Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP F-Type Lowering Springs Product Launch

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

I know who your supplier is Stuart!
I have used their products for years and have always been happy with them, one reason why I went with your springs rather than some other brand.
But don't worry, I won't let the cat out of the bag!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I know who your supplier is Stuart!
I have used their products for years and have always been happy with them, one reason why I went with your springs rather than some other brand.
But don't worry, I won't let the cat out of the bag!
It's okay it's not really a secret anyway. We have a great partership with them. We operate in a completely different market from their own-brand products so it was a great opportunity for us to offer unique and unparalleled luxury and exotic products and for them to expand into a new area without having to do anything other than keep making awesome stuff!

We now have a lot more than just a couple Astons & Jags on offer from them, working on M3/M4, Audi TTRS, lots more to come.

Their quality is always top notch. We've never had a single product failure in 4 years working with them. Glad you like them!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Another example of what they look like won’t hurt? Will it?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mpowerr:
jrodrg (02-01-2018), Pax (05-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
Another example of what they look like won’t hurt? Will it?

Looks good.
About the same in the rear as mine but the front looks a lot lower than mine, I wonder why? Can't just be down to the heavier engine can it?
Or are the R front springs shorter than the S front springs? Stuart?

Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been contemplating these springs for a little bit now on my R.

I hate wheel gap but I also hate installing, rubbing etc with springs....

My concern is wear and tear on stock suspension components; I've used springs in the past and also blown struts out because of them. Any insight on this?

I've also contemplated adjustable coil-overs as an option taking this situation out of the equation.

I occasionally track my R and was wondering if a customer has a worse or better experience compared to the stock setup?

Tire specs..... on 20" wheels how big/ wide can we go before rubbing occurs.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Looks good.
About the same in the rear as mine but the front looks a lot lower than mine, I wonder why? Can't just be down to the heavier engine can it?
Or are the R front springs shorter than the S front springs? Stuart?
The V6 Base, V6S and V8S have a different spec front spring & damper.

Some angles look lower than other as well. Looks like that is shot from slightly above the car and slightly in front, car is on a slight angle with the RF being the lowest point so probably a little more compression on the LF.

That said the R does sit a little lower to my eye.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I put these on my 2017 F Type SVR. Love the results (both visually and performance wise).

The following users liked this post:
jrodrg (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrodrg
I've been contemplating these springs for a little bit now on my R.

I hate wheel gap but I also hate installing, rubbing etc with springs....

My concern is wear and tear on stock suspension components; I've used springs in the past and also blown struts out because of them. Any insight on this?

I've also contemplated adjustable coil-overs as an option taking this situation out of the equation.

I occasionally track my R and was wondering if a customer has a worse or better experience compared to the stock setup?

Tire specs..... on 20" wheels how big/ wide can we go before rubbing occurs.

Thanks
I hear everything you're saying. One of the reasons we started doing our own springs was so there was a 'sensible' option. So you weren't destroying shocks, cv joints, dealing with scraping and tire rub etc. That's why we go with a moderate drop. Like to think of it as OEM+

My friend has run his 2WD R on track extensively, probably a dozen days last year. Both before & after the springs. His initial feedback was that it was much better in medium & high speed corners, but that it was pushing a touch more at low speed.

Our drop will basically max out the caster adjustment on the front, you can get it *close* to OE spec but not quite so the added caster probably made it feel more stable in high speed corners. We made a couple of slight toe adjustments and he said the slow speed turn in and push seemed to be dialled out.

These aren't super adjustable coilovers, but with some attention to setup I think you should see improvements in lap time, less body roll and feel more confident in the quickest parts of the track.

www.velocityap.com

jrodrg (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I hear everything you're saying. One of the reasons we started doing our own springs was so there was a 'sensible' option. So you weren't destroying shocks, cv joints, dealing with scraping and tire rub etc. That's why we go with a moderate drop. Like to think of it as OEM+

My friend has run his 2WD R on track extensively, probably a dozen days last year. Both before & after the springs. His initial feedback was that it was much better in medium & high speed corners, but that it was pushing a touch more at low speed.

Our drop will basically max out the caster adjustment on the front, you can get it *close* to OE spec but not quite so the added caster probably made it feel more stable in high speed corners. We made a couple of slight toe adjustments and he said the slow speed turn in and push seemed to be dialled out.

These aren't super adjustable coilovers, but with some attention to setup I think you should see improvements in lap time, less body roll and feel more confident in the quickest parts of the track.
If possible do you have alignment specs on your friends car if i decide to go this route?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jrodrg
If possible do you have alignment specs on your friends car if i decide to go this route?
I'd have to do some work to figure it out. We had his alignment specs in a hard copy, but all we did was adjust toe & camber by 1/8 of a turn on the ellipticals. It wasn't a super-exact job just a bump in that direction to see if it produced the desired change in low speed turn-in and push.

www.velocityap.com

jrodrg (02-01-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Sponsor

www.velocityap.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
Crash808 (07-18-2018), F-Type-Type (04-26-2024), Pax (05-31-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Pax
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have now installed the VAP springs on my V8R RWD, using the shorter AWD front springs. Here is a before and after shot, both with 17 mm adapters installed:

Before

After

My initial driving impressions with the VAP springs (before wheel alignment) is that the car feels less floaty and soft in the front now, and the spring rate balance between front and back is improved. Together with the wider track due to the adapters the car now feels more like a sports car than before.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

As is my custom, I quickly jotted down a list of first impressions after installing a new performance mod (before I get used to it and the memory of the old setup fades away):

- handling feels "tighter", less floaty/wobbly, feels quicker to point the car
- easier to control/feel the back end; visceral feedback about rear end grip less convoluted by body roll/floaty suspension
- car feels "flatter" overall
- more confidence in corners of all types, but esp in higher speed chicane-like sections (more control in weaving)
- accel from a dig feels better; feels like power goes more directly to wheels, less into sinking suspension
- ride during everyday driving is no worse; tiny bumps are actually less noticeable; ostensibly due to progressive rate of the springs
- haven't scraped yet but also haven't tested any of my known marginal spots yet (i.e. ramp at work)

- handling changes are MUCH more noticeable than cosmetic (cosmetic not that noticeable to me; maybe more so with a side-by-side photo - rear end gap is visibly smaller; front end looks kind of the same? idk. Maybe needs time to settle? Took a "before" pic a few days ago, will take an "after pic" from the same spot soon. At any rate, I'm not as concerned with cosmetics as dynamics so not a big deal)

Old 04-20-2024, 06:56 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Where do you guys all drive your cars? I must scrape the from of mine at least twice a day. I reckon it would be virtually Undrivable as a daily car around here if lowered.
Amen. I scrape slightly just going into our driveway.

Old 04-21-2024, 12:48 AM
Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Amen. I scrape slightly just going into our driveway.
I almost never scrape but then again I've adjusted my driving style after 5+ years with this car.
For one thing, I always approach things like curb ramps and parkade entrances at a slight angle so that the wheel is on the ramp first and can lift the front end overhang over the ramp before it gets a chance to scrape.
I also negotiate speed bumps very slowly (sometimes to the exasperation of SUV drivers behind me, but oh well), and also with varying angles.

I haven't scraped at all with my VAP springs yet, but honestly I can't notice any substantial drop vs OEM. I'm beginning to worry that they were installed incorrectly

Old 04-21-2024, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I almost never scrape but then again I've adjusted my driving style after 5+ years with this car.
For one thing, I always approach things like curb ramps and parkade entrances at a slight angle so that the wheel is on the ramp first and can lift the front end overhang over the ramp before it gets a chance to scrape.
I also negotiate speed bumps very slowly (sometimes to the exasperation of SUV drivers behind me, but oh well), and also with varying angles.

I haven't scraped at all with my VAP springs yet, but honestly I can't notice any substantial drop vs OEM. I'm beginning to worry that they were installed incorrectly
Same here - very little scraping as long as I approach larger dips, hollows, drains, humps and bumps at an angle and go slow.
The drop is .75 inches or 22 mm and although that is not a lot to me it is very noticeable compared to the stock height which looks like an SUV.

Old 04-26-2024, 12:38 PM
Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
As is my custom, I quickly jotted down a list of first impressions after installing a new performance mod (before I get used to it and the memory of the old setup fades away):

- handling feels "tighter", less floaty/wobbly, feels quicker to point the car
- easier to control/feel the back end; visceral feedback about rear end grip less convoluted by body roll/floaty suspension
- car feels "flatter" overall
- more confidence in corners of all types, but esp in higher speed chicane-like sections (more control in weaving)
- accel from a dig feels better; feels like power goes more directly to wheels, less into sinking suspension
- ride during everyday driving is no worse; tiny bumps are actually less noticeable; ostensibly due to progressive rate of the springs
- haven't scraped yet but also haven't tested any of my known marginal spots yet (i.e. ramp at work)

- handling changes are MUCH more noticeable than cosmetic (cosmetic not that noticeable to me; maybe more so with a side-by-side photo - rear end gap is visibly smaller; front end looks kind of the same? idk. Maybe needs time to settle? Took a "before" pic a few days ago, will take an "after pic" from the same spot soon. At any rate, I'm not as concerned with cosmetics as dynamics so not a big deal)
I believe you really nailed the feeling you get when the car is lowered [and springs stiffened]. And since the H&R's lower it a bit more [1.2"], you definitely notice a more aggressive posture. Although I scrape things now and again, it's no big deal because the benefits accrued far outweigh any inconvenience of being wary of potential hazards.