XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

auto trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto trans fluid change

whats the procedure,,98 xk8,,thanks,,sealed trans no dipstik?

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Received 435 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonville
It's not difficult but you need to be able to raise the car off the ground with all four wheels level. A car lift is ideal but there are plenty of videos on YouTube where owners raise the car on four axle stands. It's difficult working near a hot exhaust with such little clearance as the engine will be running, but not impossible.

Search on YouTube for many full walk-throughs.

Richard

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 03:51 AM
Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

I've just completed mine. Luckily I have a four post hoist. It's not that difficult a task if you have prepared everything. I followed John Dee's video To the Garage on YouTube. He breaks everything down into simple steps. I used the opportunity to change the pressure valve to a Transgo updated valve as well. I also used ZFs oil to hopefully make it unnecessary to do it again. If you have basic mechanical knowledge and a few tools, it's doable.

Old Today, 06:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardS
It's not difficult but you need to be able to raise the car off the ground with all four wheels level. A car lift is ideal but there are plenty of videos on YouTube where owners raise the car on four axle stands. It's difficult working near a hot exhaust with such little clearance as the engine will be running, but not impossible.

Search on YouTube for many full walk-throughs.

Richard
thank you both

Old Today, 08:52 PM
Received 142 Likes on 80 Posts

As stated above, get the car up in the air and level. You'll need hex bits for the drain and fill plugs, and Torx 30, IIRC, for the pan bolts.

FIRST THING IS TO LOOSEN THE FILL PLUG. It's on the right side of the trans body, near the back, above the exhaust. It's tight, but with a bit and short extension and a long ratchet wrench you can do it. Do not drain the trans until you're sure you can fill it again.

Drain the fluid by removing the drain plug. Then remove the pan and clean it and the magnets. Remove and replace the filter, then reinstall the pan with new gasket. Torque pan bolts to 10nm using a torque wrench. Check the o-ring on the drain plug. If it's flat you must replace the entire plug.

You'll need a fluid pump to get the fluid into the trans. Motive Products makes several, and there are many on Amazon. Fill until it dribbles out the fill hole then temporarily install the plug. Start the car, run through all the gears. Then let it idle until it's between 80 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a scan tool to monitor trans fluid temp, or in a pinch you can use an infrared temp gun on the trans pan. Once at temp, continue to add fluid until it dribbles out the hole. Install fill plug with new aluminum gasket.

Clean up the ridiculous mess.