XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2005 XK8 - How to remove drivers seat- no power to seaT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 09:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2005 XK8 - How to remove drivers seat- no power to seaT

My significant other borrowed my 2005 Jag XK8 and when adjusting the seat to her much shorter size and height lost power to the seat. I also no longer have power to the steering column adjustments (up/down, in/out), power to the trunk open no longer functions and in the drivers side fuse panel the last 10A fuse is blown. I am not able to replace the fuse as any replacement fuse is blown immediately when inserted. I am thinking she may have pinched the power cable under the seat ? I don't seem to be smart enough to figure out how to remove the drivers seat without the ability to move the seat fully forward or fully back. Any suggestions?

Last edited by XCrossWindsX; 07-15-2024 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 495 Likes on 357 Posts

The first thing you need to do is get the electrical guide for your car and work out what that 10A fuse is supplying. On my 2001, the seat motors are protected by a 20A fuse, so why losing a 10A fuse should stop the seats working is your first mystery to solve. Is 10A the correct fuse for that fuse holder?

If you really can't get the seats to work, your last resort is to disconnect the seat motors from the seat module and jump the motors directly to move the seat back and fore, but first work out what is going on with that fuse.

Old Today, 01:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The fuse is located on the Drivers Side Facia fuse box and is the last fuse on the right side of the box in the next to last position.... nothing in the last position. Sorry, My cover on the boot fuse box tells me nothing on the fuses and their locations. It appears to be an accessories fuse. I tried a 30A fuse and it blew on contact when putting it in. Not a good decision but one I did try. Tells me there is a major short across the circuit but I have no idea what the list of accessories are for the fuse there. I did find the steering column adjustments work when using the memory 1&2, the steering column goes to its assign position but the seats do not adjust. I'll put in shop and have them trace it all out.

Old Today, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 495 Likes on 357 Posts

When you have some spare time, download the electrical guide for your car and study it - all the answers to electrical problems will be revealed to you and its much better to work on your car on your computer rather than risk setting fire to the wiring:-

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old Today, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 685 Likes on 556 Posts

I am also gifted with shorter height. My current XK8 was bought from a much taller owner. When I went to adjust the seat, about halfway to where I needed it the fuse blew. putting in another fuse got me a few more inches then blew again. I was able to reach under the seat and move the wiring enough to get past the short. I also raised the seat first to get more clearance as the wiring was bunching up. Got lucky and was able to put electrical tape around the frayed wire without removing the seat. All fine now.

Poking around the wiring is worth a shot and costs nothing. The wiring loom is pretty thick and the insulating wrap will have begun to disintegrate. Do not sit in the seat when testing as your weight may cause the short again.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (Today)