XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

strange rear noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange rear noise

good morning. I've been hearing a loud noise from the rear for quite some time. The noise appears between approximately 30 and 50kmh and the car must be warm and have traveled some kilometers. The hand brake adjustment has been reset and the differential oil has been changed. keeps making the noise. I'll give you a link so you can listen to it. I have many videos but in this one that I share with you you can see a very clear metallic friction. In the video the noise sounds from the beginning but there is a moment when it stops and you can see the difference in noise driving at the same speed. I hope you can give me some help because I am desperate. I fear it is the differential

https://youtube.com/shorts/RrtFmkDZNJ0?si=QJUeW4_E1-23rSUT

Old 07-17-2024, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,010 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Not sure, but it could be the shroud where the drive shaft enters the differential. There’s a thread somewhere where the owner found that shroud was loose and spinning on the drive shaft. IIRC, he removed it, considering replacement later.
Your noise sounds different than my howling diff, which has been howling since I bought the car about 10 years ago.

edit: Ok, here’s one thread on a loose dust shield:

Loose dust shield

Last edited by kj07xk; 07-17-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2024, 09:46 AM

Hello!! Thank you very much for responding so quickly!! In the other forum's ruling it seems that it was a simple piece. Next weekend I will remove the wheels and put the car on a lift and see if I can get something….

Old 07-18-2024, 08:46 PM
Received 695 Likes on 346 Posts

No need to remove the wheels. Just jack the car up and see if the dust shield has worked loose.

The following users liked this post:
Martinpas (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 05:22 AM

As soon as I know or see something I will let you know... I hope I find the problem because it is quite annoying. Otherwise the car is still in perfect condition!!

Old Today, 05:02 PM

Good evening everyone. I'm getting back to the thread because the situation is, to say the least, desperate. The noise problem was not from the brake pads or discs or the electric brake. I tried replacing the differential oil and it didn't work either. The hubs or wheel hubs have recently been replaced. It's getting louder and louder, longer, but nobody sees anything. Neither at the official home nor at a trusted workshop... Today they have suggested to me if there are drive shafts.
I'm going to attach 4 videos recorded half an hour ago where the noise can be heard perfectly. Please, any help is valid. Thank you and have a good summer!!

... tV52cvVe7b

... DLU68nShWm

... VXm489TI3x

It also makes noise from inside. But the sound is very muffled and no microphone picks it up.

I repeat that the noise is more noticeable between 30km/h and 50km/h but there is no defined pattern. It can be when accelerating or when the car is coasting. In curves or going straight. The thing is that it is very loud and quite unpleasant.