XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

F*******g fuel tank removal

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 385 Posts
Default F*******g fuel tank removal

Am l missing something ?

Tank moves, Right hand side comes out about 6", but the left side moves only a few inches.... Is there something still connected behind the left side ?

Last edited by malc4d; Yesterday at 12:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

I know on later cars the fuel in let and return lines are under the tank and must be disconnected.
Don't know when this change happened.

The following 2 users liked this post by equiprx:
Greg in France (Today), JJS- Florida (Today)
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 385 Posts

Thanks.
I just saw that on a photo from Ebay. So l've got to get under the car....Dam.

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

It's a real bear to get at the "D" ring capture rings and sometimes those hoses don't want to be pulled.
My arms were too short to reach up into the top of the diff hump and get at everything.
Use long reach pliers or fashion a hook to pull the "D" ring wires.
Once the rings are out, if the hoses don't come loose, try twisting them to break them free.
To reattach the hoses, you may need to reshape the rings so they are tight, before pushing the hoses on.
Replace O-rings with new Viton ones and pre-lube the connectors before reconnecting.

The following 2 users liked this post by equiprx:
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Hi Malc

I'm not gonna Sugar Coat this for you, as removing the Fuel Tank, is the Job from Hell and if you think that this sounds bad, just wait till you try and put it back, not of course forgetting a New Fuel Pump!

If you ever thought about ending it all, then this could be about the perfect time, as this is such a Horrible job, that when everyone wonders what happened to you, they will almost certainly say, that Malc must have drowned in the tears of his own disappointment!

So as much as it goes against the grain, this is probably one job that I would willingly give to a Shop, as having done this job myself on the same car twice, it is one of those job you'd wish you never started

Except of course its too late now, you have! and so you will need a massive great Fridge Full of Beer for this one

In which Case you may also need, my all singing and dancing guide to how I managed to do it and come out the other side

How to remove the Fuel Tank and replace the Fuel Pump on a 1995 XJS 4.0L Convertible Including Shedloads of Photos from Page 90 onwards

Looking at where you are at now, you can't pull the Fuel Tank out, as the Fuel lines on the LHS are the one big thing that's holding you back, apart from the Fuel Filler Tube and The Filler Cap as well as the breather tube that is connected to it and those on there own are a Nightmare of Epic Proportions to pull out

As for undoing the Fuel Lines that are connected to the Tank, you need a Special Jaguar Tool to remove them, I mean you didn't think that it would be that easy, or then again maybe you did?

The good News is you can make one, out of a length of 1/2 inch Copper Water Pipe, where you will find the Instructions for this somewhere in that Thread

The Metal ends of the Fuel Pipes are pushed into 'O' Rings in the Metal Tubes sticking out of the Tank and so you need the Special Tool which you can make, to Push and Compress the 'O' Rings, while you Pull the Spring Clips out from the Side and then once having done so Pull the Fuel Pipes out

Nothing to it really, except that the Cage is right in the way! which easily turns that easy job into a big problem but whatever you do, please don't lose those Clips, or you could have a problem finding replacements

Everything else you need to do, should be explained in the Thread, along with lots of Photos, that will hopefully help

Good Luck and come back if you get any probs

Alex

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Old Today, 10:30 AM

Alex,
I did the job with very little experience as a mechanic and almost zero Jaguar experience.
My intention was to show that it can be done but it's VERY uncomfortable to do it.
You don't need ANY special tools, but you might need to improvise some hacks.
I didn't destroy the special clips when I ripped them out but I did have to reshape them a bit.
Even if you did destroy them, they ARE available at NOT an unreasonable cost.
Farming out this job to a shop would cost more than the car is worth, even if you could find a shop willing to do it.
There are probably no mechanics that would have ANY experience with this job.
My biggest question is this really required to fix the car?????
Steve

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (Today)
Old Today, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Hi Steve

Having to Remove the Tank or even pull it back far enough to replace the Fuel Pump is a Nightmare! and that is why a Shop might Charge you $2000-$3000 to do this Job for you and bear in mind that they have all the equipment that most people may not have. as well as other guys around to help

So if you or anyone else can easily earn $2000 or $3000 then getting a Shop to do the Job, could really be money well spent to save you all the Stress and Strain of having to do this yourself, as it is far more awkward than it would appear, with Zero Job satisfaction as it's a drudge all the way through

Everything but everything needs to come out of the Boot/Trunk before you even start and when you take the Gas Strut out that Boot/Trunk Lid weighs a Ton!

So the only thing that you can do in order to help yourself, is to try and negotiate a good price by making sure that you don't come across as a 'Punter' as we say in the UK

Don't look Rich! look poor like me but act as if you know what you are doing, as well as everything this job entails as that is the only way that you won't get ripped off, so if it were me, my opening bid would be $500=$1000 though if you go to a Main Dealer then it could be Considerably more

I just decided to do it myself because I like trying to do these impossible jobs, even though most of the time I don't know what I'm doing

But that's just me