F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ftype 2014 6S low coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017 | 11:32 AM
|
Default Ftype 2014 6S low coolant

Just had my check coolant light go on and needed to add almost half a gallon of the orange antifreeze. My car is do for annual service(so I have not checked level for a year), but was surprised with how low it was.

Anyone have feedback on if this is normal?

Anyone have a repair person in Atlanta they are happy with?

Old 07-10-2017 | 01:17 PM

Check to make sure the water pump is not leaking. I had this problem with my car. No sign of a leak except an occasional antifreeze smell and then the low coolant light came on. Mine was a very slow leak over time. New water pump solved the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Lovemyftype (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017 | 02:23 PM

Not normal. It is a closed system so there should be next to no loss.

Old 07-10-2017 | 04:37 PM
|

Would you also guess water pump?

Old 07-10-2017 | 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Someone else mentioned they had developed a crack between the radiator top tank and the radiator core, requiring a radiator replacement.

The following users liked this post:
Lovemyftype (07-10-2017)
Old 07-11-2017 | 07:32 AM

No guessing. Coolant leaks, unless they are internal, are fairly easy to find. A pressure tester used properly will likely turn it up. I also think that I remember that coolant shows up with UV light. If my aged memory is correct, using a UV light with a pressure tester should show a leak pretty quickly.

Old 07-11-2017 | 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by jmfan
Check to make sure the water pump is not leaking. I had this problem with my car. No sign of a leak except an occasional antifreeze smell and then the low coolant light came on. Mine was a very slow leak over time. New water pump solved the problem.
Yep, same thing happened with my 2014. My water pump had a very slow leak just like you described. Dealer first pressure tested it and said everything was fine. I came back the next week and told them I still smell coolant ever time I shut the car off. They ended up replacing the water pump which fixed my leak! Check the water pump for a small leak.

Old 01-02-2018 | 10:44 PM

I had the same issue with my 2013 V6S. It was first diagnosed with a failed water pump. So they replaced that.

Then they started finding coolant leaks. I am now six months down the track and I have had the car in my possession for one of those months. It's currently back at the dealership again.

So far it's been back four times for coolant leaks - the most recent one from a hose connecting to the thermostat housing.

They keep pressure testing and sending it back to me saying it's all repaired - then the coolant warning comes on again and it's back on a truck.

I am now seeking legal advice as Jaguar Australia have been absolutely useless. They ignored my first two requests for action and only when I contacted the Director of Sales through LinkedIn did they take any notice at all.

Thank God for a new service consultant at the dealership who is helpful.

I am still trying to get a resolution to a diff that isn't working properly since new. Jaguar assures me it is fine. It's clearly not.

I will never ever buy a Jag again.

Old 01-07-2018 | 12:43 PM

I had the same issue. We virtually have the same car. Wound up being the water pump. Here’s the thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...oolant-191343/

Old Today | 01:54 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue with low coolant. I recently started getting the low coolant message. My F-Type is a 2017 V6 S. The odd thing is that there has been no smell and not a drop on the ground. The level in the reservoir is definitely low. I jacked up the car and discovered that the rock shield under the engine was wet. So, I removed it. This is what was revealed.

Would it make sense that a leaking water pump would result in such a mess? Or, is this mess possibly the result of another issue?

Old Today | 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

If the problem is not the water pump, and if you have not (yet) replaced the original plastic coolant pipes (3 of them, two at the front of the engine, one at the rear) you should do this now. The original pipes tended to leak at the seams. The revised design eliminates the seams on the front pipes, but there are now aluminum pipes for all three items. The pipe failure is a “when” not an “if”, so proactive replacement is advisable. You do not want the engine to overheat!

Old Today | 03:17 PM

I was not aware of the redesign of the coolant pipes. Is there a picture or a diagram that shows their locations?

Old Today | 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

From the looks of things, I'd guess the water pump, but it could also be the cooling pipes. Regardless, get a set of the aluminum pipes (many sources, including Amazon), and replace them while you're in there. The parts are cheap, but the labor to get to them (or the water pump) is a pain - you have to remove the supercharger. Don't set yourself up to go through it twice. In the meantime, while you're taking delivery on the new pipes, keep an eye on the fluid level and - especially - your engine temp. If the temperature starts rising above normal, shut down promptly. If it really is a slow leak, you won't have a problem, but you don't want to be careless and fry your engine.

I have a set of the aluminum pipes on the shelf for eventual use. The MY14 is still going strong with the originals. The MY17 pipes started to leak under warranty, but before the aluminum ones became available, so it now has the newer plastic design. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the new version (which is all your dealer will have), but I like the metal ones.