XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Reverse camera, iPod & USB added to 2008 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Man, I suck.
Well, at least I got a new Smart Key for $500.
The guy who worked my car said he couldn't find the Camera Enable location, said he'd never heard of "Enhanced SDD". Well, no wonder then. So a big FAIL on the Rear Camera.
THEN, I go to pull out and the DYNAMIC SYSTEM FAULT and the E-DIFF NOT AVAILABLE warnings start flashing in my face. First time EVER.
I pull back into the garage and say WTF or something to that end.
Dude pulls it to the shop again and comes back with FIVE PAGES of faults. Not kidding. Says he creates some faults when SDD is used, so whatever on THAT.
THEN says $390 bucks and I'll replace your battery, cuz that may be the problem.
WTF again??? I got a new one three years ago and have a CTEK. PLUS, why would that happen RIGHT WHEN I GET TO THE DEALER???!!!??? (<- modified interrobang)
Anyway, said it very well may be low voltage, but EVERYONE knows that. But, why NOW?
Blah-blah-this-and-blah-blah-that.... dude says change the battery, clear the faults, do a hard reset and see what happens.
Well, REGARDLESS of what happens I will NEVER bring it to KEN GARFF "JAGUAR DOWNTOWN SALT LAKE CITY" again in my life.
No camera and a broken car.
GEE, THANKS.
</rant>
So anyway, which of yous guyses' who know what's going on can give me a Step-By-Step procedure for enabling the camera??? I'll find a guy with SDD somewhere in my life... maybe I'll hit Vegas and check them out.
Have them clear faults and then disconnect both cables off of battery and touch them together to do a hard reset and you should be back to normal. Same thing happened to me last week at an Indy shop I thought they just didn’t know what they were doing, so that’s why I scheduled with dealer.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 04-03-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
It is a composite video source, regardless of whether an OEM camera or not, the only feature that requires the OEM camera but is not relevant to any of these cars prior to 2012 is the LIN network for the guidelines.

Do you already have one fitted, connected to the brown jack on the rear of the TSD and proper power connections made?
Everything is installed, hooked up and video checked up to the FAKRA, which is in the TSD after the check. Also checked center core ohms into the TSD to verify the connection of the FAKRA INTO the TSD.
Video checked good all the way, and the connection into the TSD checked good.
Side note: what is the GREEN FAKRA port on the TSD used for?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler

Have them clear faults and then disconnect both cables off of battery and touch them together to do a hard reset and you should be back to normal. Same thing happened to me last week at an Indy shop I thought they just didn’t know what they were doing, so that’s why I scheduled with dealer.
Already planned all that, but after I finish doing a charge on the battery (not going to have anyone but ME clear anything) - just to make sure. I SORT OF think that the techs didn't hook my car to a maintenance power supply, so they had my car on ACC the whole time. Is it still called Accessory on these new cars?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I thought that when using SDD that a pretty strong external power supply is supposed to be used. Maybe he just ran your battery down by not keeping it charged?

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I thought that when using SDD that a pretty strong external power supply is supposed to be used. Maybe he just ran your battery down by not keeping it charged?
jahummer told me that SDD will prompt you to connect charger to car before even starting. When I got done from the Indy shop last week and they cleared all faults when I got back home car my car wouldn’t start and battery was showing 12.8 volts which should be enough so I hooked up my Jeep to jump it and it wouldn’t jump, Jeep was showing 14 volts. Finally I removed cables from battery and touched them together to do a hard reset and placed them back on battery and XKR started right up and I haven’t had any other issues since. I know the Indy shop didn’t connect to a charger but the tech told me he didn’t even go into programming he was just looking for the camera feature in which he said he couldn’t find. But him just hooking up to the car caused all the faults. Anyways I have an appointment tomorrow with dealer so I will keep everyone posted on what happens tomorrow afternoon.

Cee Jay (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,368 Likes on 1,483 Posts

At least a 55amp mains power supply NOT a battery charger must be used , but this is not unique to Jaguar, until recently where some makes can now support full diagnostics and module programming simply with an iPad - Nissan/Infiniti for example, it has been standard practice for most vehicle makes to use a power supply whenever performing diagnostic service work. SDD will even prompt to connect the diagnostics (laptop) to a mains supply.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

25 amp for the 4.2 and 50 amp for the 5 litre cars although I used the 30 amp supply I bought for my 4.2 when I did programming on my 5 litre recently.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse camera, iPod &amp; USB added to 2008 XKR-psu.jpg  
Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, so maybe Clown-techs used a 25 on mine.
Anyway, it charged up last night within a few hours on the CTEK and today I clear codes then do a hard reset.
Yay.
Oh, and I found a "Euro Car Tuning Center" near me, it lists Jags on their web site. BUTTTTTT.... who knows if they have SDD or can access the CCF. I'll visit them after I do the above mucking about.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

I am about to head out to the dealer for my 1pm appt. My plan is to tell the technician that I would like the park assist camera option turned on which means you have to use SDD, go into service functions, then go into CCF (Car Configuration File) and then select park assist camera option to FITTED instead of NOT fitted. I will let you guys know how it goes...

Cee Jay (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe you should print out a step-by-step and hand it to the guy.
Hope it works for you.

TexasTraveler (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Update: Techs let me comeback and watch them do the attempt on programming and they followed all the steps, they can get to the Park Assist Camera feature and it’s greyed out, won’t let them change it to with camera. They clicked on everything. They seem to think that they need an approval code from JLR that will gain them more access and possible allow for more features to be turned on. They have put in a ticket and now I’m waiting. On a positive note they did turn on global window close for me, so I will at least get that out of this trip. Still hoping they can figure out camera...

Old 04-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

As you can see in pic the feature is greyed out in the modification procedure window...

Old 04-04-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

At least YOUR guys got a lot further than MY idiots. They couldn't even find THAT.

On a related note;
I went to reset my codes, but couldn't find my BlueTooth adapter for Torque. I searched everywhere I thought it could be, but nope. I DID however find my ORIGINAL LOST SMART KEY. It was tucked nice and tight between the driver seat and the center console. YAY, I got it replaced YESTERDAY for $510 stupid damn dollars.
Continue.... I busted out my old OBD2 tester, hooked it up and got ONE code, B10AC. Course, that could include the Brake not being depressed with the RUN button pressed. Cleared that and starter 'er up... No Cautions on the dash! Dynamic came on all happy, DSC worked As Required, and nothing wrong that I could see. Dang stupid Jag Dealer wanted $390 to change a perfectly good battery, and PROBABLY would have "found" other things that needed 'repair'.
Screw them.
STILL on the search for a local guy with SDD, the guy I found yesterday doesn't but there are still a couple I will check.
I'm going to bring your above picture everywhere I go.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

No go on camera. Tech said JLR told him that they would not give them access because it would give them access to all kinds of things like tuning ect. So my question is did JLR get smart on newer versions of SDD and take some of these options away from their techs? Because I believe the guys that have been successful have older versions of SDD. I did get global window close so not a total loss and they didn’t charge me a dime. So I went back to the garage and gave tech the only cash I had which was $60 and told him to take his wife to dinner on me tonight. They really did try for me and he even told me if I find something new to try to comeback and he would try it if he can. I was really impressed with these guys....

Cee Jay (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
No go on camera. Tech said JLR told him that they would not give them access because it would give them access to all kinds of things like tuning ect. So my question is did JLR get smart on newer versions of SDD and take some of these options away from their techs? Because I believe the guys that have been successful have older versions of SDD. I did get global window close so not a total loss and they didn’t charge me a dime. So I went back to the garage and gave tech the only cash I had which was $60 and told him to take his wife to dinner on me tonight. They really did try for me and he even told me if I find something new to try to comeback and he would try it if he can. I was really impressed with these guys....
My bet would be if they plugged into a 2012 or newer you wouldn't see that feature grayed out. May want to ask the tech if they ever plugged into a later model and saw the camera feature.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
My bet would be if they plugged into a 2012 or newer you wouldn't see that feature grayed out. May want to ask the tech if they ever plugged into a later model and saw the camera feature.
I do not think he has ever came across the park assist camera for any reason , he had to go through the list a couple times until we found it, because he was just looking for options that were highlighted, indicating that he had access to it. My thoughts were that 12-15 models came standard with camera so feature would not need to be accessed but I will differ to guys that know more than myself on this subject.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 04-04-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

So anyway, it looks like I now have a perfectly fine Inop camera that I can't get to work. Also looks like Texas ALSO has one.
Anybody wanna buy my parts?
NOBODY around be , as in Indies, even KNOWS of anyone with SDD.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

I just thought of something........ I went to the MUCH closer Land Rover dealer to see about getting a key. They couldn't help me with THAT, but they DID try and get my Lock Function fixed. It turned out to be the Boot Lid Sensor, they fixed that, replaced the Key battery and even Washed my car. Zero Dollars!
Maybe I will try THEM again.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I just thought of something........ I went to the MUCH closer Land Rover dealer to see about getting a key. They couldn't help me with THAT, but they DID try and get my Lock Function fixed. It turned out to be the Boot Lid Sensor, they fixed that, replaced the Key battery and even Washed my car. Zero Dollars!
Maybe I will try THEM again.
Recall from this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-171736/page6/

post #111 from Cambo;

"The programming to turn on the reverse camera function in a 2009-onward car is just one setting in the car configuration file. But this is one of the "locked out" settings that a dealer cannot change unless they get an engineering mode password from JLR Tech Support. And these passwords aren't given out on a whim, they have to be requested in writing with a story about why they need it, etc. My experience is that JLR does not want to do or endorse any modifications to vehicles, regardless of if they are new or well out of warranty, and the answer usually is no."

So you need to find someone with an unlocked system who can enable it for you.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Recall from this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-171736/page6/

post #111 from Cambo;

"The programming to turn on the reverse camera function in a 2009-onward car is just one setting in the car configuration file. But this is one of the "locked out" settings that a dealer cannot change unless they get an engineering mode password from JLR Tech Support. And these passwords aren't given out on a whim, they have to be requested in writing with a story about why they need it, etc. My experience is that JLR does not want to do or endorse any modifications to vehicles, regardless of if they are new or well out of warranty, and the answer usually is no."

So you need to find someone with an unlocked system who can enable it for you.
No dealers that I called can do this, CO, UT, ID and NV; they say that JagUSA refuses to release the required access.
Zero Indies within 400 miles even KNOWS anyone with Jag SDD.
I gave up.

Quick Reply: Reverse camera, iPod & USB added to 2008 XKR