XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Help me to become a Jaguar Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
You previously asked about fuel economy.

I drove an XJR/6 for many years. Typically it returned 12-13 mpg in city driving. On the open highway 18-20 mpg was typical although this could be edged up to 21-22 mpg under ideal conditions and a gentle touch. These are *USA* gallons.

A heavy foot will knock those number down in a hurry.

Cheers
DD
Wow - that is not good...i was hoping maybe 20 mpg-imp in city at least. With those figures, an LPG conversion makes a lot of sense I think.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

You previously asked about fuel economy.

I drove an XJR/6 for many years. Typically it returned 12-13 mpg in city driving. On the open highway 18-20 mpg was typical although this could be edged up to 21-22 mpg under ideal conditions and a gentle touch. These are *USA* gallons.

A heavy foot will knock those number down in a hurry.

Cheers
DD
Agreed, after 4 years owning a 1997 XJR6 I've consistently observed 18-19 combined average MPG in US gallons, and I drive 90% highway.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Damien Azzopardi
Wow - that is not good...i was hoping maybe 20 mpg-imp in city at least.

IMO, that's a tall order for a 4300 pound car with 1990s technology.

But once you fall in love with that magnificent and endless wave of torque from the supercharged engine your concerns about fuel economy may well be relegated to the "who cares?" column

Cheers
DD

Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Smile

IMO, that's a tall order for a 4300 pound car with 1990s technology.

But once you fall in love with that magnificent and endless wave of torque from the supercharged engine your concerns about fuel economy may well be relegated to the "who cares?" column

Cheers
DD
Haha...probably
I will be doing 30km a day, so around 180km (112 miles) a week...mostly mixed driving, as no highways on this island! LPG seems tempting as from Euro 1.32 per liter, it will go down to Euro 0.60 per liter! I guess the supercharger will still sound good on LPG

Old 03-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Damien,

Glad you got to the bottom of the engine size mystery. Regarding interiors I have had three XJs of different types/eras I don't recall many interior problems, but the key issue is many cars have beige leather and the bolster on the side of driver's seat gets worn, where you get in and out and then looks tatty. On one of my cars I drove it a lot for work and the beige leather on this area picked up the blue of my suit!

Plastic issues may arise in warmer places like where you live, but here in England sadly that is not an issue!

The other one to look for is the sagging headlining. I had to replace this on my XJR6 and to my surprise the people who make the fibre glass cloth covered replacement were close to my house and I saved loads on shipping. So look out for a sagging headliner. That will cost you a few hundred pounds/euros to fix, so is definitely something to knock the seller down on price if apparent. You can pin up the headlining as a stop gap measure, but that approach was not for me.

Cheers and do post some pics of the car if you buy it.

Nick

Last edited by nickdabs; 03-19-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdabs
So look out for a sagging headliner. That will cost you a few hundred pounds/euros to fix, so is definitely something to knock the seller down on price if apparent. You can pin up the headlining as a stop gap measure, but that approach was not for me.

Nick
If you do it yourself, then it costs under 100 pounds/euros and its a weekend project. May need a helping hand here and there though..

Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM

This one is black metallic from the outside and grey leather interior...maybe not as sensitive as the cream leather. Yes the sun is scorching hot here between July and September, 37-38 degrees are normal in the shade...so in direct sunlight it would be much higher....i hope the plastic interior can withstand such heat and stress.

I have a feeling that these cars will go up in value by time, they seem to be getting rarer by time.....which on the other hand makes you feel guilty to use them as daily drivers....anyone share this too?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 AM

Hello Group
I went to see the XJR - very good condition, interior is mint, the leather, the headliner...etc. It has only 40k miles on the clock. Still has the original tires - but need to be changed.

The front seats are electric, but i noticed the seat goes to the front, but it will not go backwards. Is it is the same motor (back/forward)? could it be the switch that is faulty? Also he said that the traction control module is not working, hence disconnected. It this a big thing? he showed me the cylinder part in the engine bay.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
D.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

There are 3 or 4 seat options on the X300 so will need to identify the seat . The seat ECU switches the polarity of the power to the same motor for fwd and backwards . you can apply power on the connecter pins to make it go fwd or backwards . The pic is for 1 seat option that has the memory feature . There are some details to the motor drive track installation that I'm not aware of but others do .

The insulation on the traction control actuator wires at the very bottom disintegrate and can be repaired before you order one as it may be in the same shape . A locale X300 disconnected their traction control and it somehow effected there idle . Keep in mind the Trac light in the instrument cluster will light when it actuates in use .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-25-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
There are 3 or 4 seat options on the X300 so will need to identify the seat . The seat ECU switches the polarity of the power to the same motor for fwd and backwards . you can apply power on the connecter pins to make it go fwd or backwards . The pic is for 1 seat option that has the memory feature . There are some details to the motor drive track installation that I'm not aware of but others do .

The insulation on the traction control actuator wires at the very bottom disintegrate and can be repaired before you order one as it may be in the same shape . A locale X300 disconnected their traction control and it somehow effected there idle .

Thanks for the info. So in this case since it is the same seat motor, the seat goes forward, so the motor is good - it did not go backwards. So it could be either a faulty switch or the ECU from what I can understand.

As regards to traction control, so it could be a quick fix too.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The upper seat models have a automatic seat reposition feature ( memory ) as you enter and leave the car and is controlled by a auto /off switch on the steering column so that is a way to test it other then the manual seat switches on the side . Sometimes liquids spill into the manual switches . See the video below at point 5:10 minutes .

The traction control may have a buffer to not show a fault light until after say 3 faults detected and may not reset the fault light until you reach the speed if 12.5 MPH after repairs like the interrelated antilock brake system so this could throw you off in troubleshooting . Will have to come up with a testing procedure

Have you verified with the VIN # if it was made as a supercharged engine or converted as you had a question before ?

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-25-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
The upper seat models have a automatic seat reposition feature ( memory ) as you enter and leave the car and is controlled by a auto /off switch on the steering column so that is a way to test it other then the manual seat switches on the side . Sometimes liquids spill into the manual switches . See the video below at point 5:10 minutes .

The traction control may have a buffer to not show a fault light until after say 3 faults detected and may not reset the fault light until you reach the speed if 12.5 MPH after repairs like the interrelated antilock brake system so this could throw you off in troubleshooting . Will have to come up with a testing procedure

Have you verified with the VIN # if it was made as a supercharged engine or converted as you had a question before ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvk_MlM0aw
Hello, thanks for the tips.
Yes it is a genuine XJR 4L the log books is also right, the seller quoted the wrong number somehow. It is in beautiful condition, better the expected. The interior is perfect. It is a very nice built car to be honest, you can feel the quality. My fear was that since i am 6'3 i will not fit, but i do fit well. The seat was not all the way back as i couldnt move it since it was not working. But i was ok as is, so a bit backwards will be even better. Head room was good too.

After seeing this i felt a concern, since it is in great shape, it would be a pity as a daily driver. You know, dings there and there in parking lots..etc... do you think the value will go up of these cars by time?