XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A new stance for my Jag XK60 edition.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Too bad the front plate can't be miniaturized so it wouldn't be noticable.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

I thought I wouldnt like it, I really did. After installing it and making the plate a little crooked it reminded me of my younger years with lowrider trucks when you have the plate to the side and crooked in the tailgate. Right then for some reason I now like the look. I personally think it fits the crazyness thats going with the design. I totally understand your point of view as well and that would also be another geat idea. Ill stick with this one until maybe Im sick of it. And honestly ill mostly be taking the car out for car shows and show and shines and thats when I will remove the plate all together. Thanks for the input Ranchero, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
IMHO the offset front plate mount has a huge negative impact on the 'look'. Its in a bad location design wise (too high and doesn't flow with anything on the body) bordering on lazy as far as how it was installed (meaning that it looks like you gave up on trying to find something better). Off the shelf parts that don't fit on custom cars are a huge turn off.

I think this would be a great opportunity to do something similar to your swan neck stanchions that either mount to the splitter or off the lower grill and hold the plate @ 1" away from the bumper below the sickspeed decal. Make it float in space while not trying to attract attention to it, make it cool. Make it fit the space and flow with the body lines. That's what I want to do to mine if / when I ever redo the bodywork. Not a fan of the plastic plate mount on mine either.

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:37 AM

Right! I wish! Its stupid I have to have a front plate anyway. Motorcycles dont, why do other vehicles. When I get my new custom plates in (I changed them GAM3OVR instead of JAG 007) then maybe it will also look a little better. Fit the overall design a bit.

EDIT.. nevermind on the GAM3OVR custom plate.. they denied that one.. but they approved GAM3R. I used to play video games professionally and still play competitively from time to time.. so gamer fits me well. My other two choices were L8RNOOB and 8BITJAG.

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Too bad the front plate can't be miniaturized so it wouldn't be noticable.

Last edited by Ridicrick; 05-04-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,410 Likes on 3,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I had one cut for $22, but it mucked up the burr on the guy's cutter so he wouldn't cut another one. My blank was aluminum. SO, I got another smithie to order me a brass blank to cut, cost $28 for blank and cut.
Well, CRAP. My locksmithy dude got the key he ordered and it was aluminum and not brass. He tried cutting it again and again it melted SO, now I will go buy a piece of brass stock and cut my OWN blank and have dude key that one. I checked buying key blanks again and can only find aluminum ones. Where do you guys get aluminum keys cut??? I'm zero-for five now.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridicrick
Right! I wish! Its stupid I have to have a front plate anyway. Motorcycles dont, why do other vehicles. When I get my new custom plates in (I changed them GAM3OVR instead of JAG 007) then maybe it will also look a little better. Fit the overall design a bit.

EDIT.. nevermind on the GAM3OVR custom plate.. they denied that one.. but they approved GAM3R. I used to play video games professionally and still play competitively from time to time.. so gamer fits me well. My other two choices were L8RNOOB and 8BITJAG.
As others in the exotic car world do just go without the front plate and risk the tickets. Sometimes it's just a fix it ticket and others maybe a few hundred bucks. You can also use the Jag front mount which isn't to bad but your choice. I've seen the tow ring mount on other cars and it looks out of place so I'm not a fan but it isn't my car.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Well, CRAP. My locksmithy dude got the key he ordered and it was aluminum and not brass. He tried cutting it again and again it melted SO, now I will go buy a piece of brass stock and cut my OWN blank and have dude key that one. I checked buying key blanks again and can only find aluminum ones. Where do you guys get aluminum keys cut??? I'm zero-for five now.

I didn't realize my keys were aluminum until I checked. The locksmith cut my spare without any issues though......is it possible your smithy was using a dull cutter? I've not bean able to locate any in brass yet myself.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Naw, his whole machine is literally brand new as of three weeks ago. I think it's TOO sharp or speedy. It galls up and tries cutting the key with aluminum clogging the burr teeth. Other places have resulted in similar situations, one key was salvageable and worked after a manual clean-up.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

WD40 or bacon grease works well for cutting aluminum.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

I usually use Type F tranny fluid on aluminum, myself, but I'm pretty sure Mr Locksmith dude wouldn't appreciate a messy mess all over his brand new tool.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:45 AM

While I wait for the day to come soon when I get my keys for my car I figured why not start mocking up my fenders to see for the first time how the wheels and fenders really fit together. With 1" wheel spacers these are the results. The car can go much lower and my quickjack is stopping the fenders from smashing down onto the tires so what you see here is not yet the finished look. The fender flares will be mounted a little higher and of course wrapped to match the car, and of course the fenders will be cut a little bit so when the car is fully dropped the tires do not touch. These pictures really do it no justice, the cars stance looks amazing and everything is starting to come together nicely just as I imagined with my little model car.

Btw the large side diffusers are not really going to look like that, I just couldnt get them under the car because the quickjacks were in the way. They look like truck running boards in the pics..lol On one of the pics I photoshopped the side diffuser to look how it will actually be. Im starting to think I need a hotwheels decal on my car.

TM08XKR (04-26-2022)
Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Awesome!

Old 05-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Running Boards!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:43 AM

Today was the big day. I spent 4 hours and cut up my fenders. No turning back now. Ive never felt so nervous and unsure but when it was all over it was well worth it. lol It would have cut through like butter but the inner layer on the rear fenders made it a pain in the a$$. Tomorrow I will grind the cuts down to a nice perfect edge and put the chassis saver black stuff all over the place just to seal it all up.

The car now lowers as far down as it can go with the air struts without the tires touching. This is the first time I really got to test the fenders true fitment and they are perfect. I will mount and wrap the fenders tomorrow night.

TM08XKR (04-25-2022)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the way the wheels/flares look!!!!

Old 05-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,006 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridicrick
No turning back now.
OMG! You really did it! Won't be long now.

P.S. See you're using Quick Jacks. How do you like them? Work well?

Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM

I love the quickjack setup. I got the 5000 model as it lifts 5000 pounds, which will do most cars and many trucks. The smaller model would be pushing the limits with our jags. I had one fitting fail in the first month and leaked all over. I called quickjack and they overnighted a new fitting (actually a few extras as well) for no charge. So they are pretty amazing when it comes to customer service.

So I replaced that fitting and filled the tank up with the fluid and thats when disaster struck. 2 weeks ago the night before a thief broke in and took my only key I was lowering my car to the ground and my reservoir tank pretty much blew up, bent all to hell and fluid everywhere. This was totally my fault as I somehow put to much fluid in the system and it had no where to go besides forcing itself out the weakest point.

So I decided to repair it myself and bend the metal back and seal it up good and reinstalled the tank. Super easy job and it works 100% now again. So overall this is an amazing product and should never have issues unless its user issues or a simple fitting leak. It was the ONLY model that just barely made it under my car (with the H&R lowering springs). It been sitting on the lift for all of these months with no issues and the bottom of the car goes up 18" so there is plenty of room to work under the car as well.

Originally Posted by kj07xk
OMG! You really did it! Won't be long now.

P.S. See you're using Quick Jacks. How do you like them? Work well?

kj07xk (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,246 Likes on 2,375 Posts

I looked into Quick Jack before deciding on Kernel MR6K-38 lift. Ultimately I wanted one lift for both my car and my wife's SUV and 5000 lbs. was too close for comfort on her SUV. I wanted the higher lift room of 38", which can also be set lower if needed. Lastly I just bolted my lift to the floor and drive/ park over it. It works great in the small garage space I have.

The Quick Jack has to be moved in and out of position with each use and stored. It looks like the supporting parts take up a workbench stored. But the portability can be a good thing depending on your needs.

The Quick Jack sales manager sent me a pic of his XK on the quick jack. Then I watched this video. It seems to work great, just not quite enough for me personally. Too much set up and tear down. Sorry for the thread hijack. I'm really enjoying your work.

kj07xk (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:39 PM

I have the newer version than whats in that video, just a little faster and better locking/unlocking system. My father in law has a lift very similar to the one you have and my only issue was its too high for my car to go over. The quickjack literally was the only one that would work on the entire internet that I could fine. A buddy of mine with his stock new corvette had the same issue and had to get a quickjack. And with your lift I cant roll under it with my rolling cart, at least not the middle section. But I do love your lift for working on the exterior of the car, its higher in the air and works great for my father in laws 50s chevy truck he is working on. Both have pros/cons thats for sure.

Originally Posted by Sean W
I looked into Quick Jack before deciding on Kernel MR6K-38 lift. Ultimately I wanted one lift for both my car and my wife's SUV and 5000 lbs. was too close for comfort on her SUV. I wanted the higher lift room of 38", which can also be set lower if needed. Lastly I just bolted my lift to the floor and drive/ park over it. It works great in the small garage space I have.

The Quick Jack has to be moved in and out of position with each use and stored. It looks like the supporting parts take up a workbench stored. But the portability can be a good thing depending on your needs.

The Quick Jack sales manager sent me a pic of his XK on the quick jack. Then I watched this video. It seems to work great, just not quite enough for me personally. Too much set up and tear down. Sorry for the thread hijack. I'm really enjoying your work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqTFQuPHeY

Sean W (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,246 Likes on 2,375 Posts

I was surprised the XK cleared the lift frankly. I originally bought it for my Super V8. I use a mechanics pad anymore as speed is no longer my need, but yes it's a PIA if you're used to a creeper.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

You hydraulic tank reservoir should have a vented port to help prevent it blowing like that.

Quick Reply: A new stance for my Jag XK60 edition.