X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cut out while driving.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cut out while driving.

Hi, got a 2005, awd 2.5 v6. Battery used to go flat and found out it was too small for the car. Got a new battery and been fine for a month or so. Driving today and on slowing down, car just completely cut out!
Battery light and the one on left next to it on. Tried to start it, plenty of power in battery. It did start on about 6th attempt. Has worked fine after starting and stopping for a few miles after. But worrying as don't know if it may happen again, in traffic or somewhere you can't pull over as power steering gone etc. Any ideas anyone? Thanks Michael.

Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

mick3162, when you say it cut out, that can mean a lot of things. Did the engine stumble a little bit (like it was running out of fuel) or simply like you turned the ignition switch off? I am getting conflicting potentials based on what you have said. Because of the "start on the 6th attempt" makes me think you had a fuel pump issue, but unless you were running the car very, very low on fuel, I would not suspect that to be a problem. Granted, was the car under a half tank (or better closer to 1/4 of a tank). If so, then your problem could be that the transfer pump wasn't pumping for some reason and you truely "ran out of gas", but once you cycled things, the transfer pump kicked back on and evened out the fuel situation.

The next time the car will not seem to start on the first crank, roll the ignition switch to the RUN position, sit there for 3-5 seconds, then finally roll the key to the START position. This will allow the fuel pump to prime the fuel system. If this makes things better, then your fuel pump is on its way out. If no change, then gotta be looking elsewhere.

Old Today, 05:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your car cutting out while driving. Have you checked the battery or had it tested recently? It could be a sign of a weak battery or an issue with the alternator. I would recommend getting it checked out by a mechanic to see if they can diagnose the issue. Let us know how it goes!

free robux website

Old Today, 07:20 AM
Default Car cut out

Hi, thanks for your reply. The car didn't appear to stumble like running out of petrol, but then I was coming up to a roundabout behind a bus. The car is auto so I'd taken my foot off the accelerator a while before. I didn't even realise until I tried to steer and power steering didn't work. Pulled over and only the battery and oil light were on. Then, as I said, tried starting several times and it started. Stopped twice on the way home and it was ok. But yes, the fuel gauge is just below a quarter tank. I usually put some in when the light comes on as on a budget! It does sound feasible what you said. Is it a saddle type fuel tank then, so the auxiliary pump, pumps it over when low. I had an old rangerover with that problem. I guess it's very hard to check? Thanks Michael.

Old Today, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by mick3162
Hi, thanks for your reply. The car didn't appear to stumble like running out of petrol, but then I was coming up to a roundabout behind a bus. The car is auto so I'd taken my foot off the accelerator a while before. I didn't even realise until I tried to steer and power steering didn't work. Pulled over and only the battery and oil light were on. Then, as I said, tried starting several times and it started. Stopped twice on the way home and it was ok. But yes, the fuel gauge is just below a quarter tank. I usually put some in when the light comes on as on a budget! It does sound feasible what you said. Is it a saddle type fuel tank then, so the auxiliary pump, pumps it over when low. I had an old rangerover with that problem. I guess it's very hard to check? Thanks Michael.
if the car was wanting to start every single one of those six times you tried to start it , it sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Likely the pump. If the car was just completely dead when you tried to restart it, as if someone had removed the battery , then you are looking at an electrical problem with the cables or the fuse box

Old Today, 10:41 AM

Thanks for your concern alexken but as said earlier, it's a brand new correct size battery. And there's no issues with the power.

Old Today, 10:53 AM

Hi, no the car wasn't trying to start the first times trying to start it again. Until suddenly, just started as normal. I'm 62 and have had many vehicles and used to fix stuff myself years ago with simpler engines. But these new cars have so many electronic devices it's so difficult to diagnose. I initially thought it could be an electrical fault. As cut out dead. But, battery and oil light on. Then turned over, cranked as normal, pretty fast, but didn't seem to attempt to start. Then, as I said, on about 6th attempt, started as normal. Then ok starting a few times afterwards. Anyone have any thoughts on what sort of electrical problem this could be if indeed it is. Strange that it started again, if something had failed. Thanks Michael.