XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Another Backup Camera Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 09:40 PM
LMG
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Backup Camera Thread

I have been thoroughly enjoying my XKR since taking ever possession of it and now feel ready to start tinkering with it.
First up, a backup camera install and, after reading the various forum threads on the subject and its various options, I decided to go with a PAC VCI-X tapped into the built-in nav screen. I found a PAC unit on ebay that appears to have never been installed (cables stripped, but stubs still in place) and will probably relocate the trunk button and put a bullet camera in its place.

I'm not exactly lost when it comes to electrical work, but I wouldn't call myself particularly skilled either so planning to take my time doing this mod. I'm hoping those of you who have done something similar with a PAC can provide a bit of guidance if/when I need.

JagRepair.com does not have wiring diagrams for 2004 but if I go by the 2003 diagram (link, p117), it looks like its the IC23 connector to the DVD unit that I will want to tap into (I tried to upload a screenshot of the wiring diagram and a photo of the connector, but the upload keeps failing for some reason). It also looks like I'll want to tap into the yellow cable on the right rear light BT-30 connector (link, p75) for the reverse-activated 12V. A little less clear is what source to use for switched 12V, maybe a fuse tap from the trunk fuse box?
Grateful for any advice, thanks!

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2003.pdf

Old 07-30-2024, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 522 Likes on 375 Posts

For the switched 12v, look in the boot by the spare wheel/battery where there are a couple of loose connectors which everyone always asks "New to me XK8, what is this connector for?". One is the transit connector and the other is for the optional 12v accessory socket in the boot. You can take the switched 12v from that. Look for Trunk Accessory Connector in the wiring diagram for the wire colours of the three pins - there is a switched and permanent 12v, plus ground in that connector.

BTW I don't believe there is a later wiring diagram than the one you have.

ETA this is the definitive how to on adding the VCI (I don't think wire colours changed at all during the different model years):-

Adding Aux Video to XK8-R how-to.pdf

Last edited by dibbit; 07-30-2024 at 04:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LMG (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:59 AM
LMG

dibbit,
Much appreciate the advice, and that .pdf document is exactly what I needed to get confident with the wire cutting!
I see in another thread that you put a camera on the plinth of your XKR, which camera did you use?
Thanks!

Old 07-30-2024, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

I bought a generic backup camera from Amazon, which had a top mounting plate, so it could be fitted to the underside of the plinth. I seem to remember there was already a hole I could use to feed the cable through, so I just needed to drill two small holes for the mounting plate itself and I riveted it in place. You can also get cameras that have a single mounting bolt on top that the cable passes through. Those also look like a good choice to go under that plinth, needing just one hole to be drilled. Mine is quite unobtrusive on the back of the car and works well. It's wired in to a Garmin wireless transmitter in the boot, that is paired with the Garmin Drivesmart 55 in the dashboard, instead of the OEM sat nav.

I also installed a second camera in the front numberplate plinth pointing sideways, so I can see what traffic is coming up the road when I exit my narrow sidestreet - that one is wired to come on with the indicators. All I need now is a camera in each wing mirror and I will have 360º coverage.

The following 2 users liked this post by dibbit:
JimmyL (08-01-2024), LMG (07-30-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 10:39 AM
LMG

So my backup camera project ran into trouble right at the tail end.

Note I choose to install everything in the trunk, next to the DVD.
First, I cut the cables on the DVD connector and installed the Molex connectors according to the PAC instructions and the reference document dibbit linked to (thanks to both dibbit and the original author!). When connecting the two Molex's together, the clock and the nav both functioned normally (with correct colors). This told me the new connections were sound.

Next, I wired up the PAC unit to switched +12V and ground coming from the auxiliary connector (thanks again dibbit!), and to the tail light +12V (PAC blue cable). With ignition on, the power LED on the unit came on and the clock and nav still functioned normally. When engaging reverse, the clock disappeared and the screen went blank (as expected with no camera installed yet). When I took it out of reverse, the clock returned. So far so good.

Finally, I connected the camera to tail light +12V and the ground on the auxiliary connector, and the S-video cable to video input 2 on the PAC. This is where the trouble occurred: When engaging reverse, the screen again went blank (instead of bringing up the camera image). The LEDs on the camera light up when in reverse, so the camera receives power as intended.

At this point, I can't even figure out a way to troubleshoot since everything behaves as expected except there's no image on the screen. It's almost as if the camera is not compatible, but I made sure to buy one that uses NTSC. There is a jumper on the PAC that is not addressed in the instructions, but I believe it needs to be RGBs (although I tested both positions).

Any suggestions on how to figure this one out?
Thanks!

Old 08-05-2024, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

You should test the camera on a monitor or TV which has a matching input. Older TVs with a SCART connector have a composite video input on that connector.

Post a link to the camera you bought to see if there is anything obvious.
​​

Old 08-05-2024, 01:44 PM
LMG

Good suggestion, I managed to scavenge a 12V power supply and powered up the camera with it. Plugged it into the yellow composite terminal on an older TV and got nothing on the screen when selecting that input channel, so the camera may be a dud. This is the one I bought [url=http://I managed to scavenge a 12V power supply and powered up the camera with it. Plugged it into the yellow composite terminal on an older TV and got nothing on the screen when selecting that input channel, so the camera may be a dud. This is the one I bought [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y614KW5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1[/ame]. I actually didn't like the way it's designed and ordered a different one shortly after unboxing, before I had even tested it. The new one should arrive tomorrow and will hopefully work!

Old 08-07-2024, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Definitely sounds like your camera was DOA which of course happens from time to time given the lack of quality control at these prices. The one you linked to should work with your setup as far as I can see.

Old 08-08-2024, 04:32 PM
LMG

Well, this should be enough to drive anybody nuts, methinks.
New camera arrived, but once I had it wired up, the screen no longer switched from the clock when I engaged reverse. This turned out to be the case with the camera disconnected form the PAC too, so now I need to chase the trigger wire connections to see what's going on. Probably means removing the DVD unit again. Even more concerning, I can't get the
new camera new camera
to display on my TV either. With the first camera, the TV at least recognized there was input, it just didn't show an image. The new camera is not even recognized as an input.
Taking the Jag to a car show on Saturday so have to stop messing with it for now and clean it real good instead.