XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XKR- New Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 03:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New XKR- New Issues!

I recently acquired a 2001 XKR Coupe. Black on cashmere with a Marshmello twist. That being, it has roasted in the sun for several years, making it one of the crispiest jaguars I've owned to date. It currently has only 59k miles, supported by ample repair documentations. Had a misfire on cylinder 3 which has since gone away with the things I have done.

Things done so far
- Oil change (oil was dark brown)
- New spark plugs and coil packs (fixed misfire but there is oil in the spark plug socket)
- New valve gaskets (to fix the oil in spark plug socket issue)
- New Battery
- New wheel speed sensors
- New Headlight (housing had no lens)
- Hard reset
The timing chain tensioners have not been upgraded yet. I have the whole kit and plan to do it soon. Monday the car is getting a new belt, water pump, as well as maf sensor. All the work I've been doing myself...but I plan on driving it to a Jaguar dealership for a full diagnosis. One thing the dealership is any good for is finding every single issue, in hopes to charge you more than the car is worth! It will be super helpful to have a long list of things to do...

Now for the best part..all the current issues (at least the ones I've found so far)
- Engine Tapping and Clacking (valve springs / cam shims?) cam looks great no signs of wear
- ABS module issue (light on when car is stopped and stays on)
- Intermittent and then constant airbag light flashing
- Car shifts fine, but during harder acceleration there is hard shifting that jolts the entire car (fluid change, synchro, module?!)

Oil on spark plugs

Camshaft side with clacking sound

Poor condition paint (will need to be sanded and wrapped)

Last edited by JagWRLD; 06-30-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:22 PM
Received 567 Likes on 273 Posts

Appears a lot of potential. both positive and some negative. Looks like the Plastic Tensioners are negative. They are a grenade and may last or just go off. The transmission service may help your shifting situation. The XKR has a Mercedes A/T I think. The XK8's have the weak drum 5HP26 . Sounds like the car is on the way to a great ride. Since the engine is a 4.0L, cannot advise about the tap but they 4.2l some times tap when first cranked and quieten down momentarily. Good Luck with your toy.

Old 06-30-2024, 05:29 PM

Thank you! I feel most xk100 projects usually start with the timing chain so it’s not unexpected I’d need to replace it. It is more so the transmission I am concerned about. I plan to change the fluids and pan, then that will hopefully clear up any shifting issues. Then she will go to the dealership for the full evaluation!

Old 06-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 984 Posts

Why take chances ? You know what will happen when the cam tensioners give up. I would park the car until those are attended to.

Z

The following 4 users liked this post by zray:
Dr. D (Yesterday), JACKP (Yesterday), michaelh (Yesterday), Y2KJag (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

^^^^ This! You do not want to have an impromptu meeting of valves and pistons.

The following users liked this post:
JACKP (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 984 Posts

The previous owner of my 2002 XKR keep putting off the tensioner repair as he was thinking about selling the car anyway, and it was running very good with no signs of impending disaster.

not hard to guess the rest of this story.

KA BOOM and a slow costing to the side of the road .

the car was repaired by an indie Jaguar shop, with a new water pump as well,at a cost of nearly $5,000 and put up for sale. Leaving the owner with a bad taste in his mouth that could’ve been completely avoided.

Z

JACKP (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 488 Likes on 351 Posts

With the cam covers off you can easily change the secondary tensioners, which are the ones that will kill your engine if they fail:-

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-how-52653/

RJ237 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 04:14 PM

A little update!
I replaced the water pump with the upgraded metal option just yesterday, and that went smoothly with the exception of the coolant overflow bleed line snapping. Whoops. I am super careful of the plastic tensioners- who knows how brittle they are in combination with baking in the sun! Took a mechanic stethoscope and listened briefly to all the tapping noises (I was worried it was something worse) but turns out my injectors are just really noisy.

So far the game plan is this:
  1. Install new MAF sensor, thermostat, and belts which came in the mail today.
  2. Remove transmission pan and replace filter and fluid (possibly re check / drain in 500 miles)
  3. 3 full days+- to remove and replace entire timing chain kit including removing cams and replacing lifters to eliminate tick (may as well since everything will be opened up.) Also remove supercharger intake and replace injectors.
  4. Coolant flush and fluid check.
  5. Sand / prime paint to be wrapped.
  6. Install stainless steel braided brake lines, new brake fluid, and replace brake pads.
  7. Take the car to a tire shop to have the front and back wheels swapped (who put the front wheels on the back vice versa??? ) + aligned and balanced.
At this point I should have a semi-presentable XKR, and can move on the interior. -which needs a driver's door panel, new wood, reader's lights, both rear quarter panel inserts, and new driver's seat. Not too shabby just thoroughly cooked by the sun. I've been pondering a nice set of bride or recaro bucket seats for the front, but would also like to have the originals.

Taking everything one step at a time but hope to have this all finished by the end of the month (with the interior as an exception of course!). It's not being driven until the timing chain tensioners have been replaced, but I am excited to revive it and get her back on the roads!

michaelh (Today)