XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Loads of water in passenger footwell area

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 03:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loads of water in passenger footwell area

Hi all!

I've once again got loads of water in the passenger footwell area, under the carpet. I need to replace the Portable audio interface (Aux Audio Connectivity / module) and Bluetooth module again which is really annoying as I only did it in Nov 2023. But before doing so, I need to stop the water leak. It isn't from the following:

(a) Door drain holes (they're clear and not blocked)
(b) Windscreen Finisher-lower (a.k.a. scuttle panel) - it's got a good seal all along the windscreen.

The door seals look in good condition and they're snugly fitted. But one thing I noticed on both front doors. A corner section of both door seals are loose, the one the passenger side is in mishaped, and neither look like they're fitted properly. They move around if touched and I'm surprised they haven't fallen off. Underneath them are two holes....could water be getting in from here into the footwell area. Or does it drain off elsewhere?

Advise please and thanks in advance!

See the hole? If water gets in here, could this end up in the footwell or does it drain off elsewhere? It's about the same level as the footwell and very close to it.

Showing the right door corner seal in place. As you can see, it doesn't look like it's in place properly.

Left door corner seal, not in great condition.

Right door corner seal.

Right door corner seal, turned over. The raised cylinder looks like it's meant to slot in somewhere on the bodywork.

Last edited by Jaguar XF Yorkshire; 05-25-2024 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well now I need to check those seals on my car.

But a heater core leak is pretty common on other cars, and the location is pretty much the same.

Does the water intrusion happen with rain? Or is it anytime the car is driven?

Old 05-26-2024, 05:11 AM

Hi 2010XFPushBrakeHarderToStart

No idea when the water intrusion occurred i.e. it's rained very heavily in the UK for the last 18 months and it's been a pretty wet 2024....

Regards!

Last edited by Jaguar XF Yorkshire; 05-26-2024 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a sunroof? Sometimes the drains give out on those and water ends up in the cabin.

Mike

Old 05-26-2024, 02:32 PM

Hi Mike, nope, no sunroof. This is England, remember

Also, I had a look under the glovebox area, where the pollen filter is etc. It's all bone dry under there....

Old 05-29-2024, 05:36 PM
Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

The water in my floor was condensation from the air-conditioner drain. Big clue was that the water was crystal clear. It was leaking from the odd-shaped rubber tube that mates the climate control unit to the floor pan.

Old 06-02-2024, 03:48 PM

Hi POD XF, thanks for the reply. Could you explain where this all is? Any photos or diagrams?

Old 06-02-2024, 08:42 PM

Have a look at this thread I put up when I removed the climate control system from my car (don't worry you don't need to do all this work),
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-done-254220/
in post #7, the second photo shows the floor with everything removed; on top of the front area you can see an opening, a hole around 1" diameter, in the top of the floor hump. That's the opening in the floor for the condensation to drain out. In post #10, the first photo shows the underside of the climate control unit. Just above the 'BG' label you can see the opening in the bottom of the c/c housing, that's where the condensate comes out. There's a rubber (or plastic?) duct that joins these two holes so the water comes off the condenser and drains out straight through the floor on top of the gearbox, my duct was not sealing properly and when I pulled the carpet back in the left footwell it was wet all the way down from that duct. I managed to get some silicon in around it and get it properly in place and sealed up.

Last edited by POD XF; 06-02-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:02 PM

Hi Pod XF, thanks for the reply. That's a hell of a job you took on, most impressive. The condensation drain....are you referring to this location in red? I think the yellow circle is the steering column bulk head opening?

Last edited by Jaguar XF Yorkshire; 06-04-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2024, 12:01 AM

Yep the red one. One day I'll learn to draw circles on photographs.
The yellow one, I don't quite recall, possibly the place where the heater pipes go through the firewall. That's my steering column over on the right!

Old 06-10-2024, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my XF I had a sodden wet floor on the passenger side like you. I found that the drain under the bonnet had become blocked and after a lot of rain (I’m in Scotland- it rains a lot) this overflowed into the vent system and was coming through the cabin pollen filter onto the floor. I used my pressure washer to clear the blockage by blasting water around the side of the bonnet airbag until I got a strong steady flow of water out of the bottom of the wing. The drain is in front of the scuttle panel, so its independent of it as such.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2024, 04:02 PM

Yep the red one. One day I'll learn to draw circles on photographs.
The yellow one, I don't quite recall, possibly the place where the heater pipes go through the firewall. That's my steering column over on the right!
Hi Pod XF, I'm fairly certain this isn't my issue as it's all dry on the right side of the carpet / foam from the red circle location down to the passenger floor. The yellow circle is think is steering column bulk head opening, blanked off - if the car is left hand drive....

p.s. circles are easy to draw in MS Paint, on any Windows 7/8/10 PC. Just open the photo up in the application and you can add various shapes, including arrows from the menu above, and select their colour. Make sure you use a copy of the photo and not the original.

Last edited by Jaguar XF Yorkshire; 06-10-2024 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added quote reply
Old 06-10-2024, 04:04 PM

Hi Scrandman, thanks, I'll check the drain you refer to. My pollen filter is bone dry however, as is the entire area underneath the glovebox. But the water could be getting into the passenger footwell via another route from the blocked drain you refer to...which leads me onto my next post....

Old 06-10-2024, 04:16 PM

Okay...I've got an interesting update. Photos and descriptions below:

This is the front of the passenger footwell, just so you can get your bearings....

The hole in the top left corner has had water coming out as you can clearly see a water stain on the foam that sits on top of it. Does anyone know how water gets into this void/hole?

These two wiring looms are on the panel just in front of the front passenger door. Water is trickling a few times a day from behind the grey plastic wiring loom. If you look carefully, you'll see a dribble of water coming out.

Grey wiring loom removed. I've left it like this and every day, there is a few table spoons of water below.

WATER TRAPPED
The upshot is there is water trapped in a void somewhere because I can hear it swishing around when driving the car. It is exactly the same sound as when the doors are full of water. It isn't any of the doors by the way, because I've checked and their drain holes are all clear and I've also moved the doors back and forth to listen for the very obvious water sound. But water is definitely trapped somewhere else and it's oozing out very slowly, a few times a day out of this hole under this grey wiring loom. It sounds like it's coming from the left corner of the passenger footwell or possibly directly in front of it. Any ideas, anyone?!

My feeling is that a drain hole is blocked somewhere, and water has built up in a void and it's eventually come into the passenger footwell area, especially after we've had a lot of rain in the last 2 years. If anyone knows of the locations of drain holes under the car, that would be useful!

Last edited by Jaguar XF Yorkshire; 06-10-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar XF Yorkshire
WATER TRAPPED
The upshot is there is water trapped in a void somewhere because I can hear it swishing around when driving the car. It is exactly the same sound as when the doors are full of water. It isn't any of the doors by the way, because I've checked and their drain holes are all clear and I've also moved the doors back and forth to listen for the very obvious water sound. But water is definitely trapped somewhere else and it's oozing out very slowly, a few times a day out of this hole under this grey wiring loom. It sounds like it's coming from the left corner of the passenger footwell or possibly directly in front of it. Any ideas, anyone?!

My feeling is that a drain hole is blocked somewhere, and water has built up in a void and it's eventually come into the passenger footwell area, especially after we've had a lot of rain in the last 2 years. If anyone knows of the locations of drain holes under the car, that would be useful!
So water is coming out of the hole where that grey connector mounts? Redneck and not a fix but you could help the drying process along by drilling a hole approximately as marked. Push the wire harness out of the way of course. Or tap around there and find a better, lower spot.

Old 06-13-2024, 11:51 AM

Hi 2010XFPushBrakeHarderToStart

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's coming out of the hole behind the grey harness/wiring loom. I'd rather not do that because it's not fixing the key issue - how is it getting there and why isn't it draining away. It's also coming out very slowly....once or twice a day, about 10-15ml.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2024, 01:47 PM

Took it to an independent Jaguar garage but they didn't have a clue where the water was. They removed the N/S/F undertray, N/S wheel arch liner, and N/S outer sill trim and checked the grommets and drilled pilot holes in this area to drain water but to nothing came out. They also removed heater motor/fan and checked inside the heater box.

This issue is still still unresolved, for the record, in case anyone reads this now or in the future and has any ideas.....

Old 07-17-2024, 02:20 PM

Did you try the drain near the bonnet airbag / scuttle with a pressure washer or hose to make sure it’s coming out of the bottom of the wing? Mine was blocked and coming into the footwell via the pollen filter area, but there’s a chance yours could be blocked further down and / or split as the vicinity to where you are seeing the water coming in is quite coincidental.

Old 07-21-2024, 07:56 AM

Well I've used a standard hose to put water into that area and the water came straight out underneath to the floor....

Old 07-21-2024, 09:14 AM

Sounds like that’s ok then. Not sure what else to suggest - would removing the arch liner give you access to the other side of the hole where the water is seeping in? Might give you a few clues if it does.