Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart keyfob issues - BCM vs KVM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024 | 12:33 AM
|
Default Smart keyfob issues - BCM vs KVM replacement

Hey,

For the past few months I have been having issues with both my smart key fobs - comfort access/entry works fine, however the lock/unlock buttons are very temperamental and often do not work unless I am very close to the car and press the button 5+ times. Periodically when I get in the car I get the 'smart key not recognized' error message, however lately this has been less of an issue since software update (see below).
I have had two garages look at the issue, both proposing different solutions so was hoping I could get some advice / experiences. Summary is as follows:
  • My car is a 2015 F-Type R
  • The batteries in the fobs have been replaced multiple times and not solved the issue.
  • Garage A have said the following: Checked the keys and stated the fobs themselves are ok. They refreshed the key module software / did some reprogramming - the key worked for 1-2 days then went back to not working properly. They state the BCM needs replacing - new key fobs are not required. They state it's not the KVM because in their experience if the KVM is faulty the keys are not recognized at all.
  • Garage B have done / said the following: Smart key fob found operational and recognized, key health check passed, simulated smart key fob detection and confirmed both keys working intermittently. They recommend replacing the KVM and both keys (need new keys are required with new KVM). They stated that it's not the BCM because it controls and detects faults, so if the KVM is faulty it will register to the BCM.
These two jobs are both quite expensive, and I don't want to go through the process of replacing one just to find it's the other.

Anyone have some advice or experience on the above?

Thanks

Last edited by alexw87; 05-12-2024 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2024 | 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

No advice but be very careful of places that don't work on Jaguars regularly.
Are they using SDD or some after market type scanner system?

Old 05-12-2024 | 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

The rf needs configuring or updated

Old 10-15-2024 | 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dennis black
The rf needs configuring or updated

Hi, can you elaborate a little bit about configuring the RF? I'm experiencing an issue where my KVM doesn't "see" my keys.
I have tried updated the KVM succesfully no still can't see the keys and configure the KVM as new and everything goes well up to the point to program the keys.

Appreciate any light you can shed on this situation.

Thank you

Old Yesterday | 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

How sure are you that the key fob batteries are good? I had a similar issue on my XF. Turned out the batch of so-called top-brand batteries I bought on Amazon were low quality and didn't run a good voltage level. So the fobs worked intermittently. When I bought a more expensive single-pack keyfob battery it worked perfectly...

Other suggestion is that sometimes the battery contact inside the keyfob doesn't touch properly on the battery (dirty or a little bent) and that also can cause intermittent issues

I'd be skeptical of replacing KVM and keys for an intermittent issue as if it works some of the time then it doesn't seem to be a programming issue

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (Today)
Old Today | 03:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
How sure are you that the key fob batteries are good? I had a similar issue on my XF. Turned out the batch of so-called top-brand batteries I bought on Amazon were low quality and didn't run a good voltage level.
I had a similar issue years ago and now always measure batteries before I fit them!

Old Today | 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by scm
I had a similar issue years ago and now always measure batteries before I fit them!
Me too, but mine are always 20mm wide

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (Today)
Old Today | 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

After having issues with online battery vendor's parts, I ALWAYS buy button-cell batteries at brick & mortar stores now.

Last edited by Carbuff2; Today at 08:56 AM.
Old Today | 08:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Note that some of the cheaper CR2032 batteries on Amazon only list a couple year shelf life. I avoid those.

Old Today | 09:23 AM

I have had good luck buying name brand batteries on eBay in multipacks but only if the expiration dates are more than a couple years out. I have had good luck with Panasonic and Toshiba. I will not buy brands I never heard of.

Old Today | 09:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cluck
Me too, but mine are always 20mm wide
I thought some smart-**** would think like that, but voltage can be measured, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Carbuff2 (Today), Cluck (Today)