XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New car pick up day! 95 XJS Conv

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017 | 07:18 PM
|
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default New car pick up day! 95 XJS Conv

Picked up my new to me 1995 XJS Convert. 4.0. Drove it hoe from Baltimore to CT with both good cruising speeds as well as sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
Some things I’ve had a chance to notice while driving the 4+ hours back:
  1. Engine seems to run a little cold according to the gauge. Above the blue arc but not up to the normal 1200 spot. Just above the first tick.
  2. Engine idles at 1100 to 1200 rpm. Could this be because the engine is running cold? Is idle controlled electronically? Any adjustments? Is ti really cold or gauge or sensor issue?
  3. Blinkers inop. Both sides front or rear, and I don’t hear any blinker relay either. Fuse or relay? Locations?
  4. What is push button switch to the right of the rear defrost button. Has a light/lamp on it but has no effect when pushed on or off. I see that parking and head lamps are on left stalk handle. (directionals handle).
  5. No Glove box??
  6. Both door wood veneer trim are flaking and brittle. Are there replacements ready to be installed or do they and any worn or faded wood pieces need to be removed and refinished per each car?
  7. All shocks feel soft. Rears mostly.
  8. Car has wire wheels. Dayton I presume unless another manufacturer makes them for the XJS
  9. Can someone help with an online version of an owner's manual and wiring diagram ? Electronic version ok.
Will post more questions when I think of them if that’s ok.

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (12-29-2017)
Old 12-28-2017 | 10:59 PM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice looking, if in the pic the radio is turned off the antenna should be down.
In the cold winter my 90 jag will run cold all day but in hot summer will over heat if idle very long,I need fan clutch.

Last edited by macdoesit; 12-28-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2017 | 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 387 Posts

Hey, welcome to XJS ownership. Lots of help here, look at the second and third stickys above.

Blinkers inop. Both sides front or rear, and I don’t hear any blinker relay either. Fuse or relay? Locations? Look in the PDF below, Flasher is yellow and will be under the dash below the steering wheel.. The fuse is under the right side dash #6 brown 7.5 .

What is push button switch to the right of the rear defrost button. Has a light/lamp on it but has no effect when pushed on or off. Its for the rear foglights. When on you should have what look like extra brakelights.

No Glove box?? Nope. You have a passenger airbag instead.

Both door wood veneer trim are flaking and brittle. Are there replacements ready to be installed or do they and any worn or faded wood pieces need to be removed and refinished per each car? [COLOR="Blue"]Can be found new on Ebay or from some suppliers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+wood&_sacat=0

Can someone help with an online version of an owner's manual and wiring diagram ? Electronic version ok.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Electrical.pdf
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...4%20update.pdf

Last edited by malc4d; 12-29-2017 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (12-29-2017)
Old 12-31-2017 | 10:48 AM
|
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
Hey, welcome to XJS ownership. Lots of help here, look at the second and third stickys above.

Blinkers inop. Both sides front or rear, and I don’t hear any blinker relay either. Fuse or relay? Locations? Look in the PDF below, Flasher is yellow and will be under the dash below the steering wheel.. The fuse is under the right side dash #6 brown 7.5 .

What is push button switch to the right of the rear defrost button. Has a light/lamp on it but has no effect when pushed on or off. Its for the rear foglights. When on you should have what look like extra brakelights.

No Glove box?? Nope. You have a passenger airbag instead.

Both door wood veneer trim are flaking and brittle. Are there replacements ready to be installed or do they and any worn or faded wood pieces need to be removed and refinished per each car? Can be found new on Ebay or from some suppliers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+wood&_sacat=0

Can someone help with an online version of an owner's manual and wiring diagram ? Electronic version ok.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Electrical.pdf
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...4%20update.pdf

Hi, for some reason I missed you great answers. I had posted some other threads at the same time and lost sight of this one and your answer.
Thanks for the insight and answers. I'm still learning the whereabouts of different components. This was very helpful. I may have mentioned that the directionals mysteriously started working after getting it back from the emissions test the other day. The other points I will look into. I now have a rubbing squeaking noise now on my right rear wheel area. Too cold to do anything but i will need to jack up that side and see what it is . Maybe its the wire wheel.