XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 Jaguar XJ L Portfolio 3.0L AWD Meridian Rear Subwoofer Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Jaguar XJ L Portfolio 3.0L AWD Meridian Rear Subwoofer Rattles

Basically, any low frequency that comes through, causes the subwoofer to rattle pretty loudly throughout the cabin. The only way to really fix it is to lower the subwoofer setting, which I don't really like to do, because I like the resonance of the bass throughout the cabin.
​​​
Would I have to go to a Jaguar dealership to get it replaced?

Thanks in advance.

​​​​​

Old 03-25-2024, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Can you replace it?

Old 03-25-2024, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Can you replace it?
I would like to, but I don't know if I can buy those replacement subwoofers and do them myself, or have to go through the dealership.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:17 PM
Received 247 Likes on 187 Posts

There are few trick depending what causes the ratlle. Many users reported that they fix the subwoofer ratles by just simple pressing the backside centre cover inwards instead its coning outwards. (accessible from trunk, look up to the parsel shelf)
Second needs more work, by removing the woofers and repairing the cones ripped off from the frame by clueing them back. Usually this works only when short distance have been ripped off the frame and centering of the cone can still be reached. If the cone is not in center the "piston" running inside of magnet core can start to drag against magnet. Obiosly not good for free movement.
3rd possible cause are that the wires from connectors to the cone touches to cone or have partially detached. Re-soldering wires to the connectors are possible, but if the wires have detached from cone, its more difficult to get speaker working well anymore.

The following users liked this post:
lotusespritse (03-25-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Well I am sure you can buy it but the dealer will be very expensive to do the work.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar problem. I ended up using 2-part epoxy to repair tears from the bottom. Been 3 years and it’s still holding

Old 07-27-2024, 08:47 AM

This solution worked to prevent the subwoofer slapping, but at certain frequencies, it sounds like a scratching now, which only seems visible on a certain song, so it's not too bad and manageable.

I used Epoxy Resin and Epoxy hardening, mixed them together, then grabbed a syringe from Walmart, and put it around the perimeter of the cone that was exposed, I peeled back the cone and applied it to the plastic, where the old glue would've sat, pressing the cone down here and there, until eventually there was epoxy all around both subwoofers.

(Such a late response, but I figured it might be helpful for anyone else that comes across this issue with their Jaguar).

Old 07-28-2024, 05:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasara
There are few trick depending what causes the ratlle. Many users reported that they fix the subwoofer ratles by just simple pressing the backside centre cover inwards instead its coning outwards. (accessible from trunk, look up to the parsel shelf)
Second needs more work, by removing the woofers and repairing the cones ripped off from the frame by clueing them back. Usually this works only when short distance have been ripped off the frame and centering of the cone can still be reached. If the cone is not in center the "piston" running inside of magnet core can start to drag against magnet. Obiosly not good for free movement.
3rd possible cause are that the wires from connectors to the cone touches to cone or have partially detached. Re-soldering wires to the connectors are possible, but if the wires have detached from cone, its more difficult to get speaker working well anymore.
This is great advice. See if the rattle will go away with pressure. Speaker is not likley blown. Getting the rear deck out to fix is a MAJOR job. Alternatively, you could put a subwoofer in the back (that's what I did) and disconnect the rear woofers.
​​

Old 07-29-2024, 07:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DChavez1020
at certain frequencies, it sounds like a scratching now,
This is the sound of your voice coil rubbing, it will eventually rub through and ruin the speaker. You should use shims to ensure you are gluing the rear spider (the wavey piece of fabric) back on straight. Gluing the spider back to the magnet usually does solve the issues of vibrating at low frequency, the adhesive deterioration is a known issue.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jaaag_drivah
This is the sound of your voice coil rubbing, it will eventually rub through and ruin the speaker.
​​​​​​So I would just reglue the voice coil, to the center black piece, and that should get rid of the scratching