XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default sunroof leak

After a hard rainfall I found water in my cabin, wet headliner all over (mostly on the passenger (right) side down the A-pillar to the floor.

Opened the sunroof and there was moisture all around.

I dropped the headliner in the front a little at the overhead console and tightened the 2 easily accessible bolts (loose but did not see a noticeable drop.)

I will spend next weekend dropping the headliner to access the other bolts but was wondering :

1. Where are the drain holes in the sunroof so I can see if they are clogged. (saw a couple of small holes in the rear of the sunroof track,) Is there a hose there that will need to be checked as well?
2. Where do they drain ( I searched and saw in front of the front wheels?
3. Any instructions for dropping the headliner all around (remove screws in sun-visors and oh-**** holders, a and b pillar covers and pull from clips?) any other hints
4. I will start another thread about my parking aid fault but can the moisture up there near the buttons affect the parking aid? It's near the button to switch it on and off

Old 04-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Default Fixed...

Well that was the ticket, tighten the two front bolts, never got around to the others seems tight after a heavy rainstorm.

I figured out where the drains are seems they are fine.

Old 08-25-2024, 11:11 AM
Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey Jssaab - wondering if you ever did any more poking around after tightening the screws or any disassembly you can shed light on.

I have no water in the cabin or dampness - but on my 2015 I am noticing a slight odor after rain/wash, if I open the sunroof and "smell" around that area, its the same smell. It actually smells like the track grease is getting wet, but I cannot visualize any actual water build up or moisture retention. I pulled off the front wheels and liners, and used 10-15psi of compressed air from the front drain holes and ran a wire through the tubes but no blockage observed, air came out fine and no dirt or anything came out with the wire.

Next thing to check I guess is the rear drains. I can see them on each side of the trunk, coming from the rear deck, but I cannot observe the rear drain ports on the sunroof assembly, at least not without dropping the headliner? I guess that's my next thing to check. Im slightly terrified of damaging the clips and headliner but I suppose I need to rule out a leak at the sunroof or break in the drain tubes. Doesn't look like I can blast air through the rear tubes without pulling the headliner or rear bumper where they dump. The Passenger side at least is tucked behind the rear fuse panel and modules. Driver side is accessible though right by the amp.

Anyway - trying to get my car sold off but want to address this first. Floor pan, under seat, carpets, trunk area etc - all dry. Just getting odor so maybe it's a small back up in the assembly area. Also took apart the entire cowl cover and cabin air inlet and no signs of leakage there. everything is clean and dry. Car is garage kept so no excessive foliage collection or anything like that anywhere.

Old 08-25-2024, 02:46 PM

Probably water in the hadliner. Most likely those damn bolts letting it get in.Moisture is not enough to notice in the cabin but bet if you pull the headliner down you can feel it there smell it around that edge