XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vanden Plas Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vanden Plas Parts

I'm working on a 1999 Vanden Plas. Certain parts are really hard to find for this car.

We have the gas tank out of it and it appears someone changed the gas tank (based on markings on the tank, etc.). The biggest problem is it had a small leak and we found it coming from the return line where it enters the gas tank. Does anyone know where we can find the quick release clips that hold the fuel supply line and the return line in the gas tank?

Appreciate any help!

don

Last edited by GGG; 04-06-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model Year
Old 04-06-2018, 01:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Don,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't believe there are any "clips" holding in the lines to the bottom of the tank. If you're referring to the line disconnectors, then you can get a 5/16 " one from a pack at the local autoparts store (like this one:
Amazon Amazon
). Also, attached is a diagram of what the line looks like with the line disconnector on it.

Attached Thumbnails Vanden Plas Parts-fuel-line-disconnector.gif  
The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by AZjag1999
I don't believe there are any "clips" holding in the lines to the bottom of the tank. If you're referring to the line disconnectors, then you can get a 5/16 " one from a pack at the local autoparts store (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-37000-C.../dp/B0002SRCK6). Also, attached is a diagram of what the line looks like with the line disconnector on it.
Thanks for the reply AZjag1999! And, yes, there are "clips" that hold the lines to the tank. Virtually every (not going to guarantee you 100%) fuel line connection has a method of retaining the fuel line to a filter, carburetor, tank, etc., whether it's a threaded attachment or a quick disconnect. The quick disconnect uses an internal clip to hold the fuel line at the point of the flare. As you described in your reply, there is a tool (we have several sets at the shop to accommodate standard and metric sizes), and it's the retaining clip that you are pressing against in order to release the line from the point of entry in the tank.

In the attached pictures (and, not very good pictures at that) you can see one of the retaining clips on the left. The right side of the clip shows what it SHOULD look like, and the left side of the clip reflects how it has been damaged. Due to low fuel pressure, we set out to change the fuel pump. When we released the lines, the return line clip popped out...likely because it was damaged at the point someone previously had changed the gas tank. The picture on the right is an overhead shot of the same damaged clip.

So, I'm on a quest to find some replacement clips. Since the tank is out of the car now, I would like to find both of the clips.

I appreciate any help, so thanks again!!

don

Attached Thumbnails Vanden Plas Parts-dsc06340.jpg   Vanden Plas Parts-dsc06342.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by AZjag1999
I don't believe there are any "clips" holding in the lines to the bottom of the tank. If you're referring to the line disconnectors, then you can get a 5/16 " one from a pack at the local autoparts store (like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-37000-C.../dp/B0002SRCK6). Also, attached is a diagram of what the line looks like with the line disconnector on it.
Thanks for the reply AZjag1999! What you are describing is a tool that is used to release the retaining clips. Virtually every (not going to say 100%, but it's logical) fuel line has some kind of retaining method to secure it to a carburetor, filter, fuel tank, etc. In the case of many systems it's the retaining clip that you are releasing with the disconnect tools. The retaining clip snaps on to the fuel line flare and you have to release the retaining clip in order to pull the fuel line out of the (in our case) fuel tank.

Apparently someone previously changed the gas tank. In that endeavor, one of the clips was damage. While we didn't have any leaks, at this point we needed to pull the tank in order to change the fuel pump. (Low fuel pressure was causing running/drivability problems.) When we pulled the return line, unfortunately the damaged clip came out with it.

In the pictures, attached here, on the left you can see the clip I'm referring to. On the right side you can see the shape it SHOULD be in, and on the left you can see how the clip is distorted. The picture on the right is just an overhead shot to give you an idea as to the relative shape/size of this clip.

I would really like to find a set and replace the retaining clips on both the supply line and the return line.

I appreciate any help and with to thank you again for your reply!

don

Attached Thumbnails Vanden Plas Parts-dsc06340.jpg   Vanden Plas Parts-dsc06342.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,807 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Those lines go into the tank on the flat side (which goes toward the back seat), bottom center. You'll see 2 recesses where the lines clip in. I don't exactly recall, but I believe there was a tank design change from either 98/99 or 99/00.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a drawn schematic, this is shown just above the differential.

...and here's a direct shot I believe of exactly what your in search of...

Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 8,193 Likes on 4,940 Posts

I believe the part is called a STUFFER PIN (#7 in the parts diagram) (EBC9606).

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Highhorse (04-06-2018), Jhartz (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a link to help you search for those used parts for your projects...Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
They provide a few ways to do searches, from Nationwide to local and with pics if available along with the contact info and location of the yard. Should save you some gas out that way. I love Colorado, been there a number of times...did a bit of work by y'all in Colorado Springs (Reys Taco's...yay!) amongst elsewhere there.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Highhorse and motorcarman have hit upon what I'm looking for. As mentioned, we have the tank out of the car, just need the new "Stuffer Pins"!!

Thanks, for everyone's help. Now, the search continues for the new stuffer pins!!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

As usual, Bob pulls it off the top of the 'ol noggin'.... https://www.terrysjag.com/product/EBC9606.html

Old 04-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Here's a drawn schematic, this is shown just above the differential.

...and here's a direct shot I believe of exactly what your in search of...

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I believe the part is called a STUFFER PIN (#7 in the parts diagram) (EBC9606).

bob
Originally Posted by Highhorse
As usual, Bob pulls it off the top of the 'ol noggin'.... https://www.terrysjag.com/product/EBC9606.html
Yes, yes he did! And not only that, the applicable parts are on order, as we speak!!

don

https://www.coventrywest.com/store/c...ult/?q=EBC9606

The following 2 users liked this post by dhaymaker:
Jhartz (04-06-2018), motorcarman (04-06-2018)