Received 3,056 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Still awaiting the pasty report!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,643 Posts

Hi Steve

Still no sign of the Pies! although I did see what looked like Pasties that were made in Store by one of the Supermarkets

But as they weren't from Cornwall, I decided to let those Pies go past my eyes and not make said intended purchase of same, in case they were wrong

Remember that Fridge I defrosted with my Axe that had 3 X 4 Pint bottles of Milk in, that were 3 Years Old

Well I found something else in there even more interesting, as once the rest of the Ice had melted I was able to open the drop down compartment that was at the Top

And inside that was a packet of long forgotten Pork Chops from a Supermarket that Closed down in (you better sit down for this!) in 2004!

So may be a Tad past their Sell by date but even so I though I would give them a try, just to see what they tasted like and it took 3 days to Thaw them out

At which point they turned Yellow which I thought was quite unusual for Pork Chops as I've never seen that before

But on day 4 the GF walked into the Kitchen and started Screaming! as by this time they were covered in maggots, which were running all over the Worktop

Hard to try and round them up, as they can move much faster than you think but eventually released them into the wild

At which point I turned the tray of chops into a makeshift Frisbee which was then devoured by a flock of Seagulls, so unfortunately I never got to try them

Old 03-31-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
Easy solution, OB: You've learned that whether it be hot water bottles or steering arms, the best way is just cut that sucker. So grab your chainsaw and cut a hole in your garage wall. Add hinges, and every time you need to work on that side, just open it up...

As to the joys of being self-employed allowing you to work whenever you like, I find that technically true, but the reality is more like working whenever the client likes....
Hi Someday

Great idea but there's just one little problem, or better make that a big one as there is a 30ft Oak Tree right by the side of the garage where I'd need to cut the hole

And underneath that Oak Tree is another XJS that's even more of a non runner than 'The Ice Princess'

Old 03-31-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
Will the handbrake do it, if you just crawl out on tickover? If not, place a substantial log across the correct stopping place that will chock the wheels when you get to it , again on tickover, and ram it into park as soon as the car pauses.
But not nearly as much fun as SDSD's idea!
Hi Greg

The Handbrake idea was also a thought that briefly crossed my mind, as apart from that I won't have any Brakes

The only problem being is I'm not sure if it works and to make matters worse 'The Ice Princess' is facing out of the Garage

Although I've started to call it my 'Shop' as that seems to make it sound like I know what I'm doing Lol

So if I try and move 'The Ice Princess' The First indentation on the Auto Box would be reverse!

Can you see where I'm going with this?

As if the Handbrake doesn't work it will crash into the Workbench that is right behind it, so unless anyone has a better idea

I'll try and Tow 'The Ice Princess' out of the Garage with my Ride on Lawnmower and then when She's far enough away from any inanimate objects

I can try the Handbrake idea and see what happens, because its so much easier to do things like Calipers outside in the daylight

Where you can see what you're doing and have room to move around, although there's yet another problem to be overcome

As the last time I tried I couldn't get the rear Caliper brake nipples undone and if one or both of those snap off 'It's Thank You And Goodnight'

Old 03-31-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Someday

Great idea but there's just one little problem, or better make that a big one as there is a 30ft Oak Tree right by the side of the garage where I'd need to cut the hole

And underneath that Oak Tree is another XJS that's even more of a non runner than 'The Ice Princess'
You have a strange garden, OB. Most people have to cope with weeds. Yours seems to grow Jaguars....

Old 03-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have any room to the other (not wall) side? If so, jack her up slightly, and slip some dollies (Barbie, Ken, whatever you have on hand) under the wheels.
Moving my 911 sideways in my garage - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Apparently, in a pinch even oil under the tyres will help.
Though perhaps if you could freeze four sheets of ice, jack the car up, slide them under, slide the car along the ice, and it stops right after it reaches the end of the ice.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

I can only shift her sideways if I move 'Cherry Blossom' back outside, which I am very reluctant to do, as she is my favorite XJS

That has already spent so many years, sitting outside in all weathers and having now got her 'up to snuff' I want to keep her that way

My Ultimate goal is to have 'Cherry Blossom' and '50 Shades' undercover in my Garage with 'The Ice Princess' on my Car lifter

So that I can get underneath to Spray her with Waxoyl and take care of anything else that needs doing but at the moment '50 Shades' is on my Car Lift

With 'Misty' right behind her, that can't be moved as my Land Rover is in the way and that's got a Flat Battery at the moment

And even if I was able to get that started, I've got 2 MGB's in the way and behind them is 'Carmen' my XJS with the Broken in Tank Fuel Pump which is going to be a PIA Job

To make matters worse '50 Shades' is due for an MOT and I also want to get 'Cherry Blossom' done at the same time but both of them need Taxing

Its getting so complicated that I need to make a Spread Sheet of what Cars are Taxed, which ones are Insured and which ones are MOT'd

As at the moment I have to tie labels on their Car Keys to remind me and if that isn't bad enough then the Weather certainly is!

March was a complete washout and Aprils not looking much better, as its been raining all day and Snow is expected on Monday

So I will probably wait until Tuesday, as I'm not sure if 'The Ice Princess' has got Antifreeze

Nicer problems to have I know but I've just got too many Cars!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

So wait, you have FOUR Jaguar XJSs? Or is it five? Ye gods.... You sound like the UK Jag version of Tyler Hoover, only without the Car Wizard (apart from the Wizard of Oz, I guess). You should start a YouTube channel, document your various repairs using video. It would be quite interesting.

orangeblossom (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

Six XJS's altogether although if you lived a bit nearer I might even gift you one of them on semi permanent loan

The Plan for today Weather permitting or not, is to get 'The Ice Princess' back on 4 Wheels, so that I will be able to Tow her out of the Garage if/when the Weather improves

She is up on blocks of wood at the moment and the Wheels are under the Table in the Kitchen, well three of them are anyway and the other one must be around somewhere

The Tyres themselves are shot away but good enough to turn her into a rolling Chassis to move her around, if I can find the Wheel nuts

'The Ice Princess' looks absolutely gorgeous and really lives up to her name, a one owner Car with FMDSH although I haven't driven her for about 14 years

Old 04-01-2018, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

SIX?!? Ye gods and little godettes.... Have you thought about joining the AA? Autoholics Anonymous? Why so many of the same model?

Actually, it would be cool if you had a pic of them all lined up or something.

Very generous, OB - not that I have the room. Actually, when it comes time to sell mine, I've got a fantasy of shipping it to the UK and doing a road trip there before selling it in the UK (apparently Japan-market Jags are popular over there due to lack of rust and perhaps better standards of care).

FMDSH? Floors, Mirrors, Doors, Stereo, Horn? Boy, that is fancy!

Last edited by Some Day, Some Day; 04-01-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

If you want to make some really 'Big Money' to pay for that road trip I should leave the XJS at home and instead come over in a Nissan 300ZX Turbo

Peanuts in Japan so I've heard but over here it could fetch a fortune

They recently had a 'Top Gear Special' all about Japanese Sports Cars which was fascinating, especially their crazy Japanese Car Auction Sales

Just a thought but maybe we could start by Shipping one over and see how it goes?

But why did I buy so many XJS's?

The answer is I honestly don't know, except to say that they are such a jaw droppingly beautiful Car, that it suddenly sort of turned into an addiction

Although you really need a 'brace' of them so you've always got a Car to drive if your other one breaks down

Old 04-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Well, there's certainly some cheap Fairladys (Fairladies?) over here. Here's a fun one on Car Sensor, for 6,000 pounds. Unlike that 300ZX, your idea isn't actually that insane. Except I have no idea of what it takes (legally) to import and sell a car in the UK. Should be able to find out reasonably easy. Not an insane idea at all, OB....

I'd like more Jags, but there are so many beautiful Jags that I couldn't just collect XJSs. An XJS, a SIII Daimler Double Six, a Mark II, a Mark IX, and maybe even an XJ-C. And that's without getting into serious money like the XK120 and E-Type.
Also, I don't own Blenheim Palace, so parking them would be a problem....

Old 04-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
Well, there's certainly some cheap Fairladys (Fairladies?) over here. Here's a fun one on Car Sensor, for 6,000 pounds. Unlike that 300ZX, your idea isn't actually that insane. Except I have no idea of what it takes (legally) to import and sell a car in the UK. Should be able to find out reasonably easy. Not an insane idea at all, OB....

I'd like more Jags, but there are so many beautiful Jags that I couldn't just collect XJSs. An XJS, a SIII Daimler Double Six, a Mark II, a Mark IX, and maybe even an XJ-C. And that's without getting into serious money like the XK120 and E-Type.
Also, I don't own Blenheim Palace, so parking them would be a problem....
Hi Someday I've sent you a PM

Some Day, Some Day (04-01-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

How To Pull A Princess!
Part 1.

Long Story Short

I've got to put New Calipers on 'The Ice Princess' and although I've done the drivers side which is facing out of my 'Shop'

I can't get to do the passenger side, as She is too close to the wall and it took me nearly the whole day just to put the Wheels back

Though that was another adventure all on its own which I will write about later

But right at this very moment in time, I've got 4 Scrap Wheels on the Ice Princess to give me a rolling chassis

The only problem being that I cannot drive her out of my 'Shop' under her own power, because of course, I don't have any Brakes

And though I think the Hand Brake works maybe enough to hold her, I really don't feel like 'Rolling the dice' just in case it doesn't

As for one thing She would be revving high, until the AAV Valve closes up and there is also a Workbench right behind her

Not helped by the fact when you come out of 'P' Park, the next notch is 'R' Reverse, so if the Hand Brake didn't hold here until you got into 'D' Drive

Then it would be 'Game Over'

And so the Plan (Please Stop me if you think I'm doing this wrong!)

Is to pull her out of the Garage with my Ride On Lawnmower, until I get her into open space, where I can Start her up and try the Hand Brake

Having Changed the Calipers on all my XJS's except this one, it is a whole lot easier to do it outside in the open

Where you then have much more room to move about

So while I grab a bite to eat (Still No Pasties Steve Sorry!) and get myself Psyched up, any advice from you guys would be welcome

They seem to have put the Tow/Ring 'Thingy' in an awkward place, as although I've got the Tow Rope as low as I can

Its right underneath the Spoiler and almost touching it

How to 'Pull a Princess' or maybe Not?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-04-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,932 Likes on 7,182 Posts

The plan sounds Ok to me.

Is the lawnmower up to the task? You wouldn't want to fry the clutch.

Does the surface slope downward anywhere along the path? If so, you surely don'y want to be run over by your own Jaguar as you tow it along!

Will you have a helper to steer?

Cheers
DD

orangeblossom (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Is that a dirt floor? Shove her sideways, then. I don't think dollies will work on dirt.
The garage looks like a sort of tent thing. How easy is the wall to remove?
Get some hay bales or something in the direction she's likely to crash into if the handbrake doesn't work.
Get some mates around (big burly ones) with the promise of some beers AFTER the car's been rolled out.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

love the electrics in your room. looks like i installed them

Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug

Seconds after that Photo was taken the Lawn Mower ran out of Petrol and my spare can of petrol was empty

So I had to tow her out of the Garage with the Merc, which was surprisingly easy, then when I got her outside in the open, I started her up and used the Hand Brake

Everything went according to plan, so Weather permitting Tomorrow I'll get working on the Calipers

Old 04-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

Its all done and dusted now, everything went according to plan but the Garage now looks a bit empty, with only one Car in there

Old 04-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Leo

Nothing wrong with my wiring, I learned how to do that at 'Light School'

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12