XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A new stance for my Jag XK60 edition.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Ridicrick,
This exact scenario has happened twice to my car over the past 6 months. Car is running fine one day, the next upon start up, it's running really rough, tons of smoke coming out of the rear, and the odor of unburnt gas coming out of the tailpipes. In each case, it was traced to the ECU which has somehow lost its information (therefore not able to tell the engine, fuel injection, etc. what to do. Both times, including about two weeks ago, we reflashed the ECU, and the car went back to running perfectly. Now why it lost the programming in the first place is still a mystery.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,006 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Ridicrick,
This exact scenario has happened twice to my car over the past 6 months. Car is running fine one day, the next upon start up, it's running really rough, tons of smoke coming out of the rear, and the odor of unburnt gas coming out of the tailpipes. In each case, it was traced to the ECU which has somehow lost its information (therefore not able to tell the engine, fuel injection, etc. what to do. Both times, including about two weeks ago, we reflashed the ECU, and the car went back to running perfectly. Now why it lost the programming in the first place is still a mystery.
You may be on to something here. He just had new keys programmed by a dealer. Maybe they screwed up his ECU while programming the keys?
Maybe just letting the car run awhile to relearn its setting could smooth things out?

Edit: Oops, he did say it won't run...

Last edited by kj07xk; 05-11-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,246 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridicrick
A friend asked me if the engine is diredct injected and if so dont mess with any fuel lines because they have super high pressure. He also said for some reason he is thinking antifreeze in the crankcase.... another friend of mine said he thinks it looks like oil on top of my pistons. So many different scenarios based on just the video and my description.. Ill check the oil tonight, check the codes if there is any. It is strange the coolant leak fixed itself, unless it hasnt ran enough to go through the engine to get back to the leak.. idk.. But so far it hasnt leaked a drop from the engine since I filled the coolant tank.
White smoke is indicative of water and you definitely have that after viewing the video.
Fuel in the exhaust burns black
Oil burns gray
The 4.2 isn't direct inject. Those are the 5.0 engines.
Yes the fuel lines are pressurized and that's what Ranchero was referencing. You can check to see if the coolant leaked into a spark plug well and is finding it's way into your system that way.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,246 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Sabotage? Pissed in your gas tank or a gallon of water?

That much moisture in the exhaust screams your fuel system is compromised. You should be able to drain some out of the Schrader valve and let it set up in a glass for 1/2 hour and see if the water separates from the fuel.
This.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

Please dont tell me a relflash is me loading up my car on a trailer again, driving it 2 hours to the jaguar dealer and paying the dealer a few hundred to spend 10 minutes with his wireless computer cart to do the work.... ugh.. fml

Originally Posted by tberg
Ridicrick,

Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 PM

This really sucks. Im in a situation where I have the car now stuck in a friends garage, not a single shop anywhere local that knows anything about jaguar. I dont have much for friends that can come and work on it in the garage. Im for the most part completely out of funds for a very very long time. Its starting to look like I am SOL for the rest of the year, maybe much longer. I guess I should have listened to a few friends, dont buy a car you cant afford to fix. lol.. What I need is to find is a nice shop that knows how to fix it and will do it for free for the exchange of their website/shop logo on my car. Win/Win for both of us. With all the attention its getting from one single picture of it on the trailer it will really go viral on some nice youtube videos.

And actually what bothers me most is our big car show here locally is in two weeks, the same day as my first family reunion in 15 years... so many people excited to see it and now its a big let down, including my little 5 year old daughter who is really excited to cruise with me for the car show... ugh..

Originally Posted by Sean W
White smoke is indicative of water and you definitely have that after viewing the video.
Fuel in the exhaust burns black
Oil burns gray
The 4.2 isn't direct inject. Those are the 5.0 engines.
Yes the fuel lines are pressurized and that's what Ranchero was referencing. You can check to see if the coolant leaked into a spark plug well and is finding it's way into your system that way.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Before you go there, follow Ranch's suggestion and pull some fuel from the Schrader......Look at what was around you before it was transported.....coolant leaks and the like that may be compromising the ignition system and water in fuel, etc..

This mod build is nothing short of the ****! This will iron out and then you'll be on top of the world!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:15 PM

I will for sure follow Ranchs suggestion first thing. I do have one guy who knows a lot about american engines and he said he will come over tonight and take a look at it, any help is better than no help. Ill keep my head up and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Before you go there, follow Ranch's suggestion and pull some fuel from the Schrader......Look at what was around you before it was transported.....coolant leaks and the like that may be compromising the ignition system and water in fuel, etc..

This mod build is nothing short of the ****! This will iron out and then you'll be on top of the world!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

I know I am way out of my league here in discussing electronics of these cars, so take this for what its worth. But if it is electronic, a possible hard reset (disconnect both battery terminals, touch them together, reconnect) would be worth a shot... Just throwing it out there...

Old 05-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Anything is possible, Ill try this too. Thank you.

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I know I am way out of my league here in discussing electronics of these cars, so take this for what its worth. But if it is electronic, a possible hard reset (disconnect both battery terminals, touch them together, reconnect) would be worth a shot... Just throwing it out there...

Old 05-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ridicrick
This really sucks. Im in a situation where I have the car now stuck in a friends garage, not a single shop anywhere local that knows anything about jaguar. I dont have much for friends that can come and work on it in the garage. Im for the most part completely out of funds for a very very long time. Its starting to look like I am SOL for the rest of the year, maybe much longer. I guess I should have listened to a few friends, dont buy a car you cant afford to fix. lol.. What I need is to find is a nice shop that knows how to fix it and will do it for free for the exchange of their website/shop logo on my car. Win/Win for both of us. With all the attention its getting from one single picture of it on the trailer it will really go viral on some nice youtube videos.

And actually what bothers me most is our big car show here locally is in two weeks, the same day as my first family reunion in 15 years... so many people excited to see it and now its a big let down, including my little 5 year old daughter who is really excited to cruise with me for the car show... ugh..
Deep breath, good air in, bad air out. Repeat 20 times and relax. Your car is in a friends garage, not dead at some punk assed cruise in getting buggers flung on it. TV shows can turn complete garbage into a show car in under 45 minutes so two weeks is plenty of time to get this sorted out.

In scale of cost, follow my first suggestion and get it back to OEM configuration with a full battery. If it'll start, leave it warm up without hitting the gas so it learns correctly. Maybe sounds like a dumb question, but what's the battery reading right now?

Schrader valve will be on the fuel line from the pump up by the intake. It looks like a test port for an air pressure gauge. You can also buy a disconnect tool for < $10 to pop the lines apart, slide a rubber hose over the end and then prime the engine while draining some fuel into a bucket or big glass jar. None of this is expensive and the prime electronics are pretty robust. Do the voltage check and hard reboot before moving forward.

We'll fix this if you can follow directions and post pics / video of the results as well as a good description of the symptoms and results of the tests. More relevant info equals better + quicker results.

PS, I'm currently routing new brake lines on my '71 F-350 Cummins swap because bad things happened while changing the one year old PS box today... At least your not laying in a puddle or red juice why brake fluid drips in your eyes so relax and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

How about a long drawn out description of this problems history from the beginning and what you've done about it. Bonus points for punctuation.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

In scale of cost, follow my first suggestion and get it back to OEM configuration with a full battery. If it'll start, leave it warm up without hitting the gas so it learns correctly. Maybe sounds like a dumb question, but what's the battery reading right now?
+1 especially if its been sitting for 2 weeks. XKs are notorious for this. Many members have to keep a battery tender hooked up.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Doesn't matter that it says Jaguar on it, it is still a car and a very easy one to work on at that, no mystical mystery quirks, all is fairly straight forward.

How old is the battery? Have you tested the battery to make certain it is 100% up to spec? As suggested, either disconnect the battery and charge it full or replace it, your buddy's shop may even have a good battery and alternator tester. As you probably know by now, these car are super finicky with battery voltage and load. Also as suggested, I would indeed disconnect all of your electrical goodies for now so the electrical system is not being bogged down and you definitely may want to consider a second battery for your accessories as in stock form the car is already at its capacity.

Also a quarter tank of 5 month old ethanol gas could be a big problem, ethanol is hydrophobic and you have a gas tank full of air in addition to the age of the fuel. Get that old gas out and fill it up with fresh fuel.

Last edited by jahummer; 05-11-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I just went through the 15 pages of this thread today, and am really impressed by Ridicrick's amazing transformation of his XK, despite the adversity he's had to deal with throughout. Truly fascinating!

Regarding the engine coolant leak, if you want to see what the valley hose looks like, see my post #10 in this string, fourth photo which shows the original valley hose in my 2007. The other end runs to the throttle body. It is necessary to remove the intake manifold for access.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ervice-186165/

When funds and time permit, it would be a good idea to consider a preventive replacement of the engine thermostat housing, the nine engine coolant hoses and the coolant reservoir, to avoid similar issues in the future.

Regarding the engine misfire, you've gotten good suggestions about checking the fuel quality and looking to see if engine coolant may have gotten into one or more spark plug wells. It is also a great idea to disconnect the aftermarket electronics for now, as something might be inducing noise into the 12V bus causing communications and other problems with the various ECUs.

Last edited by Patrick Wong; 05-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a perfectly running 2011 XKR, but seventeen days after purchase, when I went to start it, it exhibited the symptoms described - gas-smelling exhaust, inaccurate OBD II codes, and it would shut itself down after about 20 seconds. Battery and throttle body were replaced, no love. Turns out, the fuse box under the hood in front of the driver's seat had gotten water in it and some corrosion developed. The suspected culprit was a previous dealer or owner pressure-washing the engine (truly a dumb thing to do). At least it wasn't a blown fuel injector rail, which exhibits similar symptoms, but different codes.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Crickets?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Well here is the latest news. My oil has tons of water/coolant mixed in with it. 100% of everyone who came and looked at it (4 mechanics) said head gasket for sure.

So here is the deal. One of the mechanics agreed to work on it for a few cases of beer and a little bit of cash. He lives a block away and has a cherry picker and tons of tools to bring over. He has been a mechanic for 40 years but never messed with a jaguar. He wants to pull the entire engine and said he will do this as long as I do my research and find out a few things first and that I help him of course.

1. He said find out how many man hours it takes to remove this engine. For him working on most cars it takes about 4 hours, but when he looked under my hood he said it looks to be more like 10 hours maybe will all the other stuff in its way.

2. He said find out if anyone else has removed a jaguar engine and if there is anything we need to know about, problems we may run into and so on. Special tools and what not.

3. Find out what all is best to replace while having the engine out. Water pump, coolant lines, gaskets and so on.. to get a list if possible.

4. Find out if there is a manual I can download that gives us some directions or pictures of pulling out the engine.

He wants to start this as early as tomorrow because we are going to try to finish it by the 24th of this month so we can get it in the show N shine and the car show. No idea if this is possible or not but we can try.

This guy has a collection of nice 70s muscle cars, some street some track. All that he built himself. So he does know what he is doing for the most part.

Crickets?

Old 05-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

From the description you have given I agree it sounds like a head gasket. Before pulling the motor I would pull the plugs and inspect them and see what that tells you. Then I would do a compression check to confirm a head gasket problem.

The XK service manual says the heads can be removed with the engine in place. While I have never removed the heads or engine from a V8 Jag, I have done both on a few other cars. If I was doing the work I would leave the engine in place and just pull the head(s). It seems like a LOT of extra work to pull the engine if you don't have to.

Here is a link to the service manual for your car.

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...150Service.pdf

Last edited by davchr; 05-13-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:51 AM

The mechanic neighbor is coming back over today to check the plugs and a few other things as he will have more tools with him this time. Thanks for the link to the service manual, going to print that and make it a nice book for him to look through. I agree that it seems like much more work to remove the engine, hopefully he will agree maybe after looking more into this engine.

Originally Posted by davchr
From the description you have given I agree it sounds like a head gasket. Before pulling the motor I would pull the plugs and inspect them and see what that tells you. Then I would do a compression check to confirm a head gasket problem.

The XK service manual says the heads can be removed with the engine in place. While I have never removed the heads or engine from a V8 Jag, I have done both on a few other cars. If I was doing the work I would leave the engine in place and just pull the head(s). It seems like a LOT of extra work to pull the engine if you don't have to.

Here is a link to the service manual for your car.

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...150Service.pdf

Quick Reply: A new stance for my Jag XK60 edition.