XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the latest on radio replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 05:19 PM
Received 142 Likes on 83 Posts
Default What is the latest on radio replacement???

Wife's '06 XK8 radio has continued to degrade; we learned to live with the volume control not functioning by using the steering wheel volume control. But now the radio volume will change all on it's own...goes up and down.
I have taken the radio out and tried to clean around the volume control which actually made the volume control function again...but for only about two weeks and then back to not functioning again.
Also of course the CD changer errors out often.

So what is the latest on an aftermarket radios? Is there one that will fit in the dash with a single CD capability?
I did a search and only found quite old postings......has anyone done this within the last few years that would care to share???

Or is the only option to get a used unit??

Thanks

Old 06-12-2024, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Lannyl81
Wife's '06 XK8 radio has continued to degrade; we learned to live with the volume control not functioning by using the steering wheel volume control. But now the radio volume will change all on it's own...goes up and down.
I have taken the radio out and tried to clean around the volume control which actually made the volume control function again...but for only about two weeks and then back to not functioning again.
Also of course the CD changer errors out often.

So what is the latest on an aftermarket radios? Is there one that will fit in the dash with a single CD capability?
I did a search and only found quite old postings......has anyone done this within the last few years that would care to share???

Or is the only option to get a used unit??

Thanks
Almost any single din unit will work as far as fit and function go, the biggest issue is trying to end up with something that looks like it belongs. The curvature of the facia can be a complication but facia kits are available.
l went with an Android full function but it was a little more involved than plug and play.

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
sklimii (06-15-2024), steidts (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 10:19 AM

The Android unit looks nice, especially if the nav system is there as well.
Anyways....is there a "sticky" or someplace that has the radio connector pinouts and signal list?
What is required to get the steering wheels controls to function with an aftermarket radio?

Appreciate any hints or insights.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2024, 01:59 PM
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I opted to use the wiring kit from in car tec found here:
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Jagua...O-cable-29-615

They also have one if you have the alpine / HK audio system.

You would then need a patch cable that matches your chosen HU manufacturer, most android units would use the universal patch lead. (They have Key 1 and Key 2 cables into a block connector)

I also wanted android and used the Joying 8.8 unit talked about on a few threads here. Ended up getting a junk radio and using the fascia from that to fabricate a housing for the 3 dials.

Last edited by W0ngu; 06-13-2024 at 02:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by W0ngu:
gerardbooth (06-17-2024), sklimii (06-15-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 04:57 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by W0ngu
I opted to use the wiring kit from in car tec found here:
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Jagua...O-cable-29-615

They also have one if you have the alpine / HK audio system.

You would then need a patch cable that matches your chosen HU manufacturer, most android units would use the universal patch lead. (They have Key 1 and Key 2 cables into a block connector)

I also wanted android and used the Joying 8.8 unit talked about on a few threads here. Ended up getting a junk radio and using the fascia from that to fabricate a housing for the 3 dials.
I've used InCar Tec wiring kit a few times, including in an X308 and they work great. The did offer a single din fascia adaptor for the XK8 which looked like a great fit but they can't source them anymore. They were a bit pricey but my fascia panel is a bit ropey so I could justify it. Does anyone have an alternative?

I can't find an alternative anywhere. Some ebay and websites list these but I've not find anyone who actually has stock.

Old 06-14-2024, 05:07 AM

Someone has made a 3d model of the full fascia and was publically available.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-piece-237143/

I'm not too sure if its still available. I think I have it somewhere on my computer, but I would need to go looking for it.
Might be worth sending a PM and seeing if they can make it available again.

If you have a later surround (2000+) you should just be able to drop in another radio, its a single din aperture, will just look recessed.
Could also use this to fabricate your own:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5855319

Old 06-14-2024, 05:13 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by W0ngu
Someone has made a 3d model of the full fascia and was publically available.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-piece-237143/

I'm not too sure if its still available. I think I have it somewhere on my computer, but I would need to go looking for it.
Might be worth sending a PM and seeing if they can make it available again.

If you have a later surround (2000+) you should just be able to drop in another radio, its a single din aperture, will just look recessed.
Could also use this to fabricate your own:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5855319
Great, thanks. I'll follow up and report back. Mine is a '98 ('99 MY) car so the aperture doesn't look good with the radio out.

As for fabricating my own, my wife won't even allow me to paint a wall - finesse is not one my strong points so goodness knows what it would look like if I tried to create a surround!

Old 06-14-2024, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by markdpeter
Great, thanks. I'll follow up and report back. Mine is a '98 ('99 MY) car so the aperture doesn't look good with the radio out.

As for fabricating my own, my wife won't even allow me to paint a wall - finesse is not one my strong points so goodness knows what it would look like if I tried to create a surround!
Ah I see, there is also this one for 3d print, I've not seen how it looks in the flesh, but it is made for the earlier fascias and looks to make it more flat instead of having the curve:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4301175

Might be the easiest option. If you dont have access to a printer, I have used these guys in the past when I wanted nylon parts. They are quite pricey, but the quality has always been good.
https://www.3dpeople.uk/

Good luck in getting this sorted

Old 06-15-2024, 01:40 PM

Seems my thread was a bit hi-jacked........
I have looked at the incartech wiring adapters that it appears I need to interface to the radio wiring harness......but looking for some details as to why I need this 29-700PRE and the 29-001 (for Alpine).
Also have searched a bit but could not find a radio wiring harness pinout and signal list.....is there one for a 2006 XK8 somewhere?

Old 06-16-2024, 01:58 AM

Seems my thread was a bit hi-jacked........
I have looked at the incartech wiring adapters that it appears I need to interface to the radio wiring harness......but looking for some details as to why I need this 29-700PRE and the 29-001 (for Alpine).
Also have searched a bit but could not find a radio wiring harness pinout and signal list.....is there one for a 2006 XK8 somewhere?

Sorry about that! 2006 wiring should be the same as 2003+ models and full electrical guides can be found on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Should have the full wiring diagram for standard and premium audio systems on the pdf

Old 06-16-2024, 01:25 PM

I had gone to JagRepair.com a month ago when I first started looking for a wiring diagram as I thought for sure he had them, and he does, I just did not recognize it by the title. I downloaded, then opened the file and sure enough, XK Wiring diagrams....YEAH!!!
Now I can continue on with investigating replacing the OEM Alpine head unit with an aftermarket one. Wife just wants a HU that plays a CD. I got here one of those cassette bluetooth adapters, but she does not use it much, prefers her CDs.
Will need to order some wiring harness adapters from incartech as I do not want to cut-up the vehicle harness.

Thank you!!

Old 06-16-2024, 06:54 PM

Forgot to ask a question:
Do the OEM radios have a lock or anti-thief code stored within?
I am still thinking about just getting a used OEM radio, but would I be able to get it to work?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Received 431 Likes on 280 Posts

Forgot to ask a question:
Do the OEM radios have a lock or anti-thief code stored within?
I am still thinking about just getting a used OEM radio, but would I be able to get it to work?

Thanks
From memory, I think that the radios do use a code. If you buy a used one it might have the code written on it.

You can get the code from a Jaguar dealer if you take the radio with you so that they can see the serial number and you give them the VIN for your car or there are websites which will be able to provide the code if you provide the serial/VIN number. There will be a small charge either way.

Richard

Last edited by RichardS; 06-17-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 07:28 AM

To complete this thread:
I received a used OEM radio I purchased off of ebay. I got busy one afternoon in a quite hot garage, disconnected the battery, removed the center console and the original radio. Connected the used OEM radio with every thing still apart, reconnected the battery, turned the key to ON, then switched the radio ON.....and radio powered-up just fine....no security code. I scanned for FM stations, stored them, scanned for AM stations, stored them. Then switched to CD and played and skipped through the various CDs....all without any issues at all.
Put console back in and wife is now quite happy to have a non-self-adjusting volume control and even the CD changer has not errored-out for the past week.
All is good once again.
Bottom line.....appears that the US market did not use a security code in the radio.
Later,

The following users liked this post:
waltwagner (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Well done....

Old 06-30-2024, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 495 Likes on 357 Posts

I like the fact that the latest on radio replacement is to replace the radio with the same thing.

The following 2 users liked this post by dibbit:
dfbender (06-30-2024), RichardS (06-30-2024)