XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Heated/cooled seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated/cooled seats

Hi, I've just bought an XF S 3.0, 78k and noticed that heating and cooling for the front seats aren't working. Any advice?
Thanks

Last edited by GGG; 01-20-2020 at 04:06 AM. Reason: I fixed the "sets"
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

What year is the XF, and are you positive it has cooled seats?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
What year is the XF, and are you positive it has cooled seats?
Yes, for heat there are 3 red dots and for cooling 3 blue on the screen. None seemed to work properly.
I've even looked under the seat and saw a small fan with a textile filter. Wasn't moving.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

This issue can be caused by two things: A blocked air filter (there are two, one under the seat and one in the back), or a manufacturing defect in the seat heating/cooling "accordion-like" flexible plastic air piping, which turns brittle, and cracks on one of the ridges, allowing air to escape.

Both resulting in not enough air flowing over the peltier element inside the heater/cooler units, which causes it to cut out. As this keeps happening, the life of the peltier element is reduced to the point that even if you repair the air piping (which I did successfully for some time with some amalgamating tape) it will eventually stop working completely.

Your first port of call is to check these intake filters and clean or replace them. If that still doesn't work, you'll need to remove the back panel of the seat to check the air piping or replace the peltier unit. There's threads on this forum which go over this process.

Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
Timothy Geyer (06-18-2024)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

Sounds like an electrical problem if he confirmed the fans aren't moving, so I would start there instead of a filter or piping issue.

Dave, are you sure the fans/piping have anything to do with the heat? I don't think so. They are just heated pads under the seat covers that work without the cooling system. I never hear the fans running when I have the heat on, but I hear them with the cooling on.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:10 PM

If you don't find anything wrong with the filters and piping as suggested, could you give me the last 8 of your VIN, I can look it up in Topix and give you the correct wiring diagram so you can check the correct fuses as the fuse locations and connector information are different depending on the year

Old 01-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Default Vin

If you don't find anything wrong with the filters and piping as suggested, could you give me the last 8 of your VIN, I can look it up in Topix and give you the correct wiring diagram so you can check the correct fuses as the fuse locations and connector information are different depending on the year
Hi,

cns48259 is the vin you've asked for.
I think you're right, if no movement then there's no power.

Thank you

Old 01-24-2018, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Dave, are you sure the fans/piping have anything to do with the heat? I don't think so.
Yes, there are two different types of seat heating systems fitted to the XF. The first is only capable of heat, and uses two heated seat pads (diagram from service manual):

The second type is capable of heating and cooling (identified as being "ventilated" with tiny holes in the leather) and these work by fans connected to peltier elements (referred to as "climate modules" in the service manual diagram):

The ventilated heated/cooled seats do not contain seat heating pads.

When you first turn the seat heating or cooling on, you should hear the fans run for a few seconds. This is done to measure the efficiency of the fans, as by measuring the temperature of the peltier unit the front seat cliimate control module can tell if they're providing enough cooling or if the element will overheat. The peltier modules can provide heat and cooling, as they're essentially thermal transfer modules. You just reverse the polarity depending on whether you want heating or cooling.

The following 2 users liked this post by davetibbs:
Tapper (10-31-2018), Timothy Geyer (06-18-2024)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Ok, so I've attached wiring diagram for your vehicle - Climate Controlled Seats.
There are 2 fused in central junction box #26 and #28, both are 20a mini fuses. Pull them out and inspect. Make sure there is power to them.

Everything else with the seats work correct, all movements etc.....

Attached Thumbnails Heated/cooled seats-2012xfclimateseats.png  
The following users liked this post:
Tapper (10-31-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Hi davetibbs - that makes a lot of sense. However I have heated / cooled seats in my 2010 XF SC. When they cool I feel the cool airflow very clearly. When they heat I don't feel any air or fan.
Similarly when I turn them off the cooling stops straight away whereas the heat continues to be transmitted for a while as it cools off. So any chance there is a model with pads for heating and airflow for cooling?
Or is this just perception and the heating really is air flowing?

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi davetibbs - that makes a lot of sense. However I have heated / cooled seats in my 2010 XF SC. When they cool I feel the cool airflow very clearly. When they heat I don't feel any air or fan.
Similarly when I turn them off the cooling stops straight away whereas the heat continues to be transmitted for a while as it cools off. So any chance there is a model with pads for heating and airflow for cooling?
Or is this just perception and the heating really is air flowing?

Thanks.
I notice in my 2011 XFR that if I turn either on, I can hear the fans running. Turn off your radio or any other item making noise and check to see if you hear the fans running.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

There's definitely only one or the other. You either have heated seats with pads, or you have the "climate controlled seats" that will do heat and cooling, and works with the peltier modules and the fan. There's not really a way to have a heat pad make enough contact with the seat when the airflow pad with holes in it is mounted there. As an aside, I really missed my driver's seat heating working until I replaced the peltier module in the back of the seat (which is always the one that the pipe cracks on, as far as I can tell), then all was well again.

I suspect the fans run slower with the heating function, maybe to allow the seat to get hotter, but as PA_JAG_GUY says, you can hear the fans running with heat or cooling.

Last edited by davetibbs; 01-24-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:38 AM
HJ2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting info here, as I am struggling with the same problem, thanks!
Do you have a source for the Peltier elements perhaps?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Cool

No, this topic is currently hot...

================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
>Cool

No, this topic is currently hot...
He was a spammer so he's gone!

Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM

Ok, so I've attached wiring diagram for your vehicle - Climate Controlled Seats.
There are 2 fused in central junction box #26 and #28, both are 20a mini fuses. Pull them out and inspect. Make sure there is power to them.

Everything else with the seats work correct, all movements etc.....
Thanks for this I'll give it try on weekend.
In the meantime I have a full FAP warning. I just hope my passion for Jaguar not to make me spend a fortune.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Default Fuses

Hi again guys and thanks for all this info.
The advice about fuses I think was correct.
There is a schematic posted which says 26 and 28 are my fuses, but I think something's strange.
Firstly I don't have rear vented seats than, in the owner's manual from the Jaguar website says fuses 25 and 27 are driver and passenger seat cooling/heating.
The schematic has different numbers.
I've just checked the fuse box and fuse 25 is 10A, fuse 26 is a 20 A (in the manual that's for trailer and my car is not provided with this) and 27 is missing.
If the manual is correct I just have to replace 25 and put a new one on 27 slot and hopefully it'll work.
I'm just a bit afraid not to put the wrong fuse in wrong place.
So in the end the questionis which one is okay, the manual or the schematic posted?
Thank you again

Last edited by danalpop; 01-28-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Originally Posted by danalpop
Hi again guys and thanks for all this info.
The advice about fuses I think was correct.
There is a schematic posted which says 26 and 28 are my fuses, but I think something's strange.
Firstly I don't have rear vented seats than, in the owner's manual from the Jaguar website says fuses 25 and 27 are driver and passenger seat cooling/heating.
The schematic has different numbers.
I've just checked the fuse box and fuse 25 is 10A, fuse 26 is a 20 A (in the manual that's for trailer and my car is not provided with this) and 27 is missing.
If the manual is correct I just have to replace 25 and put a new one on 27 slot and hopefully it'll work.
I'm just a bit afraid not to put the wrong fuse in wrong place.
So in the end the questionis which one is okay, the manual or the schematic posted?
Thank you again
Don't trust the diagram in the Manual, it was wrong on both my XFS and XFR.
Instead go by the schematic on the underside of the fusebox cover.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:07 AM
Default no diagram

Hi,

There is no diagram on the back of the access pannel.
Only the fuses have numbers.
And, anyway the diagram does say what's for what.
I meant the electrical diagram posted earlier.
Is it 100% correct?

Thank you

Old 01-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So this is weird. I have a 2010 Xf supercharged 5.0. I wanted to test the seats so I go out to the car today, turn off the A/C, tunr off the radio. Nice quiet car.
I turn the seat coolers on, I hear the little fans under the seats turn on, feel the air move. Okay, thats how its supposed to be.
I turn them to heat.... no fan. no noise, just slowly warming seats.
Um?? I read here that the cooling AND the heating work with the fans.

Quick Reply: Heated/cooled seats