F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOS Limited Functionality after reconnecting TCM & replacing its battery

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:03 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default SOS Limited Functionality after reconnecting TCM & replacing its battery

MY2018 F-Type R.

Anything I can further try to resolve the code? Is it expected that a code is thrown when the module is reconnected & that the dealer would have to reset it?

I located a buzzing/rattle inside telematics unit, adding some insulation inside it around the circuit board metal plate and making sure the buzzing is gone which was very satisfying. I was careful not to damage or disturb anything.

I turned on the car WITHOUT the module plugged in and got the SOS System Not Available. Car would not start which I later learned is by design if SOS is disconnected.

I then plugged in the module connectors, turned on and got SOS Limited Functionality. I took a guess the module's small battery might have needed replacement and bought a new OEM (part LR089861) one since it was $17, however after replacing it and driving the code does not go away.

I tried reconnecting the main car battery as well as charging it with CTEK MXS 5.0 overnight.

I also tried an OBDLink MX+ reader but it didn't see any codes and clearing DTC didn't help, likely because this is an OEM DTC instead which I don't know of any personal use OBD reader that could see these codes.

Last edited by pistol; Today at 01:05 AM.
Old Today, 05:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TCM reset after SOS Limited Functionality

Although the 'SOS Limited Functionality' error message appears for various TCM related faults, I've not been able to identify any DTC that is logged (iCarsoft using Jaguar interogation mode).

The main 'SOS Limited Functionality' issues with TCM are:

1. Lack of signal for the built in SIM card to connect to Jaguar InControl services.
2. Discharged rechargeable lithium battery.
3. Disconnected centre speaker - yes really. MY2018 onwards use the centre dash speaker to provide inbound communcation from the InControl emergency services. The TCM has a detection routine to check continuity of centre speaker and will throw up error message if centre speaker not detected. Even if you have base or Meridian 380W sound system, you will also have a centre speaker exclusively for telematics.
4. Error with the TCM itself - unfortunately my case. Expensive out of warranty repair

Any work on TCM needs to be concluded with reset routine to establish communcation with InControl services. See linked video from 6:30 onwards -->

The following users liked this post:
DJS (Today)