MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Moss gearbox : need to use 1st gear or can one just use 2cd from dead stop

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Moss gearbox : need to use 1st gear or can one just use 2cd from dead stop

I have a 1959 Mark 1 with a Moss box, MOD. I'm reading an old article from the British motoring press reviewing this car "back in the day" wherein the author says that 1st gear can be skipped and its OK to just take off from stop in 2cd gear. I'd LOVE to start doing that as my first gear emits such an obnoxious whine plus I really shift to second at 10 mph anyway. What do others do ? and am I at risk of prematurely wearing out the clutch ?
Thanks for your thoughts !
Schmitty

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

if you're really shifting at 10mph anyway, i can't see how it would hurt. ...coincidentally, i just had my '67 (full synchro) MK2 out today and had cause to start out from second on a number of occasions, it was not all that bad. although there will be those that warn of excessive clutch wear, no doubt.

BTW, i have a '53 MG and i always start out in 2nd gear. first is way too low, IMO, for normal use.

The following users liked this post:
Schmitty (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,314 Likes on 986 Posts

So long as you're not on an uphill slope and you don't slip the clutch too much, starting in second is not a problem. The owner's handbook says it's OK. For myself, I never (or rarely) did it, apart from on downhill grades, though I'd usually change up sooner than you, more like walking pace. The first gear howl is normal and a characteristic of straight cut teeth. If it's any consolation, they should be more efficient and capable of transmitting greater torque.

I think I'd resolved (or figured out how to resolve) a lot of the shortcomings, mainly the second to third shift, of the Moss box in my car. But, when I came across a close ratio, all synch box complete with long tail overdrive at a very favourable price, it seemed foolish not to upgrade. 😊

Schmitty (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Received 1,048 Likes on 611 Posts

I drove Jag MK7s with Moss boxes for 15 years and only used first gear on steep slopes and tight manoeuvrings.
I do the same in my current manual MK1. My MK2 has the later all synchro OD box.
Most English car manufacturers in that period seemed to have the propensity for an extremely low first gear.
Huey mentions it in an MG and I experienced that in an MG TD and an Austin A40 both from the 1950s.

Schmitty (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:57 AM
Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
I drove Jag MK7s with Moss boxes for 15 years and only used first gear on steep slopes and tight manoeuvrings.
I do the same in my current manual MK1. My MK2 has the later all synchro OD box.
Most English car manufacturers in that period seemed to have the propensity for an extremely low first gear.
Huey mentions it in an MG and I experienced that in an MG TD and an Austin A40 both from the 1950s.
standard TD had a 5.125 differential... says it all.

swapped in a 4.55 in AND ran a taller sidewall tire. that's about the limit unless you live on the Bonneville Salt Flats. .