XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Airbag Code B2295 and Flash Code 22

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 AM
Received 219 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Airbag Code B2295 and Flash Code 22

I have a 22 airbag flash code that I need to investigate.
The manual and jag technical memo that I am looking at are directing me towards specific electrical connectors in the wiring harness as possible causes
I have the electrical guide but is there anything which gives the location of the different harness electrical connectors and how to identify them?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Received 13,016 Likes on 6,502 Posts

Originally Posted by paddyx350
I have a 22 airbag flash code that I need to investigate.
The manual and jag technical memo that I am looking at are directing me towards specific electrical connectors in the wiring harness as possible causes
I have the electrical guide but is there anything which gives the location of the different harness electrical connectors and how to identify them?
Hi Chris,

In the Electrical Guide, on the page prior to each wiring schematic is a list of all the components, grounds, and electrical connectors including their locations and descriptions, such as "6-way Gray," meaning the connector is gray in color and has 6 pins (though it could have a larger or smaller number of wires attached). The locations can be a bit vague, but they'll get you in the right general vicinity.

Also, note that when working on the airbag system you must disconnect the battery and wait a predetermined amount of time for the airbag backup power supply capacitors to discharge. The TSB hopefully mentions this.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-23-2018 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paddyx350 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Thanks Don
I missed that.
I read the section about disconnecting the battery and waiting for one minute in the tech mem, I think I'll will give it a bit longer than that!

I have fault code B2295 and flash code 22. There's something up with the drivers (right hand drive for me) side airbag.
The flash code is intermittent, sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't.
I need to check connector CR087 which I think is one of two mutilpin connectors at the restraints module which from what I can gather is located behind the sat nav screen.
I also have to check connectors SD016 & SD017. These are part of the drivers seat harness. I presume that I'll find them at the bottom of the seat under the carpet somewhere.
From the wiring diagram SD016 is the first connector and SD017 is nearer the airbag so I'm presuming that SD016 is under the seat and SD107 is somewhere in the seat local to the airbag unit.
Had a similar problem with a landrover in the past which turned out to be the wining into the connector under the seat. Me and the wife were constantly sliding the seat back and forth when each of us jumped in to drive it.
If anybody has had any experience with this stuff please chime in.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 PM

The only tip I can offer is that for the connectors under the seat, it's actually easiest to disconnect the seat from the floor - there are only 6 Torx-head screws if I recall correctly. You have to move the seat forward and back to access the rear and front screws, respectively. Then you can tilt the seat up and access all the connectors more easily. Also check for a ground stud under the seat, and if you find one, remove the nut and wire eyelet terminals and clean them and the threaded stud with a small brass-bristle brush and some zero-residue electronic cleaner, allow to dry and reassemble. Note that the torque spec for the ground nut is just 6.5 ft. lbs., or just over hand tight. Several members have discovered how easy it is to pull the stud off the body by overtightening the nut.

Also, if you can find a Jaguar Forums member in your area who has WDS, IDS or SDD running on a laptop with an appropriate interface cable, there are some diagnostics that can be run to help narrow down the issue. It might be worth posting an inquiry in the forum for your Region:

Jaguar Forums UK & Eire Region

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-05-2018 at 11:42 PM.
paddyx350 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Don
Thanks for that help
Had a look at it this evening.
Why do Jaguar have to use a million different kinds of fixings on one car??
A male torx? Never seen one of those before.
I'll have to go out and buy a socket before I go any further!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:17 PM

Why do Jaguar have to use a million different kinds of fixings on one car??
A male torx? Never seen one of those before.
I'll have to go out and buy a socket before I go any further!
Hi Chris,

Those male Torx require "E" sockets, for External. They're not unique to Jaguar (BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes are full of them), and they're not new. I'm helping a friend with a frame-off restoration of a 1983 Jeep CJ-7, and it has a few bolts and screws with male Torx heads.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-28-2018, 02:04 PM

So I removed the drivers seat fixings, disconnected the battery and cleaned the 4 way connector under the seat for the airbag system
Also cleaned the earth point under the seat.
Put it all back but no luck, still getting airbag flash code 22 and fault code B2295.
Hooked up the code reader and looked at the live data from the restraints module and resistance to all the airbags is 2.5 to 3.0 ohms.
There was an item of live data called airbag bracket ground resistance which was showing 30 to 40 ohms, which is high isn't it?
From the wiring diagram it looks like the ground for the airbags is via the restraints module to ground location G7 which looks like its in the same place as the module from the ground point location plan.

Ok so questions;
1. can anybody tell me if 30-40 ohms is too high for a ground resistance?
2. Anybody know if the code readers description of 'airbag bracket ground resistance' is the ground from the restraints module behind the dash?
3. Why would a high resistance on the ground connection give me flash code 22 and fault code b2295 (drivers side impact airbag fault)?

Old 05-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 753 Likes on 632 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by meirion1:
Don B (05-29-2018), paddyx350 (05-28-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 AM

Thanks for that
Those investigations are beyond my and my code readers abilities unfortunately.
However, I cleared the code again, this time while the engine was running.
After three trips no flash or fault code has reappeared, so maybe it is fixed.
I'll let you know how it goes in the next week or so.

What I read in the link you gave was that the resistance of the airbags should normally be between 1 and 5 ohms and a fault is triggered if the resistance is found to be out of these limits.
Mine are all reading 2.5 to 3 on the scan tool so they look alright.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:16 AM

Well I spoke too soon in the last post.
The day after the airbag light came back on, the same flash code 22, on every trip.
So I decided to go for the other connector that was identified as a potential problem in the workshop manual for the fault code B2295 and flash code 22.
The multi pin connector CR087 is one of two connectors at the Restraints Control Module located on top of the transmission tunnel behind the ashtray.
To get at this I had to remove the center console.
The module is located directly behind the ashtray and you get to it by removing these triangular brackets on either side supporting the center console;

I took out the ashtray as well as it was damaged and I have had a spare sitting around to fit but you don't need to remove it.
The two bunches of cables you can see are going to the two multi pin connectors which are on the left hand side of the RCM in my right hand drive car.
The earth stud which is used for the ground for the RCM is under the carpet just to the left of this photo.

I just removed the bracket on the left hand side to get access to the connectors as I didn't remove the module. These are the two connectors which can be removed with the module in place; Left one is CR087, right is CR086 which includes the earth wire running to the earth stud.

So I took out both connectors, sprayed with electrical contact cleaner, let them dry completely, disconnected and cleaned the earth stud and reassembled.
As advised earlier in the thread the battery must be disconnected and the car left for 5 minutes before going anywhere near any part of the restraints system.

And success!
Did this 4 days ago and so far no more flash code 22.
Maybe a someone could rename this thread Airbag Flash Code 22 to make it easier for other members to find in the future.
Fingers Crossed.

Don B (06-03-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM

I'm afraid the air bag light came back on again when I got in the car to drive home today, same code B2295 and flash 22.
Stayed away for 6 days or so. It was very hot today (for Ireland anyway!!) and the car was sitting in the sun all day after I parked this morning. Don't really see how this could affect it but its the only difference I can think of.
So I went for the last connection this evening, the one in the seat SD17 which is the connection at the drivers side airbag igniter in the seat bolster.

To get at it its battery disconnected,
(i) seat back off (slide the top of the seat back panel to the left to disengage top two clips and then up to disengage bottom two clips, I broke three out of the four clips, sigh.. ordered 4 more. I HATE breaking things when I'm trying to fix something!!)
(ii) unclip seat cover from the frame and pull back and up over the seat side bolster carefully and the connector is accessible if you're kneeling on the ground outside the drivers door looking at the seat bolster
(iii) Electrical contact cleaner and connect/disconnect a few times.

Reconnected the battery and air bag light out, cleared the code B2295 again and we'll see how it goes.

Don B (06-07-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 AM

So 6 days later and still no return of the airbag light and flash code 22.
I'm beginning to hope its solved!

Don B (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Believe it or not, but I am anxiously following this thread to see if you've resolved this issue. I'm challenged with the exact flashing code. Gonna follow your steps this weekend. Let us know if anything changes and great job!

Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM

So I put the drivers seat back panel back on today as I haven't seen any sign of the airbag light for two weeks now after cleaning the connector at the drivers bolster airbag.
Declaring this one solved.

Don B (06-23-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM

It's back again
Got in the car this evening to drive home and there it was flashing away at me
I'm a bit pissed off to say the least
Haven't had a chance to get the reader out and check the code but I'm expecting B2295 again.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

It's back again
Got in the car this evening to drive home and there it was flashing away at me
I'm a bit pissed off to say the least
Haven't had a chance to get the reader out and check the code but I'm expecting B2295 again.
Hi Paddy. I had the same problem. Fiddled with stuff it went out and then 6 months later it came back again. But I think I have solved it. So the next time you get the 2 2 fault take a look at my post. Click me to read it

Hope this helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by frankc:
Don B (04-17-2019), paddyx350 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Frankc

Thanks for taking the time to post this,
My 22 flash code was shown to be due to the drivers bolster airbag rather than the Hall effect sensor..
I think I might have finally beaten it recently when I had the drivers seat out to fix a couple of other things. I removed some of the seat foam around the base of the airbag which was pushed against the airbag connector when somebody rubbed the seat bolster getting in and out of the drivers seat.
Hopefully we're both clear of the dreaded flashing airbag codes....

Don B (04-17-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Frankc

Thanks for taking the time to post this,
My 22 flash code was shown to be due to the drivers bolster airbag rather than the Hall effect sensor..
I think I might have finally beaten it recently when I had the drivers seat out to fix a couple of other things. I removed some of the seat foam around the base of the airbag which was pushed against the airbag connector when somebody rubbed the seat bolster getting in and out of the drivers seat.
Hopefully we're both clear of the dreaded flashing airbag codes....
Thanks Paddy. Sounds like we both tackled the same problem from opposite directions. Initially I removed the seat from the car. Removed/pulled up the seat cover. Fixed the headrest and cleaned and checked all the yellow connectors. Now just done the under the seat one.

Good luck with it. I feel sure you will beat the dreaded flash soon.