Then comes a Lexus LS430 or a GS 400 / 300 and the sold price is 2 to 3 times higher.

Why is that?

Probably Toyota cooks with special water, called " Shibitsu" which is their private captive suppliers where Toyota controls the quality down to a single nut and bolt.

Daimler, JLR and BMW will try to save a penny on a dashboard button coating it with any color you want vs. molding it, to have it peel few years later into an eye sore.

b
Yeah, the Lexus models seem to hold their value. Just not here. You can get a Lexus used for a lower price than an older S Class or 7 Series. Though I personally do prefer the Lexus LS400 vs. S Class and 7 Series of the same era. And if you look inside a 20 year old Lexus with like 200k miles, it will look the same as it did new. Do the same in an S Class or 7 Series or A8 or XJ and it will look used. Maybe even worn.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only problem jaguar has is its modern cars and the I pace

Old 12-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Daim
Yeah, the Lexus models seem to hold their value. Just not here. You can get a Lexus used for a lower price than an older S Class or 7 Series. Though I personally do prefer the Lexus LS400 vs. S Class and 7 Series of the same era. And if you look inside a 20 year old Lexus with like 200k miles, it will look the same as it did new. Do the same in an S Class or 7 Series or A8 or XJ and it will look used. Maybe even worn.

Daim, I bet your XJS flying down the autobahn at 240 KMH in the left lane surprises a lot of people. The XJS with the ZF gearbox has long legs.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Mine has the GM TH400... 3 speeds are enough