F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning to those without engine covers

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Warning to those without engine covers

Like many, I removed my engine cover years ago in order to improve cooling, and because I'd figured it was useless.

However, I recently got told off after getting the cooling system upgraded:

Moving forward I've resolved to replace the engine cover whenever the car will be facing any significant amount of rain!
(Still going to have it off otherwise, however.)
​​​​
Disclaimer: as many may know, Vancouver BC gets a lot of rain. Those in drier climes may not need worry as much.

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uncheel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 735 Posts

I noticed water in the V when I was removing the symposer and came to the same conclusion that caught you upside the head.

I have mine off for now since we haven't seen rain in months and likely won't for several more, but I've pulled it out of storage.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Wait….you drive your F-Type in the rain? You can do that?

Old Today, 03:04 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Wait….you drive your F-Type in the rain? You can do that?
No choice in the UK! It's surprisingly waterproof.

Chris77 (Today)
Old Today, 10:13 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

In later model years Jaguar added flaps to prevent the water from laying on the engine. I do not know what years and models have the flaps, but my 2018 R Dynamic AWD has them. Being AWD my vents are also farther apart on the hood so it is less of an issue than with a RWD model. A pic of one of the flaps is below.

Old Today, 10:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The same flaps are on my MY 17 SVR

Old Today, 10:48 AM
Received 443 Likes on 238 Posts

The RWD cars are definitely more susceptible to this issue because the vents are larger, further back on the hood, and directly over the plugs/coils on both sides. The 2021+ refresh cars don't have this issue as the vents are much further forward and they have shrouds to channel the water appropriately.

Old Today, 10:53 AM
Received 386 Likes on 176 Posts

This cracks me up and no offense to the shop that worked on these cars, but the engine cover itself does nothing to prevent water intrusion. Maybe some aesthetics and sound reduction, but nothing more. Especially on the RWD models.

The further back vent locations are where the water intrusion comes from. The engine cover does nothing to prevent water from getting everywhere from rain or car washing. Enough time will pass and this will happen, to every single RWD model. AWD models moved the vents further forward to make room for the higher height of the engine position because of the transfer case and was coupled with some additional covers (as shown by CPQ100 above). The SVR models do not even ship from the factory with an engine cover in later model years when they started to be sold in the pre-facelift designed cars.

In my 2016 AWD model, having had the entire top end of the motor apart for coolant pipes, SC coupler, etc, I have no rusted bolts or nuts. I was able to get in there and clean it really well from all the spilled coolant and even coated everything with a rust inhibitor just as a safety precaution in the future. Nevertheless, I laugh at shops who say "put an engine cover on" to prevent this from happening. Just my 2 cents. And yes, opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one.

The following 4 users liked this post by skizot:
CarlB (Today), Luc Lapierre (Today), MajorTom (Today), RGPV6S (Today)
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

In my limited F-Type experience, the plastic engine cover doesn't buy you much protection from water intrusion. I bought my 2016 F-Type (3.0L, six-speed manual transmission, rear wheel drive) from a gentleman who lived in Washington state. The engine cover was in its factory location when I bought the car.

I am in the process of completing the replacement of the coolant pipes, water pump, and thermostat. With the supercharger off, it was evident that plenty of water had made its way past the engine cover and into the valley of the engine and top of the transmission bell housing. Due to corrosion, I also had to replace six of my valve cover bolts. The six I replaced all looked worse than the middle two in the OP's pictures. Two of the bolts on the passenger side were corroded to the point that the hex-head of the bolt had disintegrated. I was able to use a bolt extractor socket on one bolt. The other was too far gone for the bolt extractor socket and had to be drilled and removed with an Easy Out bolt extractor.

I think a contributing factor to the corrosion of the valve cover bolts are the small heat blankets attached to the underside of the intercooler heat exchangers and sit right above the valve covers. It appears that they retain water and promote corrosion. Both of mine were crusty, and I did not reinstall them with I reinstalled the supercharger.

The following 2 users liked this post by waldo:
Luc Lapierre (Today), mvining (Today)
Old Today, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by cpq100
In later model years Jaguar added flaps to prevent the water from laying on the engine. I do not know what years and models have the flaps, but my 2018 R Dynamic AWD has them. Being AWD my vents are also farther apart on the hood so it is less of an issue than with a RWD model. A pic of one of the flaps is below.

Interesting.

That looks like an easy retrofit, or even something that could be MacGyvered for cheap.

Do you happen to have the part number?

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; Today at 02:09 PM.
Old Today, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by skizot
This cracks me up and no offense to the shop that worked on these cars, but the engine cover itself does nothing to prevent water intrusion. Maybe some aesthetics and sound reduction, but nothing more. Especially on the RWD models.

The further back vent locations are where the water intrusion comes from. The engine cover does nothing to prevent water from getting everywhere from rain or car washing. Enough time will pass and this will happen, to every single RWD model. AWD models moved the vents further forward to make room for the higher height of the engine position because of the transfer case and was coupled with some additional covers (as shown by CPQ100 above). The SVR models do not even ship from the factory with an engine cover in later model years when they started to be sold in the pre-facelift designed cars.

In my 2016 AWD model, having had the entire top end of the motor apart for coolant pipes, SC coupler, etc, I have no rusted bolts or nuts. I was able to get in there and clean it really well from all the spilled coolant and even coated everything with a rust inhibitor just as a safety precaution in the future. Nevertheless, I laugh at shops who say "put an engine cover on" to prevent this from happening. Just my 2 cents. And yes, opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one.

To be fair, I'd much rather hear "nah, leave your engine cover off bud!".
​​​​​

I can understand the shop concluding "Aha, that is what the engine cover must be for". Remember that not everyone is an F Type nerd like we are 🤓 (I did see some really cool cars there though, both modern and classic. A good sign, I figure.)

Guess I'll be looking into alternative solutions 🤔

Old Today, 03:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

^Anti-seize if worried.

Old Today, 05:16 PM
Received 136 Likes on 83 Posts

From what I've seen the engine cover does divert some water on RWD F-Types, especially if the cover has been modded with additional flaps on the sides and especially on RWD F-Types with the open mesh vents that cars without the black pack come with.

My approach has always been - if the car will be subjected to any larger amounts of water like heavy rain or washing: engine cover on. Otherwise my engine cover is always off and when not driven the car lives in a humidity controlled garage.

If the car is driven while or after water seeps in I guess most of the water evaporates due to the heat. The worst is probably to leave the car standing out in rain and constant humidity. Anyways IMHO an F-Type is way too nice not to be garaged although ironically most owners in its rainy country of origin don't seem to have a garage.

Luc Lapierre (Today)
Old Today, 05:28 PM

Mine has been garage-kept for the past four and a half years, but I did have an 8-month "transitional period" (i.e. breakup, sorry if TMI &#128513 in my life before then, when the car had to be kept outside. And, as I mentioned, we can get lots of rain around here.

So maybe most of the damage was done in that period.

​​​​​

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; Today at 05:30 PM.
Old Today, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Note that the SVR doesn't have an engine cover to start with. So I guess the Jag engineers thought that was ok...