F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity Exhaust Installation Issue - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Velocity Exhaust Installation Issue - Advice?

Ran into a snag getting my Velocity V8 exhaust installed...

The pipes are angled up causing the tips to rub on the valance... has anyone else run into this issue and is there a remedy for this? Maybe using rubber hangers to drop the exhaust down a little?

Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I just rehung mine using stock hangars. Are you getting interference with the muffler and the differential/diff support brace?

Which system - valvetronic?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM

V8 valvetronic. Fits perfect everywhere else and was an easy install. The outlet pipes are just angled a hair too high causing the tips to rub.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:56 PM

Perhaps install washers or shims where the hangars mount to the frame to lower the tips a touch?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Ran into a snag getting my Velocity V8 exhaust installed...

The pipes are angled up causing the tips to rub on the valance... has anyone else run into this issue and is there a remedy for this? Maybe using rubber hangers to drop the exhaust down a little?

Pretty close tolerance on the inner pipes (~3/16"), but still plenty of clearance.

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Perhaps install washers or shims where the hangars mount to the frame to lower the tips a touch?
+1. 1/8" washer will move those pipes down ~1/4". How much interference do you have?

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks guys... washers and longer bolts to the frame did the trick!

I will post a pic of the final assembly later.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Pretty close tolerance on the inner pipes (~3/16"), but still plenty of clearance.

+1. 1/8" washer will move those pipes down ~1/4". How much interference do you have?
As you say Unhingd, we seem to get a lot of questions relating to issues about things that could be answered very quickly and simply if a member would just post a picture or video, a picture speaks a thousand words as the saying goes.

Attached Thumbnails Velocity Exhaust Installation Issue - Advice?-hands.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
As you say Unhingd, we seem to get a lot of questions relating to issues about things that could be answered very quickly and simply if a member would just post a picture or video, a picture speaks a thousand words as the saying goes.
So true! But the car was in the shop which was closed for the night after the installer had called me and asked me to check with forum members to see if anyone else had run into the same issue and what the best solution would be.

The points were understood and well taken and everything worked out. The tips are now centered perfectly and the exhaust sounds great!

It doesn’t seem to be quite as loud and raspy... the tone is a lot deeper, but has more burble.

Velocity has come through yet again with another improvement over stock that’s not overdone.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Agree, changing out the great sounding factory exhaust was risky, but VAP's system really did everything I had hoped for, better/deeper sound, more sound in cabin, yet quiet when valves are closed - at least under non-aggressive driving.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Default A word of caution...

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Unhingd, one of the members on the original group buy had an issue where the tips were too close to the diffuser and it melted the diffuser a bit on a track day. Note that the VAP system tips are double wall but not as well ventilated as the OEM design so they can be a bit hotter. Anyways, I was able to get my setup so I can insert a pinky between the tips and the diffuser all the way around. You may want to take a look and see if you can get a bit more clearance- 3/16" may not be enough...

Last edited by Chawumba; 05-17-2018 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Unhingd, one of the members on the original group buy had an issue where the tips were too close to the diffuser and it melted the diffuser a bit on a track day. Note that the VAP system tips are double wall but not as well ventilated as the OEM design so they can be a bit hotter. Anyways, I was able to get my setup so I can insert a pinky between the tips and the diffuser all the way around. You may want to take a look and see if you can get a bit more clearance- 3/16" may not be enough...
I would have to find a way to spread the two sets of pipes apart to change the minimal side clearance. Shouldn't be a problem in any event since only the outer pipes would be used on a track day, and those have plenty of clearance.