F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Lights were off when I opened box, pressed and got 2 blue lights, then went to green. I'll check after a few trips and see if it changes. Didn't receive any instructions in box. Did anyone else?

Old 04-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Lights were off when I opened box, pressed and got 2 blue lights, then went to green. I'll check after a few trips and see if it changes. Didn't receive any instructions in box. Did anyone else?
Mine is same, two blue lights.
Connected mine to a trickle charger, gonna let that do its thing and see if I get any more than two blue lights.

As its got 4 lights I am just guessing all 4 should light up blue if its full charged but that is an assumption.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Those now with RS 30 when you press battery status, how many blue lights do you get, mine was 2 when I got it, still 2 now. Just wondering what others have got?
After driving close to 250 miles today I get just 2. Have never seen more. I'll put it on a maintainer and see if it will read more. I have indeed noticed that the car's system does not recognize the battery as being fully charged since the ECO stop never engages anymore. (No big loss)

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-29-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
After driving close to 250 miles today I get just 2. Have never seen more. I'll put it on a maintainer and see if it will read more. I have indeed noticed that the car's system does not recognize the battery as being fully charged since the ECO stop never engages anymore. (No big loss)
OK charged it, now all 4 light up, I've been driving my car for weeks, the battery always remained at 2 blue lights.

This tells me the cars alternator is not charging the battery but just maintaining it, as such I'd advice definetely giving the battery a charge with an approved charged for lipo every month to keep it healthy.

I am using a 0.8A lipo battery so it does take around 12-24hr, the charging takes 2-4hr, but it then spends around 12hr conditioning the battery.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

... as such I'd advice definetely giving the battery a charge with an approved charged for lipo every month to keep it healthy.
Good suggestion.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:54 AM

Good suggestion.
Yep.

I recommend this as yesterday I was at drag strip again and went to pump additional air in the front tyres with just ignition on, after a couple of minutes of the cars electric pump running, the pump just cut out, zero warning.

Then to my alarm the car was completely dead, zero power. I was like there is no way the battery can be flat, as the pump would of ran slow.

Anyway I got a mobile battery and connected that to the jump start locations which of course gave the car power allowing me to open the tailgate.

Upon inspection the RS30 still had 2 blue bars, but the battery had shut itself off completely.

I then remember reading the manual which says the battery will automatically go into sleep mode if it detects large current draw without engine running to prevent itself from going flat, at which point I kicked myself.

Anyway upon turning the battery back on, the car started fine, but of course I now have low battery warning on the dash, which I think is the car just been stupid as the battery had 2 bars and did several car starts without issue, but is why I have put it in charge to hopefully clear this error message.

Also remember if you want to add charge to the battery, make sure it is ON, but disconnected from the car as a lipo safe charger is recommended at 0.8A which is only very slightly more than what the car would drain with the boot light on etc, of course if your just conditioning then no need to disconnect.

In short, do not power stuff like tyre inflation pump, stereo on loud without the ignition on, this battery works great for starting and keeping the car running, but its not designed for you to run stuff with the car not running as it will put itself in sleep mode and if your boot is closed your pretty much stranded and will need a mate to come out with a jump start or powercell to put power to the tailgate so you can switch the battery back on or use the restart function.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Next time try to remember the Smart-Start feature when you drain down the battery (lol).

These batteries are superior to OEM for cold cranking amps, but have only 49-50% of the storage capacity. Therefore, you can’t do anything with this car without the engine running.
BTW, when the hatch is open, the trunk lights automatically turn off after a short time period of time if the engine is not running, so that should not be an issue for these batteries. Ignition on, air compressors, sound system will shut the battery down within minutes. Push the reset button on the battery and the engine fires right back up. Lithium power will not fade like standard batteries. Energy delivery will remain flat until the battery is mostly drained.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-30-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM

Next time try to remember the Smart-Start feature when you drain down the battery (lol).

These batteries are superior to OEM for cold cranking amps, but have only 49-50% of the storage capacity. Therefore, you can’t do anything with this car without the engine running.
BTW, when the hatch is open, the trunk lights automatically turn off after a short time period of time if the engine is not running, so that should not be an issue for these batteries. Ignition on, air compressors, sound system will shut the battery down within minutes. Push the reset button on the battery and the engine fires right back up. Lithium power will not fade like standard batteries. Energy delivery will remain flat until the battery is mostly drained.

I know full well about restart, but I could not get into the tailgate, its powered and with no power I could not open it, unless there is a manual release somewhere?

This was why I put a small power cell on jump start, but did not start the car using the jump just so the cars tailgate would open. It was then I could see the battery had simply turned itself off, turn it back on, car was alive again.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

I know full well about restart, but I could not get into the tailgate, its powered and with no power I could not open it, unless there is a manual release somewhere?
Doh! Forgot about that minor point. Yes, there is a manual release but it’s in the trunk area. However, on race days, you could take out the privacy panel and attach a string to the manual release in order to pull it from the cabin If the power drains for whatever reason.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

Doh! Forgot about that minor point. Yes, there is a manual release but it’s in the trunk area. However, on race days, you could take out the privacy panel and attach a string to the manual release in order to pull it from the cabin If the power drains for whatever reason.
It's be nice if there was a provision for a remote reset switch.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:07 AM

Yeah its a strange one, I mean if you put someone in your F-types boot, they are not gonna pull that release, they will just push the privacy panel up and give you a few left and right hooks with their fist.

But yeah in future will probably just pull that privacy panel just in case, but I won't be trying to run a tyre pump again unless car is running.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah its a strange one, I mean if you put someone in your F-types boot, they are not gonna pull that release, they will just push the privacy panel up and give you a few left and right hooks with their fist.
You might hurt your hand that way. The Unhingd solution is obviously a baseball bat.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
You might hurt your hand that way. The Unhingd solution is obviously a baseball bat.
Yeah I noticed that.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I noticed that.
Over on your side of the pond, you might favor ... er ... favour the "Shaun of the Dead" solution.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I noticed that.
“Unhingd” is not a gratuitous moniker. Some meaning comes with it.

(mostly from playing softball in 3 leagues simultaneously as a sexygenarian.)

Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

But yeah in future will probably just pull that privacy panel just in case, but I won't be trying to run a tyre pump again unless car is running.
be certain to run that string back there. I am fairly streamlined myself but had no chance squeezing over that bulkhead to reach that release handle.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Does this mean that if you have an LI battery you can't or at least shouldn't use the terminals in the engine bay to recharge the battery enough to electronically open the hatch and/or jump start the car?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Does this mean that if you have an LI battery you can't or at least shouldn't use the terminals in the engine bay to recharge the battery enough to electronically open the hatch and/or jump start the car?
First of all, with the Smart-Start feature, there should never be a reason to jumpstart the car. In any event, the electronics in the Antigravity batteries will protect the Li cells if you need to provide power via the engine compartment terminals.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,109 Likes on 1,408 Posts

However, without the battery load present, a smart charger might not turn on. Using another battery would be the best bet, I would guess.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Litblox battery received

The LiteBlox battey just arrived. Placed it on the scale to find out that it's slightly heavier than promised, but I think the exces 200 g (0.5lbs for those that still dont agree with Napoleon) isn't going to tip the scales - see pictures. Was a piece of cake to hook it up to the app on the iPhone, which provides status of each cell and the total battery and gives the possibility for de-activating the battery as an antitheft measure.

Gonna install it over the weekend and will let you know how that goes and how the battery functions in daily driving.

Attached Thumbnails Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery-img_2880.jpg   Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery-img_2879.jpg   Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery-img_2877.jpg  

Last edited by F-Type-Type; 05-04-2018 at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (05-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Group Buy: Lithium-Ion Battery