X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost jaguar locking wheel nut key removal a b c d e f g h k l m n s t u v........

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lost jaguar locking wheel nut key removal a b c d e f g h k l m n s t u v........

This relates to the more recent domed locking nuts.

If you have lost yours or do not know which key fits your nuts please message me. I have approaching a full set (and quite a few duplicates and other related parts) and am staring a removal service soon. In the meantime, I am practising identifying the key from sketches/photos (you will need a bright torch and a mat!) of the bolt lugs. Their respective sizes and relevant positions are, of course, the important factors.

I am also looking to buy keys: J,P,Q??,R,W,X,Y and Z.
I have read that there are 22 keys and I recall that is correct having seen a set sold on Ebay some time ago.

It also said there are no keys I,O,Q or U but I have U and the nuts to go with it!!! It would be both interesting and helpful to clear this up.

Mike.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 AM

.....and for those of you who have read that some Land/Range Rover locking wheel nut keys are the same as Jaguar ones, do not get excited!
they are, and they are not!! The cut out shapes and codes are the same BUT their diameter is 35mm as opposed to 31mm which means they will not fit in the nut recesses in the wheel. I once wondered why I had a Jaguar wheel nut key returned on ebay as it would not fit and now I know!!

The current wisdom is that there are 20 keys but no codes I, O, Q, X, Y, Z.

Mike.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

The current wisdom is that there are 20 keys but no codes I, O, Q, X, Y, Z.
I made a note ( that I have just found ) a couple of years ago that I and O are not valid but I then crossed them off my list.
IIRC I had trawled Ebay over a few weeks, but did not find U and I questioned XYZ.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:57 AM

Hi Henry,
Yes, I got some of my information from your initial post; thanks!
U exists although somewhere it says not - I have one!!
If you lose yours I am just round the corner or we can meet for a pint at The Albert Arms (unless there are already three people in there!).
I service both our Jags and sell and refurbish Jag wheels.
If you lose a badge - I am your man.
Best wishes,
Mike.

The following users liked this post:
henry k (03-29-2016)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Wheel Key Jag XJ 2016

Hi Mike,

Came accross your post, would you have an idea how to go about obtaining a wheel key for my Jag xj 2016?

Cheers

Dave

Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 AM

Yes Dave.
Believe you are in Lancashire.
Hate typing but if you send me a private or visitor message with your number will call you when convenient. I now have a full set and more besides!
Best wishes,
Mike.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 AM

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for getting back to so quickly, ive managed to get it sorted now.

Cheers

Dave

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Mike,

I recently got a 2017 XF and it has locking nuts with "U" code and the adaptor broke after I was tightening it after installing Arden spacers as a passerby said that the wheel is wobbling. Could you help me in opening it? Pls PM / mail me on adisinghv12 at gmail on how to sort the issue.

Cheers

Old 08-18-2017, 03:41 AM

The best answer is to but another key on Ebay unless you have broken the nut - in which case you will need to cut the dome off with a Dremel or similar. then the key may work or you will have to force a socket or left handed thread remover on. It is a bit too far for me to drive to help you!!!
Best wishes,
Mike.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:27 AM

Mike, I have a 2013 Jaguar XF but have lost the locking key - code W. Is this something you can help with? My local Jaguar dealer (who I bought the car from) have been trying to help for three days and are still searching! They are planning to remove the current set if they can and then put a new set on and supply a new key for them.

Many thanks

Chris

Old 12-19-2017, 04:07 AM

Yes Chris. We are 100 miles apart but I do run a

"JAGUAR WHEEL NUT LOST LOCKING KEY REMOVAL"
service the ebay feedback on which is excellent if you are near M25 J9 over the festive period. I also sell keys but only have one W which is in my master set.

Best wishes,
Mike.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the swift reply Mike. I'm not currently due down in that area soon but I will come back to you if my local dealership doesn't sort it out soon though!

Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 AM

Hi Mike,
I have a 2010 Jaguar XF and have managed to do the same stupid thing and lose my locking nut key. And of course I do not have a record of its code letter. I am hoping that you may be able to help me identify the correct key code letter. I have made a sketch of the relative positions of the engagement lobes, but I don't think it would be possible to capture this information on a photograph.
My first question is to understand how the 22 keys differ from one another. Are the engagement lobes all the same size? Are there always 4 lobes? Is the only difference between the various keys the peripheral location of the lobes? How accurate do I need to be in describing the position of the lobes?
If you can answer these questions, I will try my best to get the data you require to identify the correct key.
I hope to hear from you soon, although I appreciate it is a holiday period.
I would like to wish you a Happy New Year, although it has not started well for me!

Best wishes,

Roger

Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 746 Likes on 666 Posts
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 AM

Hi Dell,
Thanks for that information. I had planned to visit my nearest Jaguar dealer to see if they could help me, but I was not optimistic as there seem to have been several reports of the dealers being less than helpful. However, knowing how and where this information is available should be very helpful in getting the answers I need.
Many thanks again.

Roger

Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 AM

Hi Roger.
20 keys all with four lugs and cutouts, some reflections of each other, sizes vary except on key A which are all the same!! I tried to run an identification service on Ebay but gave up because of lack of demand and, more, importantly, unreliability. I have tried identification from jpegs, sketches and even tried to see if a mould could be taken. If GGG's advice is not applicable for your car please PM me.

Hi GGG,
You are quite correct, the necessary information is available on some documentation as you illustrate on your XK8. However, it is not available on either my X Type or XK150 even using Jaguar online systems. The same is true for some other models.

My best advice to members would be to go out, check your locking key code and note it in more than one place where you cannot possibly lose it!

Happy New Year everyone!

Mike.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your quick reply. Fortunately, I have not had to resort to extreme drastic measures. I visited my nearest Jaguar dealer (Gordon Salmon in Stockport) today and I have to say they were extremely helpful. They have a master set of keys and were able to remove my locking nuts for half an hour's labour, which I considered quite reasonable, particularly as it avoided a lot of aggro compared with alternative solutions. Jaguar do not supply locking nut keys as replacements on their own and I would have resort to Ebay if I wanted to find one. However, I had already been contemplating replacement of the existing locking nuts as their quality is awful and they were all rusty. So this episode only brought forward my purchase of a new set - but not the standard Jaguar domed pattern!!

Hi Dell,
As you can see above, I did not pursue the advice from GGG as it would only have identified the code letter of the locking nut key required and I would still have needed to try and find one on Ebay. My preferred solution of buying a new set avoided that problem, and I think all's well that ends well!!

Thanks again for your help, guys.

Roger

Old 01-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

I'm lucky with my purchase. One of the 2 previous owners had removed the locking nuts. The down side? All the lug nuts are the OEM Jaguar nuts with the flimsy aluminium cap over the underlying metal. Looks as if AS USUAL, the yearly visits to shops for 4 wheel alignments, the knuckleheads used impact wrenches to remove them. Several are sorta sketchy to get off. I use a socket and refuse to even try the "lug wrench" provided. To get the socket on several, I had to use a mallet (yeah, smart enough not to completely remove before trying to get socket off the lug nut), to kinda, sorta, remold the aluminium.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mikefarnham
This relates to the more recent domed locking nuts.
Hello Mike
will you please help me to identify my Jaguar x type key ?

If you have lost yours or do not know which key fits your nuts please message me. I have approaching a full set (and quite a few duplicates and other related parts) and am staring a removal service soon. In the meantime, I am practising identifying the key from sketches/photos (you will need a bright torch and a mat!) of the bolt lugs. Their respective sizes and relevant positions are, of course, the important factors.

I am also looking to buy keys: J,P,Q??,R,W,X,Y and Z.
I have read that there are 22 keys and I recall that is correct having seen a set sold on Ebay some time ago.

It also said there are no keys I,O,Q or U but I have U and the nuts to go with it!!! It would be both interesting and helpful to clear this up.

Mike.
Hello Mike ,
Will you please help me identify my jaguar x type wheel nut locking key ?
regards Paul

Old 03-24-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

@Paulman =
IF you READ the posts, it tells you how.....uuummmmm...like post #14.....yup, that's how it's done.

Quick Reply: Lost jaguar locking wheel nut key removal a b c d e f g h k l m n s t u v........