XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Vibration in reverse when engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 05:25 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Vibration in reverse when engine is cold

there is a bad vibration that goes through the whole car and I can hear it too when I put it in reverse when the engine is cold while I hold the brakes.
In forward gear I notice it too but ever so slightly.
When I have been driving for like half an hour, the issue is gone.
I do not have a transmission mount I have a transfer case mount it was inspected and looked brand new now I have no idea could be the engine mounts?

Old 03-09-2024, 03:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When I bought my 2012 SC V8 XJ i noticed a really bad shudder when I put the car in reverse. Everything shook even the steering wheel. Since then I have replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF to fix a CEL which had no effect on the vibration. I think replacing the transmission fluid and filter fixed it. I used original ZF filter and Ravenol 6HP fluid.

Old 04-28-2024, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JezuzNoChill
When I bought my 2012 SC V8 XJ i noticed a really bad shudder when I put the car in reverse. Everything shook even the steering wheel. Since then I have replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF to fix a CEL which had no effect on the vibration. I think replacing the transmission fluid and filter fixed it. I used original ZF filter and Ravenol 6HP fluid.
unfortunately did not work for me I replaced pan and fluid vibration is still there
I am shocked at how clean the pan and magnets look I thought at least some sludge build up on the magnets but it looks like new with 114,000 kms on the car
why I have this vibration is a mystery maybe of the solenoids

Old 05-05-2024, 04:53 PM

• Cause: Damaged throttle body sensors play a significant role in causing car shakes when reversing. The throttle body controls airflow to the engine, and sensors monitor and regulate the air entering the combustion chamber.
  • Solution: Inspect the throttle body and sensors for wear or damage. Replace them promptly to prevent further problems1.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
  • Cause: Damaged throttle body sensors play a significant role in causing car shakes when reversing. The throttle body controls airflow to the engine, and sensors monitor and regulate the air entering the combustion chamber.
  • Solution: Inspect the throttle body and sensors for wear or damage. Replace them promptly to prevent further problems1.
That does not look like a reputable site.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:39 PM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

I almost guarantee your transmission or motor mounts are bad. I don't understand the comment about the transfer case mount, maybe they're the same thing but the PN for your car I believe is C2D38505 and it is the same trans mount.

Can you look at your intake baffles (the ridged portions of the tubes connected to your air filter boxes)? I've noticed consistently if motor mounts are bad, one or more of the baffles are pinched together on the side impacted. They should be evenly spaced under normal conditions.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:51 PM
Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

The engine mounts are active type working with vacuum. The vacuum pipes to the mounts don´t have any clips and can easyly slip out when operating in the area. I have also seen that failed limiter band around mount can cause mount exess too far out and cause vibrations.
Again youtube is good source (its XF but same mounts)

Old 05-06-2024, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by dmchao
I almost guarantee your transmission or motor mounts are bad. I don't understand the comment about the transfer case mount, maybe they're the same thing but the PN for your car I believe is C2D38505 and it is the same trans mount.

Can you look at your intake baffles (the ridged portions of the tubes connected to your air filter boxes)? I've noticed consistently if motor mounts are bad, one or more of the baffles are pinched together on the side impacted. They should be evenly spaced under normal conditions.
Drivers side looks pinched check picture I think that happened when I changed the engine filter

Is there a way to stress test the engine mounts? I don't think the engine mounts are bad I never feel the engine move except when I turn the ignition off but that is due to the supercharger coupler needing a replacement

It's an AWD car the transfer case is welded to the back of the transmission so there is no place for a transmission mount instead there is a mount at the bottom of the transfer case watch videos

The transmission does feel like it moves a lot during gear shifting when the car is cold but when I inspected the transfer case mount it did not have any cracks or leaks

Is it possible a mount can be bad without any signs of damage??

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 05-06-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:05 PM

Ah, I see I pulled C2D38505 from a parts finder for a 2016 variant, but it still looks the same. I pulledC2D19054 for 2013-2019 3.0 with AWD : https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/.../C2D19054.html
I'm sure you know your car better than me because I've never seen the AWD up close, but either way there are mounts serving the purpose of vibration dampening for either the xfer case, trans, or both. I'm guessing you have two. Call the dealer and just ask if you're unsure

Anyway - the baffles are dynamic in use. They don't have memory so unless you moved your airbox, it's related to movement of something else. It's not a guarantee but based on you having that condition on the right side I would guess it's bad on that side. Take the splash shield off, and drive up ramps if you have them to inspect both mounts. You may or may not see staining showing the leaky mounts and you can also inspect them up close. The video Vasara posted is pretty nice.

The reason I say all this is because when my engine mount went bad, I only had vibration in reverse. No noticible issues with drivability or engine jumping, it wasn't that bad. I replaced them both at the same time and I haven't had an issue since.

Last edited by dmchao; 05-06-2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dmchao
Ah, I see I pulled C2D38505 from a parts finder for a 2016 variant, but it still looks the same. I pulledC2D19054 for 2013-2019 3.0 with AWD : https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/.../C2D19054.html
I'm sure you know your car better than me because I've never seen the AWD up close, but either way there are mounts serving the purpose of vibration dampening for either the xfer case, trans, or both. I'm guessing you have two. Call the dealer and just ask if you're unsure

Anyway - the baffles are dynamic in use. They don't have memory so unless you moved your airbox, it's related to movement of something else. It's not a guarantee but based on you having that condition on the right side I would guess it's bad on that side. Take the splash shield off, and drive up ramps if you have them to inspect both mounts. You may or may not see staining showing the leaky mounts and you can also inspect them up close. The video Vasara posted is pretty nice.

The reason I say all this is because when my engine mount went bad, I only had vibration in reverse. No noticible issues with drivability or engine jumping, it wasn't that bad. I replaced them both at the same time and I haven't had an issue since.
Did you replace the motor mounts yourself? What was the process? What did you disconnected? Did you use original motor mounts or aftermarket?

From another thread "I just looked at the manual and it mentions something about possibly having to disconnect some AC lines."

Old 05-16-2024, 12:33 PM

Does anyone know anything about replacing engine mounts?

"They let me bring my parts (they were genuine JLR that I bought on-line), but it must not be so easy because the mechanic damaged an AC line that ran near the driver side mount. They ended-up having to replace that AC line & give us a loaned F-Pace for a couple of days."

Old 07-17-2024, 10:52 AM

I Can not tell if the mounts are bad by looking at them the drivers side does have black stuff on the bottom I guess its a sign its leaking and gone bad

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 07-17-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2024, 11:39 AM

Yup. As I mentioned, you have a tell tale sign of engine mount leaking and failure. I have not seen a single XJ with the "bent" baffles that was not an engine mount gone bad. The baffles can be bent by any number of other factors too, but unless the airbox is improperly installed the only failure mode is the engine being lower than it should.

Old 07-18-2024, 12:28 PM

Is it a good idea to lift the engine from the oil pan with wood block between jack and pan?