XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
An interesting spot! Any idea whether cars -52 and -53 are Portfolios and in Australia?

Today I drove and enjoyed life, until I noticed my headlights were looking a bit cloudy on the upper part. I had noticed this before, but it seemed to disappear when wiped with a wet sponge, though now I realized it soon re-appeared. I was rather shocked when I had a closer look:

What is this? Have the headlights perhaps been polished before (maybe right before I bought the car half a year ago) and this is some crappy clearcoat job failing?

My previous 2007 XK had this in the worst way. It looked like it was sandblasted. I bought the car knowing it had that damage. Luckily.. it can be fixed by wet sanding and polishing. I had a mobile service do it for $120 (he spent hours working on them). It made them look brand new. The crazing look isn’t the most common repair (the guy was nervous as he didn’t know if he could fix it). Wet sanding through the various grits did wonders. Here’s a before and after pic.

Last edited by S-Typer; 05-15-2018 at 10:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by S-Typer:
Jahmiata (01-02-2020), JeremiahLovesJags (04-11-2022), Yus (09-09-2021)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

Reverse Park Assist Camera activated!!! Stoked about this one!!!

Thanks to Cambo for the SDD and instructions, Jahummer for the parts list and some of the parts as well, and to Cee Jay for helping me along the past week... No way this gets done without you guys, I owe you all.
Thanks,
Aaron

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
Cee Jay (05-15-2018), Yus (09-09-2021)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Received 254 Likes on 108 Posts

Today I spent half an hour and an irrational amount of money on two small pieces of Jaguar-branded plastic to make an aesthetic change that probably no one I know will notice. It wasn't necessarily that much money, but it's pretty ridiculous for what it is and is one of those things that you do when the wife is asleep so that you don't have to try to explain why it was something that just needed to be done. The good news is I think I'm finally done fiddling with the car's aesthetics and have it pretty much where I want it

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X150 today?-img_0569%5B1%5D.jpg   What did you do to your X150 today?-img_e0563-2-.jpg   What did you do to your X150 today?-img_e0566-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Simon Tan; 05-15-2018 at 11:52 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Simon Tan:
Ngarara (05-16-2018), pwpacp (05-16-2018), ralphwg (05-15-2018), sharx8 (05-26-2018), TexasTraveler (05-16-2018), Vistacom1 (11-14-2021), XJ8Germany (04-21-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Simon - How did you do that? I've been toying with making that change too.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,405 Likes on 3,195 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Thanks,
Aaron
Exactly what brand of camera do you have installed? The screen looks a lot like mine...
Noauka by any chance?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A cheap one, but I was happy to find one quick that was an upside down mount and bought it quick. I can always buy a better one and swap it now that the hard part is done.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 05-15-2018 at 11:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Simon - How did you do that? I've been toying with making that change too.
https://www.wholesalejaguarlandrover...ector-c2p22646

https://www.wholesalejaguarlandrover...ector-c2p22648

ralphwg (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Are those clear? I thought you couldn't buy clear side markers here.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 AM

I thought the same thing after reading some of the previous threads, but there were actually quite a few places in the US stocking them when I looked up the part numbers. Those links are to the best place I found including shipping. Got 'em in 2 business days.

ralphwg (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,002 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Well, I guess you can buy them, but that doesn’t make them legal, unless Standard No. 108 was revised to allow them. The regulation originally said ‘amber’ color for those in the front side of the car.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
Today I spent half an hour and an irrational amount of money on two small pieces of Jaguar-branded plastic to make an aesthetic change that probably no one I know will notice. It wasn't necessarily that much money, but it's pretty ridiculous for what it is and is one of those things that you do when the wife is asleep so that you don't have to try to explain why it was something that just needed to be done. The good news is I think I'm finally done fiddling with the car's aesthetics and have it pretty much where I want it
Looks great! One of the best upgrades I did to my XKR. As stated, they were much easier to get than I thought. 2-3 days.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk

Well, I guess you can buy them, but that doesn’t make them legal, unless Standard No. 108 was revised to allow them. The regulation originally said ‘amber’ color for those in the front side of the car.
I guess you can call me a rebel, but I've also been living on the wrong side of the law for years now with no front license plate on any of my cars

I wonder what % of cops are even aware of Standard No. 108.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 05-16-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Exactly what brand of camera do you have installed? The screen looks a lot like mine...
Noauka by any chance?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A cheap one, but I was happy to find one quick that was an upside down mount and bought it quick. I can always buy a better one and swap it now that the hard part is done.
Yes mine is a cheap one from amazon as well... I picked up this one
Amazon Amazon
and installed it into an OEM plinth/finisher I bought second hand from Jahummer. It's probably not as good as OEM, but I wasn't even going to entertain an OEM camera before knowing I could get it working. I think I have about $500 into the reverse camera already... But I am extremely happy to finally get it working.

Cee Jay (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM

Aaron
Noauka by any chance?

Yes mine is a cheap one from amazon as well... I picked up this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and installed it into an OEM plinth/finisher I bought second hand from Jahummer. It's probably not as good as OEM, but I wasn't even going to entertain an OEM camera before knowing I could get it working. I think I have about $500 into the reverse camera already... But I am extremely happy to finally get it working.
Nice job, Cee Jay and TT! I highly doubt the OEM camera Jaguar spec'd 6 years ago is any better than what you guys got. Here's a pic of the image from the OEM camera in perfect bright light conditions. In the dark, it's even grainier.

The following 2 users liked this post by Simon Tan:
Cee Jay (05-16-2018), kj07xk (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Took some pics today. All that polishing and we’ve had 4 days of rain/ clouds in S Fla. I’ll take some pics when the Sun comes out.

I did paint the calipers last week with G2 caliper paint. I used a Porsche GT metallic color (metallic as a brush on didn’t turn out a well as I would have liked.. I’ll try another color this summer). Just thought I’d share.

When I got the car, it had OEM silver grills. I didn’t mind it, but with the polished Oronas, it was a little too much. I didn’t like the Oronas on the XK.. but I’m starting to like them more. The polished seems to be more rare than the painted versions. I think it works well with Ultimate Black Mettalic. I’m also eyeing those upgraded hood vents.. cool mod.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by S-Typer
When I got the car, it had OEM silver grills. I didn’t mind it, but with the polished Oronas, it was a little too much. I didn’t like the Oronas on the XK.. but I’m starting to like them more. The polished seems to be more rare than the painted versions. I think it works well with Ultimate Black Mettalic. I’m also eyeing those upgraded hood vents.. cool mod.

[/left]
The optional hood vents are definitely a nice upgrade - probably even more so on a dark car like yours. The black mesh and chrome would match your black grill with chrome surrounds perfectly.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Clear acrylic tends to haze over time; UV damage softens it and then it picks up scratches & pitting. Toothpaste, particularly baking powder types, is the answer - does a great job of polishing acrylics.
I usually go the body-work way. Wet sand with first 400 to get the majority of crap off, then 1000, 1500 and finally 3000. After that, polishing compound.
Of course, then a clear coat of some kind will be needed, one with UV protection.
Aon, yours does look like a failed clear coat.
My previous 2007 XK had this in the worst way. It looked like it was sandblasted. I bought the car knowing it had that damage. Luckily.. it can be fixed by wet sanding and polishing. I had a mobile service do it for $120 (he spent hours working on them). It made them look brand new. The crazing look isn’t the most common repair (the guy was nervous as he didn’t know if he could fix it). Wet sanding through the various grits did wonders. Here’s a before and after pic.
Thank you all! The replies, and the photos, went to a big way of alleviating fears of headlight replacement. S-Typer, yours did indeed look worse off than mine, area-wise, not sure of the depth of the crazing though. Were they clear coated after polishing?

Today I took the car to a recommended body shop for them to take a look at it. They tried polishing it a bit as a test, but said it requires sanding. Clear coating will also be done. To make things easier, I'll remove the headlight units and take only them to the shop.

Your car looks great; I like the lack of colour. The polished wheels go well with the chrome details on the car, and I do like the silver calipers. I might have to copy that...

Old 05-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,376 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Yes mine is a cheap one from amazon as well... I picked up this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and installed it into an OEM plinth/finisher I bought second hand from Jahummer. It's probably not as good as OEM, but I wasn't even going to entertain an OEM camera before knowing I could get it working. I think I have about $500 into the reverse camera already... But I am extremely happy to finally get it working.
The OEM camera is not that great and not worth the price. I also don’t have guidelines like yours because the OEM requires LIN.

As an added bonus you also got updated LED plate lamps and hatch release too!

The following 2 users liked this post by jahummer:
Cee Jay (05-16-2018), TexasTraveler (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
As an added bonus you also got updated LED plate lamps and hatch release too!
Touche... That was a nice addition, thank you sir... I also have a plinth/finisher that is body paint color now as well, which I really like... I would do it again....

Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Thank you all! The replies, and the photos, went to a big way of alleviating fears of headlight replacement. S-Typer, yours did indeed look worse off than mine, area-wise, not sure of the depth of the crazing though. Were they clear coated after polishing?

Today I took the car to a recommended body shop for them to take a look at it. They tried polishing it a bit as a test, but said it requires sanding. Clear coating will also be done. To make things easier, I'll remove the headlight units and take only them to the shop.

Your car looks great; I like the lack of colour. The polished wheels go well with the chrome details on the car, and I do like the silver calipers. I might have to copy that...
Thanks!
The body shops I went to thought my lights were beyond repair. After the wet sanding and polishing.. the mobile guy did a self leveling clearcoat (thin clear.. made in Germany he said).

It was supposed to last a year or two before another application. It held up great as long as I had the car.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks!
The body shops I went to thought my lights were beyond repair. After the wet sanding and polishing.. the mobile guy did a self leveling clearcoat (thin clear.. made in Germany he said).

It was supposed to last a year or two before another application. It held up great as long as I had the car.

Good to hear, this pretty much mirrors my experience so far as the guy who looked at the lights seemed to think they may be beyond saving. He said they use the same clearcoat on headlights as they do on paint, so it ought to last. Some places here advertise that the clearcoat they put on headlights is as good or better than the factory one.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?