XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Tilted Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Update,

cause of grinding noise upon start up? low oil lvls.... whooops....

But I believe I found the cause for my steering column turning clockwise and counterclockwise, otherwise being loose in a sense.

I purchased a used control module for the steering column, memory seat, & side mirrors (mine did not work) in order to be able to adjust the steering column as it sat too low for my taste. Well when attempting to use the steering control, I could hear the motor but the steering column sat in place! Well I found out why.. Please see picture below. The shaft from the motor isn't connected to the steering column. So the motor will spin freely because it is not connected. Well how do I get these pieces back together?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Keeping in mind the extent and tilt motors position sensor together with the motor and steering wheel is clocked other wise extends beyond a physical stop . The motor can be run with a battery charger ( high current arcing hazard ) and the sensor can be rewound to one end of the other . I had to remove the old grease inside the sensor to get it to more freely run as I believe there is a TSB on putting a stronger motor to overcome this

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fix-faq-53768/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-06-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Well the tilt and extend motor work for sure. The tilt motor is not attached as shown on the pictures above. The extend motor work as it spins, but from the video below I am not sure if it should be attached or if the steering column is seized. I cannot find the schematics on the steering column to see parts.

Would it be possible if you could observe yours and see what all moves with the extend motor? No need to remove the trim on steering column. I removed the bottom trim to get access. Sorry the video isn't perfectly focused either.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Will have to look in the morning as I'm afraid of the dark , it scares me . Column cover already removed . The bottom motor is the tilt . The extend motor reach cable shears but the tilt is decoupled in your previous still pic from the extend going to far . The jaguarclassicparts.com pic has the ignition switch on the wrong side for left hand drive .

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...g-column-upper

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-06-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Hello Parker!

Update, I pushed the steering wheel inward, joining the two shafts together and now being able to properly tilt the motor up and down... It still wont extend but as long as I can move it up and down I don't mind. So I cleaned up and put all panels back together.

I parked my car outside my garage and called it a night. Well I decided to run an errand right after and now the car won't start!! WTH! what I do to deserve this!!

I thought it might of been the battery, I start charging it for a while but nothing. I am not sure if the starter is engaging either.

Last edited by jacklynthejag; 02-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Put your finger on the starter relay and see if it clicks , if it does swap relay with the fog relay . Did you disturb the blue connector that mounts to the mini wall on the left side that is the ignition switch connector that needs a good ground on the wire at pin 5 toward the car side . Mine was corroded at pin 5 in the connector . The starter motor only is on pin 1 .

The new steering column may be at fault with the extend mode and you can swap back and see .

Attached Thumbnails Tilted Steering Column-x300-starter-circuit.png   Tilted Steering Column-x300-smog-relay-g.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-06-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:32 AM

Performed the tasks mentioned above and confirmed the relay works and power goes to the starter. I charged my vehicle overnight and started right up the next following morning. Well I don't know how to edit the Thread title, but RESOLVED.

Thank you Parker for the help!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

The following users liked this post:
jacklynthejag (02-08-2018)