Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Mirror Control - I'm Baffled

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Power Mirror Control - I'm Baffled

1998 (MY '99) XK8 X100 Convertible
My mirror adjustment hasn't worked properly since I bought the car. There was also a problem with the drivers door window switches and I expected that when I took the drivers door switchpack apart and cleaned it up, full operation would be restored. Sure enough, the windows worked fine but the only element of the door mirror adjustment that worked was the upwards vertical movement on the passenger side. I checked all the wiring for continuity between the switchpack and drivers door module and between the module and the drivers door mirror - all good. I assumed, then, it must be the switchpack and so replaced it with a known good one - no change. I next moved onto the drivers door module and got a replacement, here's what I've found:
  • WIth new or old switchpack and with the original door module, I only have upwards vertical movement on the passenger side mirror
  • WIth either switchpack and with the replacement door module, I only have downwards vertical movement on both the passenger and drivers side mirrors
  • When I swap the modules, the drivers side electric window switch operates the passenger side windows and the passenger side switch (in the driver door switchpack) doesn't operate anything. A module reset putting the +ve and -ve battery cables together fixes the window issue but has no impact on the mirror movement
I think my next step is to take out the passenger door module and replace it with one of the drivers side modules (I believe they are interchangable) but I thought this was the right time to ask for guidance from the forum members.

It feels like a programming problem and maybe some configuration changes are needed. Any other ideas or suggestions? You can see that I know some basic troubleshooting steps but I've reached my limit...

Cheers

Mark

Old Today, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

You say you had a known good replacement switch pack - how did you know? Did you test the switchpack out of the car with a multimeter before installing it?

The window operation getting swapped suggests the modules learn which side they are on and the reset cleared that learned behaviour - door modules with the same part numbers should be directly swappable without programming.

Please update us with what happens when you swap the passenger and drivers door modules to see what that reveals.

Old Today, 04:44 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbit
Did you test the switchpack out of the car with a multimeter before installing it?
Yes, I tested both switchpacks and they were both good.

Originally Posted by dibbit
Please update us with what happens when you swap the passenger and drivers door modules to see what that reveals.
Will do. Hopefully this week.