X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed a sub and amp and reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default installed a sub and amp and reversing camera

The sound in the jag was good but always lacked a bit at the lower end in my opinion.
So decided to install a small sub and amp ....not to reach chav levels of bass but just to add in those missing lower frequency's.

hopefully this pic works.

The sub is an old sub from a 15+ year old Philips surround system ...cost £0
The speaker 'guards' are old kitchen cabinet handles ....cost £0
the Amp I pulled from a old Jeep Cherokee in the scrap yard for £5.
all the wiring is left overs from industrial install's so also free.

The speaker has two bullet connectors making it easy to remove and the amp has ~1 meter of excess wiring behind the panel allowing me to remove both very easily and lift the boot floor.

The sub sound loads better than I had expected , probably helped by the carpet inside those little rear cubby holes.

Coupled with the double Din HU I installed last week ....only a cheap £28 MP5 HU from eBay..which I immediately pulled apart and added heat-sinks to the SOC and Ram with thermally conductive epoxy...over heating seems to kill most of these cheap Chinese HU's.
The double din fascia and ISO harness from eBay were only £18,

The reversing camera which came free with the HU was installed inside the boot space ... I did this in my old rover 75 estate as well and I think gives me a better viewing angle.and greatly improves the longevity of the cheap Chinese camera''s,
The reason for the large hole is to allow me to poke the RCA and power connections though to hide them.

So for a grand total of £51 I have a 7" HU which plays movies and music from Micro SD cards or USB / a sub install and a reversing camera .... half a day well spent me thinks.