XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ6 needs paint, considering looking outside California for quotes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 10:40 PM
Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Default XJ6 needs paint, considering looking outside California for quotes

Yup, time for a respray. L.A. area prices are waaay out there, so I'm considering looking elsewhere in the US to git 'r done....maybe Arizona, Nevada or even further away...

So what kind of money are you all seeing for decent work from outfits familiar with classic Jaguars?

Thanks!

​​​​​

Old 07-15-2024, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outside CA paintwork

I just had my C Type replica body sections painted by 1st Choice Collision Center. Work is flawless and was worth the trip from CO to TX. Phone 210-737-2886. Ask for Joe Nguyen or David Nguyen tell them Bob Grossman referred you. I selected an expensive Jaguar Krypton Blue. Prices are lower for other materials. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2024, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Yup, time for a respray. L.A. area prices are waaay out there, so I'm considering looking elsewhere in the US to git 'r done....maybe Arizona, Nevada or even further away...

So what kind of money are you all seeing for decent work from outfits familiar with classic Jaguars?

Thanks!

​​​​​
What kind of prices are you being quoted?

A barely decent Maaco job is $3000-$5000 these days. For a premium job I wouldn't be surprised at $15,000-$20,000 at a specialty shop..... depending on the amount of rust repair and body work needed.

Many of the specialty/classic/collector shops will do a respray only one way: 100% or nothing. Their work is on display to the world and they don't want to be associated with anything but the very best result.

If you had something less in mind in can be difficult finding a shop to do medium-grade job

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
benji808 (Today), slofut (07-15-2024)
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
Received 122 Likes on 52 Posts

Damn…I didn’t realize carvpsinting was so expensive. How about a wrap?

Old Today, 08:34 AM
Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by XKDreams
Painting a car is labor intensive. A lot of time and effort to prep the car for paint, and that’s the most important stage. It’s skilled labor too with a high hourly rate. The time adds up fast before you add in materials, and they’re not particularly cheap either.

Old Today, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
What kind of prices are you being quoted?

A barely decent Maaco job is $3000-$5000 these days. For a premium job I wouldn't be surprised at $15,000-$20,000 at a specialty shop..... depending on the amount of rust repair and body work needed.

Many of the specialty/classic/collector shops will do a respray only one way: 100% or nothing. Their work is on display to the world and they don't want to be associated with anything but the very best result.

If you had something less in mind in can be difficult finding a shop to do medium-grade job

Cheers
DD
Hey Doug,thanks mate.

Yeah I'm aware of the fact that nobody doing it right is gonna underbid themselves, it's more about regional averages....I imagine that California prices are going to be well ahead of other States, though to what % remains to be seen. A restorer here quoted a figure from a paint shop he's used well in excess of your premium reference....by more than double....so I thought it best to have some rough ideas regarding what other States close by are charging before getting any serious quotes.

I expected to throw +/- 10K at a decent respray...but it's an XJ6, not an E-type so nobody needs to worry about their work showing up at Pebble Beach anytime soon.

Last edited by Chris Scott; Today at 05:32 PM.
Old Today, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by XKDreams
Be it paint or a wrap, the amount of prep work will be pretty much the same.