XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2024 XF, Shifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 XF, Shifting Question

Just bought my first Jaguar a few weeks ago. Took it through the carwash today, the kind that their rollers push you through it. With my previous car, I could just shift to Neutral as I rolled to a stop without braking. When I tried it today with the new XF, it shifted to Reverse or Drive or Sport, but not Neutral. As I shifted back and forth to find Neutral, "HOLD" popped up in the instrument panel apparently telling me I couldn't shift anymore. Can anyone tell me what that HOLD is? What does it mean? What did I do to cause it? How do I get rid of it if it comes up again? Unfortunately, I was one of those idiots that forced them to stop the carwash so I could apply the brake, THEN shift to Neutral. Answers appreciated.

Old 07-15-2024, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mytwocents
Just bought my first Jaguar a few weeks ago. Took it through the carwash today, the kind that their rollers push you through it. With my previous car, I could just shift to Neutral as I rolled to a stop without braking. When I tried it today with the new XF, it shifted to Reverse or Drive or Sport, but not Neutral. As I shifted back and forth to find Neutral, "HOLD" popped up in the instrument panel apparently telling me I couldn't shift anymore. Can anyone tell me what that HOLD is? What does it mean? What did I do to cause it? How do I get rid of it if it comes up again? Unfortunately, I was one of those idiots that forced them to stop the carwash so I could apply the brake, THEN shift to Neutral. Answers appreciated.
Carwash? You take your baby to a CARWASH! Never heard of "HOLD". Sounds like it activated the EPB (Electric Parking Brake) but I don't know. You need to look in the manual for the way to disengage the EPB. Also there's a procedure to disengage the transmission for towing you should be familiar with if you're ever in that situation.

Old 07-15-2024, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got through to someone at the dealership who had an partial answer for me. The HOLD is indeed the brake. It's intended to keep the car from rolling or moving when you come to a stop and take your foot off the brake pedal. Yet that function was turned off and no answer as to how it turned itself on.

Also, yes I took it through a carwash. While it's a beautiful car, it's still a car. Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-15-2024, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 349 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mytwocents
.... The HOLD is indeed the brake. It's intended to keep the car from rolling or moving when you come to a stop and take your foot off the brake pedal. Yet that function was turned off and no answer as to how it turned itself on......
I had the HOLD function in my last Mercedes and loved it. When Jaguar asked me how to improve on the X260 I said "add a Hold function". So it is there but needs to be turned on I suppose. I wonder why they deleted it.

Old Today, 11:28 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

[/QUOTE]Also, yes I took it through a carwash. While it's a beautiful car, it's still a car. Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

Each to his own of course, but you only have to look at rental cars that are routinely put through automatic car washes, to see the paint absolutely covered with fine scratches. Regular use of these will dull the paintwork quite significantly.
If you don't want to manually wash your car, the best alternatives are the hand held jet washes, with a soap brush to get stubborn dirt off if you want it.