F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hairline scratch on driver side window on new F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 05:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hairline scratch on driver side window on new F-Type

Noticed a hairline scratch on my the exterior side of my new 2024 Jaguar F-Type, see below photo. No idea how long its been there and isn't noticeable in bright sunlight, was difficult to photograph too. Initially thought it was a dust streak but can feel the scratch with a finger nail. Checked the windowsill and didn't see anything that would cause the scratch like rock or sand while it was lowered or raised.

Big question, is this covered under warranty? I called my local Jaguar dealership and they said they would want to take a look at it first. I called my detailer and he said he could buff the scratches out but I'd rather have Jaguar pay for the fix if its covered under warranty of course.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had any other car that collects sand and rocks down in the window felt like the f-type. I have soooo many scratches just like yours on my 2016 and am constantly cleaning out the felts with tape and cloth. You can't see the rocks from the outside, you just know they're there when you put the window down and screeeeeeech. Mine's long out of warranty, so I don't know whether it's covered, but my god is it a constant battle.

Last edited by Velliety; 03-18-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Velliety
I have never had any other car that collects sand and rocks down in the window felt like the f-type. I have soooo many scratches just like yours on my 2016 and am constantly cleaning out the felts with tape and cloth. You can't see the rocks from the outside, you just know they're there when you put the window down and screeeeeeech. Mine's long out of warranty, so I don't know whether it's covered, but my god is it a constant battle.
Ugh, must be a design issue. I guess I gotta refrain from lowering the window after the scratch is repaired. Never had this issue with my previous cars of various makes.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

There was a service campaign (or similar, not a recall) about scratches on the windows. The remedy was to replace the seals and polish or replace the glass as necessary.

Since I had the seals replaced I clean the debris out of the seal whenever I wash the car. My assessment is that because the windows slope inwards towards the top, debris slides down the glass and collects in the wiper much more than on a vertical window.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:22 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Well known design fault and not much you can do about it. I guess you could investigate different shaped seals but it would be a DIY patch job.
Unfortunately the seal design acts as a gutter and traps small rock against the window glass itself by channeling items to the inside instead of outwards and away from the glass like most cars

Old 03-19-2024, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 404 Posts

You can't see the rocks from the outside, you just know they're there when you put the window down and screeeeeeech.
In the future, rub some silicone into the edges of the rubber seal (window down). That way the rubber won't GRAB debris. No screeeching either.

An alternate treatment (but not as long-lasting) would be to apply talcum powder to your fingers and coat/lubricate the edges of the seals.

We do both treatments once a year.

Might work, might not. Our windows are not scratched.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:30 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

I had heard of this problem, but had assumed the new cars had remedied it. Apparently not. I guess I will need to be cognizant of this with my car once it arrives. Really dumb problem they let slip by there. Also dumb, fixing it without actually fixing it...Kinda seems like ignoring it more than anything ;-)

Old 03-19-2024, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
There was a service campaign (or similar, not a recall) about scratches on the windows. The remedy was to replace the seals and polish or replace the glass as necessary.

Since I had the seals replaced I clean the debris out of the seal whenever I wash the car. My assessment is that because the windows slope inwards towards the top, debris slides down the glass and collects in the wiper much more than on a vertical window.
Wiper? We're still talking about the side windows here? To be clear, I guess you mean the seal?

How are you cleaning it out in your case? Any way to vac it out while holding the seal open slightly or something? I don't directly know what the picture of things looks like, as I don't yet have a car in front of me.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:18 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Use a leaf blower

Old 03-19-2024, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 404 Posts

Any way to vac it out while holding the seal open slightly or something?
I don't know about a vacuum.

I use a cloth wrapped around my finger to 'spread open' the seal and wipe it, with the window down. First pass is with a damp cloth, then a second piece of cloth sprayed with silicone spray, to lubricate.

Another way to achieve this is to rub the silicone-saturated cloth on both sides of the window, then roll it up & down a few times. That can make the glass streaky tho'...and don't rub your eyes with silicone on your fingers!

As they say, YMMV. (Your Mileage May Vary)

Old 03-19-2024, 07:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a torx screw under the rubber at the edge of the window... Remove the screw and it is easy to pull the seal and trim strip out a couple of inches to get from under the mirror and then it just lifts up... It sits in a metal channel on the inside edge of the door... Very easy then to clean it off... Make sure the window is down when you do this.....

Last edited by rtmyers1; 03-19-2024 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TangledThorns (03-19-2024)
Old Today, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
Ugh, must be a design issue. I guess I gotta refrain from lowering the window after the scratch is repaired. Never had this issue with my previous cars of various makes.
How has this whole thing been going for you?

Not putting the window down doesn’t really seem like much of a practical solution. Certainly not for me, as I like to drive mostly with the windows down to hear that exhaust in all its glory.

I completely forgot about this issue until only recently when I thought I saw a faint verticle scratch in the low light of my garage. On closer inspection it was nothing. I guess I will have to pay more attention to this and bring this into my cleaning routine, as there is no way I cannot put the windows down.

Besides, the window drops a bit on it’s own when opening the door so there would always be scratch potential…Unless there is a way to make the window not drop upon opening the door (not sure).

Issues like this are head scratchers. Clearly they did nothing to fix this in reality. Disappointing for sure.