F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost good bye

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default almost good bye

Jag goes back after 3 years tonight and its replacement arrived Saturday. I have driven both over the weekend- I will miss the grunt and torque of the r (should've gotten the z06) but I wont miss the gnarly popping snapping angry exhaust. I will also not miss the cheap interior - the vette much nicer at 30 k less!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM

also anyone know a way to quick wipe the memory of the infotronics? I did enter a few destinations in nav to baffle the next owner - Alaska, san diego, seattle. Battery off reset too much work

Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd

Jag goes back after 3 years tonight and its replacement arrived Saturday. I have driven both over the weekend- I will miss the grunt and torque of the r (should've gotten the z06) but I wont miss the gnarly popping snapping angry exhaust. I will also not miss the cheap interior - the vette much nicer at 30 k less!

Cheap interior?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Don1954
Cheap interior?
Thats what I was thinking too; I have a friend with a Z06 and I much prefer my F type interior but to each thier own.

Anyhow, nice 'vette, enjoy.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

also anyone know a way to quick wipe the memory of the infotronics?
Pretty sure there's a menu option. I've only done that in rental cars though, and never in an F-Type.

I did enter a few destinations in nav to baffle the next owner - Alaska, san diego, seattle. Battery off reset too much work
What about driving directions to Hawaii?

Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Hmm Hawaii or perhaps even better Liverpool- back to its origin! Ill enter that as my last entry!

Yes the interior to me always seemed plastic and flimsy- Not really what I'd expect for 100k. We wont talk about the passenger side rattle that could NEVER be fixed since I received the car. I will reiterate the performance is what this car is about- off the line grin hard to beat. Steering in the vette seems sharper and lighter but Im still in break -in....

Re system wipe -Looked through all the menus on my heavy traffic drive to work couldn't find one and theres nothing in the manual

Old 04-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Battery reset won't clear the navigation or the radio presets. There's surely something to clear paired Bluetooth devices, and I expect there must be a way to delete destination information too.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Hmm Hawaii or perhaps even better Liverpool- back to its origin! Ill enter that as my last entry!

Yes the interior to me always seemed plastic and flimsy- Not really what I'd expect for 100k. We wont talk about the passenger side rattle that could NEVER be fixed since I received the car. I will reiterate the performance is what this car is about- off the line grin hard to beat. Steering in the vette seems sharper and lighter but Im still in break -in....

Re system wipe -Looked through all the menus on my heavy traffic drive to work couldn't find one and theres nothing in the manual
Liverpool, your geography of England isn't very good lol
Jags come from Coventry, no where near Liverpool lol

Old 04-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Super NICE looking vette but not certain how you can say that the Jag has a cheap interior in comparison to a vette though, They sure must have changed a WHOLE BUNCH in the last 2 years then because when we sat in a GS at the auto show a couple of years back and then sat in an SVR across the isle, there was no doubt that the Jag interior was BY FAR the superior interior clad in leather and comfort. The "brand new GS" with all the bells and whistles was typical plastic-y GM fair which was one of the reasons we shifted from the vette to the Jag with the full leather treatment on roof, top of instrument cluster, center controls, basically ALL surfaces in our R are covered in a nice, high-grade leather. That particular option added $2,200 to the MSRP but it's worth it IMHO. To my knowledge, Chevy doesn't even offer such luxuries in any of the vettes. What you SHOULD have bought is the new ZR1 vette but it is also the same MSRP cost as my R was. Man is that thing a BEAST! Even their own website doesn't really show much of the interior on their promo video at the link below so there is no way to tell if even this $120K variant of it has the supple leather available. Granted, it's supposed to be more of a race inspired version so likely more carbon-fiber than leather but I prefer the Jag's balance of being a leather-appointed racing car with blinkers myself.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...e-zr1-supercar

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-30-2018 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (05-02-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Super NICE looking vette but not certain how you can say that the Jag has a cheap interior in comparison to a vette though, They sure must have changed a WHOLE BUNCH in the last 2 years then because when we sat in a GS at the auto show a couple of years back and then sat in an SVR across the isle, there was no doubt that the Jag interior was BY FAR the superior interior clad in leather and comfort. The "brand new GS" with all the bells and whistles was typical plastic-y GM fair which was one of the reasons we shifted from the vette to the Jag with the full leather treatment on roof, top of instrument cluster, center controls, basically ALL surfaces in our R are covered in a nice, high-grade leather. That particular option added $2,200 to the MSRP but it's worth it IMHO. To my knowledge, GM doesn't even offer such luxuries in any of the vettes. What you SHOULD have bought is the new ZR1 vette but it is also the same MSRP cost as my R was. Man is that thing a BEAST!

2019 Corvette ZR1 Supercar | Chevrolet
No, they haven't changed much; my 2014 has the full leather package too (Z84P - extended leather pack) and it's head and shoulders above any 'vette interior I've seen. I'm sure the debate is due to the option package (or lack thereof) on the Jag in question.

Dave

ndabunka (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

My friend had a vette. I have taken a lot of trips with him. While the 'vette is an absolutely amazing car, I would say the interior is better than the Jag. Stationary it vibrates like you are in a Monster truck or something. Since that roof is detachable, it goes thump and thud on every bump and it feels like it will just come off. Everything from the leather to Alcantara feels much refined on the Jag in my opinion. You hear the rattles while driving the 'vette too. The buttons feel plasticky and filmsy as well. And there was this very annoying problem that whenever you opened up the trunk, you have to leave a door open, else the pressure built up inside never allows the trunk to fully close. The only way you could fully close the trunk was open like a window or a door, close the trunk, close everything else and lock the color. Please don't get me wrong, it is an amazing car, drives amazingly well, has an amazing exhaust note, looks good and value for money, it might be the better car based on your preference. But I am not sure if you can say it has a better interior. I hope you enjoy it. Good luck with it, looks brilliant. My friends was in Red.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally, my first choice was a Z06 Vette (2016 or newer). I had been researching for literally years and knew exactly what I wanted.
2015 models didn't have the power-close hatch, nor the front camera to prevent crashing the splitter when parking.
I even went in with my checkbook to custom order one (Shark Grey Coupe, Kalahari, Competition seats, 7-spd manual, 3LZ), but the dealer said my down payment was not refundable if I changed my mind. I was paying full sticker and that just hit me wrong...
I continually watched Z06 Vettes, F-Type R Jags, Audi R8's, and was even negotiating on a Porsche Macan Turbo when I ran across the car I bought; my 2016 F-Type R. The deal was too good with only 5000 miles and over 1/3 off sticker.
These two cars are very competitive. The Vette more visceral, but more dangerous to drive (RWD, 650 HP)... my wife also drives it (she prefers the Jag)
I think the Jag is more beautiful, while the Vette is a more radical design. I believe the F-Type's style will hold longer in future years, especially since the Vette is going mid-engine.
The Z06's stereo and instruments were better (the Jag's infotainment is pretty bad). The Vette is faster (in the dry).
Aftermarket parts, however, are hands-down in favor of the Vette. Wheels, exhaust, and other mods are more plentiful and much less expensive for the Vette.
All that said, I love the Jag and would buy it again, but the next car may well be the mid-engine Vette.
Just for reference, this is one car I was negotiating on, but the guy wouldn't drop the price to what I was offering. Car was lowered, 21" wheels, carbon fibre trim parts.

PS: Sorry to see you leave the Jag group Plmmd, but you will be in good company with the Vette guys

Last edited by Tork Monster; 04-30-2018 at 08:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tork Monster:
FType17 (05-01-2018), ndabunka (04-30-2018), Roadstergal (05-02-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Obviously one of each is needed in the stable. That is a nice looking vette.

Tork Monster (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 212 Likes on 189 Posts

I always go look at vette's and it's the interior that lets it down, especially the dash!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on your new vette. They are terrific cars and the interior, especially if you get the 3LT package with the leather dash and alcantara headliner, is better in this generation of vette than many give them credit for. I had a 2014 Stingray with that interior package that I sold to buy my 2015 R. I think the quality of the interiors in the two cars are fairly comparable if comparing to the upgraded version of the vette interior. The R looks slightly better style wise to my eye (purely subjective) but the vette infotainment system is much more modern. Both are great cars that are tremendously fun to drive and easy to love.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 AM
Default Issues

The port of exit was Liverpool so that’s where I’d send it. I tracked the ship that it came on 3 years ago. That being said I also had onstar active and I tracked it from bowling green

The 3lt interior is pretty nice I must say and I was in both over the weekend. the loaners I’ve gotten from jag have exactly the same interior no matter how far down the food chain. My wife has a new e and Mercedes beats them both for quality feel though they made the informatics overly complicated.

Sorry i I was never impressed by the jag interior and I used it for 20k miles of metro ny driving so I spent considerable time in there. It certainly isn’t 30k better than a vette

lets talk about the useless app that starts the car 30% of the time. I gave up long ago on that one.

I grant the supercharged power delivery was awesome nyc speed limit now 25. Thanks mr deblasio and your speed cameras all over the place

Old 05-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice color choice on the vett! - As for the quality for the F-TYPE was one of the things that attracted me to Jaguar. I am tired of the plastic feeling in US cars. Recently GM / Ford etc have stepped up their game in bringing the quality of these the fit and finish. IMHO the quality in the Jag is perfect and always one of two things could be changed but only minor.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

my business partner had a new model Vette for a few months, drove it around a bit, its honestly impressive....a lot better than what I was thinking.

the interior is slightly cheaper feeling

Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

The interior was really the only gripe about the Jaguar, I was smitten the first time I sat in the Audi...and it was all over.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

And this thread just shows why there are different makes and models with different everything. I LOVE the interior of my Jag (of course I do have the extended leather so pretty much every surface seems to be leather and not plasticy at all). I also recognize that not everyone will. I personally don't like the interior of that Audi (and many other cars), but it's all personal preference. As long as you are happy with what you have and love it, that's what matters. I considered a Vette when I first started looking at the Jag (I enjoyed playing with the HUD in my husband's car and the Vette had that), but it just wasn't the right car for me for right now and the Jag spoke to me. Most of the people who have any of the cars mentioned in this thread seem to me to be the type of people that a particular car just speaks to them for whatever reason and I'm just glad there are still people around who feel this way about cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by PBBarb:
Tork Monster (05-01-2018), User 42324 (05-02-2018)

Quick Reply: almost good bye