XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

TPMS Question for Pros - part Deaux

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 12:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS Question for Pros - part Deaux

Hey all,

I am having very similar issues described in this post from 2022 - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-pros-255563/

I did not see the final resolution unless it was to buy 4 new sensors anytime one of them goes bad... My left rear sensor has bit the dust, I have replaced it, but now I am in the throws of everything described in the post from 2022...anybody got a better answer? Basically I am at the point where I can do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery, driving for ~20 minutes and get the TPMS System Failure message...

Thanks...James

Old 06-26-2024, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,393 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Before installation I ALWAYS get the sensors tested. Discount Tire as posted in your linked thread can check them on the counter and tell you if they are working.
Are you aware of the different frequencies? That can cause troubles too.

Also there is about a 7 year life on the batteries and they are not replaceable. No car info so I am limited because of the lack of car information?
Maybe they are just getting old? Any idea how old they are?

Old 06-26-2024, 01:16 PM

This is my 2011 XJ SS... to my knowledge none of the TPMS sensors have ever been replaced on the vehicle, and I have had it since 2014... Discount Tire is where I took it to, they tested each wheel, the left rear was what was showing up on my display as well... so they replaced with a BHS branded dual band 315/433 MHZ sensor, and I no longer have the left rear showing up as malfunctioning, I just get the TPMS System Failure message... I have lowered the air pressure in all 4 tires and aired them back up, have done multiple hard resets via battery disconnection, have driven continuously over 30 MPH over 30 minutes, etc... the hard reset does get the message to go away, but it comes back in about 10-15 minutes of driving...I called Discount Tire back, they are going to get a VDO brand sensor and we'll try that, but I am open to other ideas if you have any?

Old 06-26-2024, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

I purchased my own sensors (2014 XJR) from EBay. Paid about $30 for a set of 4. I have never used those multi frequency units so don't know anything about them. Sounds like your getting close and glad to hear DT is helping! With the age of your car it might be time to bite the bullet and replace all 4?

Many on EBay but you never know if they are any good either?
XJ TPMS Sensors

Old 06-26-2024, 01:43 PM

Yup, there's a butt load of em' on Amazon as well... if this VDO branded one doesn't work, I'll probably just get them all replaced... good news is my A/C is working like a champ :-) ... I was a little concerned maybe that I impacted the TPMS system some way with lifting the car (front end only) during the compressor R&R... I'll update once I get the next sensor installed...

Old 06-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

I am in Texas too and the AC is WAY more important than the TPMS!!
Report back when you can as any search will bring up dozens of people have similar problems.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-26-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 11:51 AM

Update - I have replaced all my sensors with the VDO brand sensors, but to no avail on eliminating my "TPMS System Fault" message... I think I've tried almost everything suggested process wise with the driving, stopping, disconnect battery, etc...Disconnecting the battery does make the message go away, but for only about 10 minutes, then it pops back up again...my diagnostic tool (Foxwell 510) tells me there are fault codes associated wit the TPMS system and supposedly clears them, but doesnt tell me exactly what they are... I am open to trying other tools or processes, just don't want to go to the dealership if I don't have to...

Old 07-28-2024, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

I hate to tell you, but I went through a lot of grief last year on the XF and wound up wasting a lot of time trying to save money on aftermarket sensors. Before replacing all four tires and leaving 10+ year old sensors in them, I asked my local indy what he recommended (because I'd read all these stories on this forum) and he told me "Naw, the aftermarket sensors work just fine." Just have the tire store install whatever new sensors they have, but to record the serial number off each, and if there were any problems, he'd be able to reprogram the TPMS system to recognize them. I'd replaced just one many years back and the Jaguar dealer was able to program it so that seemed reasonable. Well, the new tire store sensors worked. After the first week, then two went by I thought I'd been worried for nothing but after three weeks it threw an error. Went to the indy and he cleared the codes. All good again...... for about two more weeks. Back to the indy and this time he tried some reprogramming he said had worked before but it errored out again just a few days later. Next time he made an appointment with some group to bring the XF in, hook it up to shore power, log into it remotely and reload the TPMS firmware. No joy. After that it only worked for about 10 minutes at a time like yours. Indy was stumped. First time he'd ever had such a problem he said and luckily declined to charge me for all this. I went ahead and ordered new OEM Jaguar ones and went back to the tire store to have them exchanged. Problem solved - didn't even need any programming at all, the new Jaguar OEM sensors just worked right outta the box (you likely wouldn't have to go to the dealer). Don't know what we're going to do when there's no more OEM Jaguar inventory. I'd buy extras, but I figure the batteries inside would discharge in storage at the same rate as the ones on the car.

Old 07-28-2024, 10:41 PM

Arghhhh!!!! Supposedly others have gotten the VDO's to work...my Foxwell 510 diag tool let's me input the code #'s of each sensor into the TPMS system, and says it is clearing the fault codes, but I'm still stuck with the fault message... hoping I don't have to go the OEM route, that make's no sense for this age of vehicle....

Old 07-29-2024, 06:40 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

There're more specifics to a TPMS sensors than just the brand.
in addition to frequency, programmable or programmed, clone-capable.
Do a little internet browsing about different types of sensors, or at least look for the different variants from the supplier you use (VDO for example)
And they all have to match, not a random mixture of brands
It's not just as simple as installing a new one. It takes a little homework or luck.

Old 07-29-2024, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Here is what I did. I got 4 sensors for around $30. Discount Tire can bench check them before installation.
TPMS Replacement

That was almost 3 years ago and they are still working fine. I do wish Jaguar had put more thought into this system? Why can't you bring up all 4 tires and what air pressure each one has? It's already in the system they just decided to not display anything of value..

The following users liked this post:
jameso78 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 11:29 PM

I'm at a loss at this point... looking to invest in a good diag tool for TPMS I think... its probably cheaper than a dealership visit :-) any recommendations out there?

Old 08-03-2024, 09:27 AM

Update - discovered some more interesting information about my TPMS... my diagnostics tool (Foxwell 510 Elite) is saying my spare tire (space saver) has a sensor, because it shows a separate ID for it...also, when I do a sensor test from my tool, the same air pressure reading is showing up for both my left rear and spare tire (~50 lbs PSI) ... I manually checked both, the LR is at 34, spare is at 55... and, my spare does NOT have a locking nut on the valve stem, just plain rubber stem is exposed which would lead you to believe it doesn't have a sensor... really interested in opinions, I am thinking I should get another sensor to put in the spare now so that they all match...thoughts?

Old 08-03-2024, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

The system apparently was delivered both ways?
My 2014 XJR does NOT have a sensor in the spare but I have seen Jaguars that did.

I have attached a big part number list for many cars?

Attached Files
Old 08-03-2024, 11:34 AM

Ahh... thanks for the parts list... I see the type 1D sensor doesn't have a locking nut...I think I'll go ahead and replace the spare sensor with the same as the other wheels... the pressure reading being the same for both spare and LR seems odd, maybe the LR new sensor isn't reading correctly either? I may just replace both and go from there...

thanks...James

Old Today, 10:45 AM

Update - very good news, my TPMS issue is resolved, no more messages!!! For posterity's sake and any other fellow X351 owners out there who may experience similar challenges, I'll retrace the steps I used to diagnose and resolve my issue (apologies for the long reply)....my car is 2011 Jag XJ Supersport (aka Miss Kitty)... all my TPMS sensors are (were) OEM, 13+ years old
  1. LR TPMS sensor went bad, no reading coming from it and "TPMS System Fault message" on dash... Local shop (Discount Tire) replaced it with off brand sensor, I drove the prescribed time above 20MPH, message never went away...I did the battery disconnect, waited a few minutes, reconnect, drove, message comes back after 10 mins of driving...
  2. After consulting this forum, I went back to Discount tire and requested a VDO branded sensor (don't know what model # they used) be installed since that brand appears to be viable from other posts I read. They installed, rinse and repeat on the driving, still had error message.
  3. I then obtained 3 new VDO sensors for my other wheels (model SE52029 - 315 MHZ from Rockauto), had Discount tire install, rinse and repeat on driving, still had error message...
  4. I then did further research including my owner's manual, which stated the car needed to sit idle for 15 mins after the sensors were put in relearn mode before doing the driving cadence. I went back to Discount Tire, we put them all in relearn mode, I waited 15 mins, did the driving, still had error message...
  5. Using my Foxwell NT510 Elite Diag scanner, I began to do some diagnostics myself (its very primitive, but it did help guide me to the cure!)... It has a couple options that helped me get to the root cause. One option provides the IDs of all the sensors for each wheel, including my space saver spare that only has a rubber valve stem in it, not the locking nut kind on all the other wheels. It also would state there were 2-3 faults in the TPMS system and would clear them...but. it never made my message go away, and it never gave any info about what the faults were... the other option in the diag section of the TPMS menu does a sensor test, and basically does like a whole car diag thing - it moves the steering wheel, opens the glove box, turns on the headlights, turns on the windshield wipers, honks the horns, opens the trunk, and finally presents a screen with all the sensors and associated tire pressures - this is the part that helped me zone in... it showed accurate readings for both front tires and RR tire, but LR and space save spare showed 50.75 !
  6. My thoughts now turned to multiple possibilities - bad antenna/transponder on LR wheel and/or spare, bad sensor on spare, maybe still an issue with the VDO sensor (from Discount Tire), or something else?
  7. I went to a local indie shop that had a better scanner than mine to see if they could get some better definition on these fault codes - they could not... also had them test my spare for a reading, they got no signal from it.
  8. So i did some further testing with my Foxwell tool - I let all the air out of my space saver spare, re-ran the sensor test, no change in tire pressure, still showed 50.75...Hmmmm
  9. I did the battery disconnect reset - and then immediately ran the sensor test program again before driving it and guess what, ALL tires showed 50.75 !!! So apparently that is the default reading before driving...and thus, the LR sensor isn't communicating with the TPMS system...
  10. I then ordered 2 more VDO SE52029 model sensors, and had them installed on my LR and Spare tires... my spare ended up not having a sensor in it, but it does now :-).. the confusing part on that is the diag tool shows a specific ID for it just like all the other tires.
  11. The tire shop then put all my sensors in relearn mode, I waited for 15 minutes, and then began my drive - the message went away in the 1st 3 miles!!! All is well!!!
My only remaining question is about the spare - the diag tool clearly shows an ID for that sensor (it still has the old one, not the new one)...maybe the antenna is bad for it? its still a puzzle, but not urgent :-)

Hope this is clear and helps someone along the way!!!

Cheers...James

Last edited by jameso78; Today at 10:56 AM.