XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Headlight assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 09:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Headlight assembly question

I have to replace my drivers side (left) headlight assembly after a minor incident. The one I received is used and seems to be okay but when installing the main headlight lamp, the bracket holding the lamp moves horizontally on an axis as well vertically. I realize there is automatic leveling for the headlight but does that involve side to side movement as well as up and down movement. Just wondering if my main headlight bracket is broken.

Bill Jacobs
2004 XK8

Old 02-01-2024, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 765 Posts

It should only move vertically. The headlight systems for these cars do not have cornering illumination function (side-side movement). Yes, I would say something is broken or at the very least, loose.

The following users liked this post:
Bill Jacobs (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 09:08 AM

Thanks! That was my thought but just wanted to make sure.

Old 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 502 Posts

UK lights are different so we carnt help you this side of the pond

Old 02-01-2024, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
UK lights are different so we carnt help you this side of the pond
how are they different? The one I have, I guess could have via EBay from your side of the pond.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well if I got it right the UK ones are fixed no self level but it seems some american ones have a swivel unit

Old 02-01-2024, 05:16 PM

Got inside the headlight assembly to correct the horizontal (side-side movement) and found nothing broken to re-attach. Instead it seems to be designed to move back and forth. See video attached. but I do not see a mechanism / motor to move the fixture or a spring to hold it in place. It just moves! Discovered also that it does not move vertically as I original thought. Would this side to side movement be the leveling movement of the headlight? Any thoughts or suggestons?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1083.mov (16.33 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by Bill Jacobs; 02-01-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill Jacobs
Got inside the headlight assembly to correct the horizontal (side-side movement) and found nothing broken to re-attach. Instead it seems to be designed to move back and forth. See video attached. but I do not see a mechanism / motor to move the fixture or a spring to hold it in place. It just moves! Discovered also that it does not move vertically as I original thought. Would this side to side movement be the leveling movement of the headlight? Any thoughts or suggestons?

First thing's first, the headlight in the video is for an XK8 or XKR fitted with the Xenon (HID) system. If your car has halogens, this will not connect with your harness.
Second: The self leveling, (Up/down) is controlled by a stepper motor. You should not be able to move it by hand.
Third: what's actually loose is the manual adjustment mechanism. You should also not be able to move it freely by hand like you are doing. It should be fixed into place and adjusted from the outside of the headlight.

Follow my instructions:
  • See the white bracket looking thing on top in between the halogen reflector and HID projector? That's what is loose on yours and what should be holding it in place. I put a red square on this image to help you see what I am talking about.
  • On the second image I posted, look at what I pointed out with the yellow oval. Remove the cap on that (it's the white plastic/rubbery thing) it should have a male hex. That's how you adjust the side to side alignment of the headlight.
  • Push the loose assembly you may want to hold either from the halogen reflector or the HID projector to push the assembly inwards. It will take some persuasion. Keep pushing until it catches. You should hear a click. You may have to turn the male hex bolt from the adjustment to allow enough material for the assembly to latch. If it's open all the way, there will be nothing for it to latch on to.

The second image, the yellow oval is where you adjust the side-side. You have to remove that cap.

The following 2 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
Bill Jacobs (02-01-2024), Y2KJag (02-09-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Well if I got it right the UK ones are fixed no self level but it seems some american ones have a swivel unit
You've got it wrong.

All cars fitted with the HID (Xenon) system have self-leveling only in the Y axis. All cars fitted with the Halogens do not have self-leveling. NO X100 ever had X axis self-leveling. That was introduced with the aluminum bodied X150.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

how are they different? The one I have, I guess could have via EBay from your side of the pond.
The difference is in the cut-off shield in the Xenon projector. Its orientation is reversed, which means the beam pattern of the headlights is inverted. I don't know if the halogen high beams (main beams in the UK? Or is that dip beam?) is also oriented differently.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:32 PM

Yes the white bracket is broken! Actually looks like someone tried fix with glue. Any idea what the part number of the bracket might be? Secondly, how does one remove the white cover (yellow oval)? Does it twist off or pull off?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-02-2024, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member

I had been reading what must have been a mispost which was talking about swivel headlights .
Sorry
both my dip and main have HID and it passed its MOT and I can see where I am going !!

True the dip pattern is different in the US squared off rather than the beam kink we hav in UK

Old 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
First thing's first, the headlight in the video is for an XK8 or XKR fitted with the Xenon (HID) system. If your car has halogens, this will not connect with your harness.
Second: The self leveling, (Up/down) is controlled by a stepper motor. You should not be able to move it by hand.
Third: what's actually loose is the manual adjustment mechanism. You should also not be able to move it freely by hand like you are doing. It should be fixed into place and adjusted from the outside of the headlight.

Follow my instructions:
  • See the white bracket looking thing on top in between the halogen reflector and HID projector? That's what is loose on yours and what should be holding it in place. I put a red square on this image to help you see what I am talking about.
  • On the second image I posted, look at what I pointed out with the yellow oval. Remove the cap on that (it's the white plastic/rubbery thing) it should have a male hex. That's how you adjust the side to side alignment of the headlight.
  • Push the loose assembly you may want to hold either from the halogen reflector or the HID projector to push the assembly inwards. It will take some persuasion. Keep pushing until it catches. You should hear a click. You may have to turn the male hex bolt from the adjustment to allow enough material for the assembly to latch. If it's open all the way, there will be nothing for it to latch on to.

The second image, the yellow oval is where you adjust the side-side. You have to remove that cap.
is there a secret to removing the white cap shown in the yellow oval?

Old 02-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 352 Posts

I had been reading what must have been a mispost which was talking about swivel headlights .
Sorry
both my dip and main have HID and it passed its MOT and I can see where I am going !!

True the dip pattern is different in the US squared off rather than the beam kink we hav in UK
factory oem?
I replaced my halogin with xenon hi + low.
Better but not great!
wj

Old 02-02-2024, 06:32 PM

I got the cap off. It appears that someone tried to glue the white bracket to the plunger ( or what ever you call it), the glue has detached from the plunger thus nothing to latch. It appears that I need to remove the plunger/adjustment mechanism from headlight assembly. The question is how to remove the plunger/mechanism or can it be removed without damaging the headlight assembly? If so, does it simply pull out or is there a latch some where? The next question is the availability of a replacement bracket and plunger/adjustment mechanism.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-02-2024, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

I got the cap off. It appears that someone tried to glue the white bracket to the plunger ( or what ever you call it), the glue has detached from the plunger thus nothing to latch. It appears that I need to remove the plunger/adjustment mechanism from headlight assembly. The question is how to remove the plunger/mechanism or can it be removed without damaging the headlight assembly? If so, does it simply pull out or is there a latch some where? The next question is the availability of a replacement bracket and plunger/adjustment mechanism.

Thanks for your help!

As far as I know, the internal parts of the headlight were not ever available. i don't know how you would source that.

The following 2 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
Bill Jacobs (02-03-2024), Y2KJag (02-09-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 06:13 AM

As far as I know, the internal parts of the headlight were not ever available. i don't know how you would source that.
Yikes! Not what I wanted to hear! But thanks!

Old 02-03-2024, 01:06 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I know I have at least one of those, any chance you can upload a pic of just the adjuster to make sure ? The ones I have are from an earlier 2001 car, there are some differences in the headlamp plastic housing but I'm pretty sure the adjusters are the same.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:17 PM
Received 142 Likes on 80 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but my question is headlight disassembly/assembly related.

I see where new headlight covers come with a new gasket. Does anybody sell just the gasket? My covers are in good shape, but the headlights fog badly. I suspect a faulty gasket.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:41 PM

Follow my instructions:

Is there a procedure to remove the whole mechanism covered by the grey cover you circled in yellow? Further digging into this I see that the tip end of the mechanism that plugs into the white plastic plunger, you marked with the red box, is broken off. Someone tried to glue in place. I am thinking If I can remove the whole mechanism I may can repair the broken tip and plug it back into the white plastic plunger. Or hopefully find a replacement mechanism.

Quick Reply: Headlight assembly question