XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Which Clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 04:48 PM
Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Which Clamp?

The pictured little clamps, which are easy to remove & reusable, were original with the car. However, the new Jaguar Factory hose includes just a standared spring clamp. Which is better? Thanks & best, Steve S.

Old 07-07-2024, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 796 Likes on 669 Posts

Unlike many, i have learned to appreciate the spring clamps.

The following 3 users liked this post by Wingrider:
04Xjrsteve (07-08-2024), chemosabe (07-08-2024), Pete M (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 08:09 PM
Received 182 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Unlike many, i have learned to appreciate the spring clamps.
Can't fault that.

The only "advantage" an Ideal/Jubilee pattern still has it that it takes so very FEW as 'onboard' spares - or buy anywhere - to cover a "get you home" emergency.

Then again, many such needs usta bee covered with slip-joint pliers applied to a length of soft Iron wire..

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks, Guys. I will go with the spring clamps that came with the new hoses.

Have a great day!

Old 07-08-2024, 03:22 PM
Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

The reason the OEM clamps were used is that they are cheaper than the standard Ideal-style, and could be applied quickly (using the magic factory tool) at the factory. In the age of rampant cost cutting, saving 2 cents per clamp makes manufacturers go with "good enough". I've found that buying the kits with all the sizes of stainless ideal clamps works best for me, and comes in handy for all sorts of stuff (mower fuel filters, etc. etc.).
Amazon Amazon

04Xjrsteve (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Thanks, Guys. I will go with the spring clamps that came with the new hoses.

Have a great day!
they are quite easy to do when they come with the plastic spreaders. I save those dudes in case i have to remove a hose for something else and use them again

04Xjrsteve (07-08-2024)
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
The reason the OEM clamps were used is that they are cheaper than the standard Ideal-style, and could be applied quickly (using the magic factory tool) at the factory. In the age of rampant cost cutting, saving 2 cents per clamp makes manufacturers go with "good enough". I've found that buying the kits with all the sizes of stainless ideal clamps works best for me, and comes in handy for all sorts of stuff (mower fuel filters, etc. etc.).
Hi ctsemicon,
I disagree that the rationale behind using spring clamps is cost cutting. The screw-type clamp can also be manufactured for a few cents, as the prices of the assortments show. Those screw hose clamps are incredibly useful for all types of applications, but I don't think they should replace the standard hose clips as supplied by Jaguar.
The advantages of the spring clip are that it will not slacken with time, it is perfectly circular, and it has a certain clamping force designed into it. It really is 'fit and forget'. As more and more car parts are manufactured in plastic, the circular shape and even clamping force become important. I cracked a plastic heater hose part because the previous owner had replaced the spring clamp with a worm-type, and I couldn't detect that the force was too great for the aged plastic part.
If there were faults in the spring clamps, the pre-production testing would have revealed it as an issue that had warranty implications. The cost savings of using a possibly slightly cheaper clamp style would soon be wiped out by a rash of recalls or warranty engine replacements.
When I replaced my supercharger and all the associated cooling hoses in 2021, I used the original spring clamps throughout. I have had no coolant loss or leaks since doing that work.
Even with needing a couple of inexpensive special tools, the fit-and-forget oem spring clamps are, I believe the best choice.

Pete M

04Xjrsteve (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 420 Posts

Most spring clamps are also wider than their replacement worm drive clamps which is nice. In some areas it is way easier to get the special pliers in than a screwdriver or nutdriver or socket with ratchet. And worse yet is having a tough one to get to and just when you are not quite tight the worm strips and you have to start over

Last edited by scottjh9; Yesterday at 06:56 PM.
04Xjrsteve (Yesterday)
Old Today, 05:55 AM
Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Pete M. I agree with your assessment. It is easier to use (avoid over-torque, snap on and off) the OEM spring clamps - I've seen overzealous DIY tighten the worm gear ones to the point of creating a leak where none was before. I dunno why, but I always seem to lose or misplace the OEM ones, and keep a ready supply of worm gear'd ones to fill in for them. Of course, I always find the OEM spring clip one after I am all done re-assembling ; and now I have a drawer full of OEM spring clamps to compliment my worm gear type.