XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Installed new head-unit..door locks gone nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Installed new head-unit..door locks gone nuts!

So, I installed a new Kenwood dvd player (23BT) and MB Quart component speakers in my 2004 XJ8 which had the standard audio system. Installation went fairly well but now the door locks are acting funny. When I push the lock button once on the remote the front doors lock but the rears don't and the alarm doesn't set. When I push it again the rear doors lock and the alarm does set. When I start the car and put it in reverse/drive usually all the doors lock and un-lock 5-6 times in rapid succession. When I put the car in drive I think I hear the doors un-lock again.

Also, while in the middle of the install I noticed the gas cap lid opened by itself a couple of times. The truck lid was open during the install. I didn't disconnect the battery as I thought I needed to move the shifter out of park for clearance (didn't need to though).

Eventually I can get the doors to lock and un-lock and the alarm set but things are obviously not right. What could have caused this and how can I fix it? The wiring diagram only shows the Premium and Audiophile systems, not the standard one, but I'm sure the color codes are the same.

It does show a wire for the "Radio Removed Sensor" but I don't recall seeing anything like that during the install. Maybe the standard system doesn't have that feature.

I've touched the battery cables together and disconnecting them for a couple of hours with no change. I also re-checked the main grounds by the headlights.

So, what did I do and where do I go from here?

Thanks! Gene

Last edited by genec; 05-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Good afternoon.

When the interior door panels came off, the cables which connect to the door latches may not have been returned to the cables' proper position (or come loose during the re-fit).

The cable connects to the door handle with a ball on the end of the cable and there is a plastic 'collar' which rests in a guide to hold the cable sheath in place.

Once on my SV8, I had the 'multiple door locking' and sometimes not locking behavior. Sometimes doors would lock and other time not.

Removed the door panel and fit the cable back in its guide and all was well...

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Mag

The following users liked this post:
genec (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts
genec (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try tomorrow after work. BTW, taking the door panels off and on is much easier on the 350 then on the 308.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by magmedia
Good afternoon.

When the interior door panels came off, the cables which connect to the door latches may not have been returned to the cables' proper position (or come loose during the re-fit).

The cable connects to the door handle with a ball on the end of the cable and there is a plastic 'collar' which rests in a guide to hold the cable sheath in place.

Once on my SV8, I had the 'multiple door locking' and sometimes not locking behavior. Sometimes doors would lock and other time not.

Removed the door panel and fit the cable back in its guide and all was well...

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Mag
Well, couldn't wait for tomorrow. Pulled the drivers-side door panel off. The cable looked properly installed but took it off, fussed with it a while, then put it all back together and...voila! It works! Everything seems to be back to normal. Another easy fix!

Thanks magmedia. Happy Memorial Day!

Old 05-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

pics.... I want to see the HU in the Jag

Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by pkoko
pics.... I want to see the HU in the Jag
Will do but it might take a day or two. Sorry.

pkoko (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM

O.K. Here they are.

pkoko (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks excellent. You did an amazing job. Looks factory spec too... Are the MB components amped?? or off HU?

I am an audiophile... If you havent noticed. I added an Alpine amp and 12 type R to my jag. Lucky for me my car had nav so I kept the HU. Speakers are all stock and they sound good IMHO. They arent cheap junk OEM car speakers IMHO

genec (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 PM

Right now they are powered off the head unit. I do have a cheap Crunch 1800 watt ( ) 4 channel amp, two Kicker 6" subs for the rear deck and a Crunch 2 ch amp to power them. I going to have someone else install the amps.

I still have to install the speakers in the rear doors. I'm not crazy about the MB's yet. I still have the Pioneer 1702 6 3/4 mid-bass and Clarion tweeters that were in my 2001 XJ8 which were powered by a Kenwood 100 watt 4 channel amp and an Alpine HU. That setup sounded sweet. I haven't hit "sweet" with this new setup yet. Might try the Clarion/Pioneers in the rear doors as comparison. The Kenwoods LCD display is very hard to see in the daytime. Thinking I should have gone with a double-din cd player. It's really all I ned anyway. It's a work in progress.

The S-type dash kit and wiring harness went in smoothly but there is a 3/16" gap on each side as the S-Type has a narrower center consol. Doesn't bother me but might bother someone else. Also, the dash kit sits about 1/4" deeper then the climate control faceplate. That bothers me a bit more but I'll get over it.

I also had to paint the dash kit gloss black as it was flat black.

Wheels and tires next weekend.

https://www.gwgwheels.com/index.php/...ow/flow-chrome