Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird combo of electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird combo of electrical issue

04 X-Type 3.0L
I don't know if these issues all happened at the same time but they all happened within the last two weeks.

Intermittent driver door ajar, mostly on( I read the forums about the microswitch)
When on a speed bump, the boot ajar flashes on and off again.
Power mirrors not working
Power driver seat not working (passenger works)
Driver window works, but the Auto up is intermittent.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe a harness? I read somewhere that a dieing battery can cause weirdness. Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2024, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

A check of the battery is always a good idea. Granted, most of the battery issues cause engine problems, not random cabin electrical issues. What you are describing somewhat sounds like a GEM module starting to go.

With that being said, I do ask that you include the build month/year of your car as the 2004's have 2 different wiring harnesses and this also changes how things are wired together in some cases. I am sure we can figure out what is going on.

The following users liked this post:
Mizah87 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
A check of the battery is always a good idea. Granted, most of the battery issues cause engine problems, not random cabin electrical issues. What you are describing somewhat sounds like a GEM module starting to go.

With that being said, I do ask that you include the build month/year of your car as the 2004's have 2 different wiring harnesses and this also changes how things are wired together in some cases. I am sure we can figure out what is going on.

Phew, that's encouraging. MFD is 05/04. 70k on the car.

Old 08-05-2024, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

Mizah87, from the date you provided, you have a 2nd gen car, granted and early build of the car. So, I should be able to look at some diagrams and see if we can spot something assuming you don't have something goofey going on with your car as those cars built around the transition were built a few different ways and some later cars had the earlier harnesses and some earlier cars had the later harness.

The first thing I would do is spray the door ajar switches with some WD-40 and see if that helps with one of your problems. I would also say to spray the trunk latch mechanism as that may solve that problem too.

As for the power window auto UP/Down, I would say to disconnect the battery negative for a minute or so and then reconnect it. You can then re-program the windows by simply sitting in the driver's seat and you want to start with all the windows up. Then you are going to start with the driver's door and press and hold the button down to cause the window to lower. Once it reaches the bottom, continue holding it in the down position for another 3-5 seconds (should hear a faint click). Release after hearing the click or reaching 5 seconds. Now raise the window doing the same thing, again, holding in the up position for 3-5 seconds after the window reaches full up (or you hear the faint click). Now, repeat for the other windows, one at a time using the driver's window switches. This may fix your issue. If not, let me know and we can take things from there.

As for the mirrors, do you have auto-fold mirrors or just basic powered mirrors? This can affect what is wrong. I am going to assume you have standard mirrors as this will also eliminate some things for the auto-fold mirrors. First, start with fuse F40 in the passenger compartment fuse box. It should be a 5 amp fuse. Granted, if your windows are working from the driver's switch panel, then this fuse is good. If the fuse is good, then this is kinda pointing to a bad ground wire (as you say both mirrors are not working). Has someone been working in your driver's foot well recently? It is possible that they affected the ground wire for the mirrors and that is why they are not working. To verify this good, you would need to remove the door panel for the driver's door and then do an electrical check from the controls there (if you are interested in doing this, let me know, I will give you more details about this).

As for the driver's seat. this is tied in with the mirrors, so, odds are, when you find the problem for the mirrors, it will solve the seat problem to. Again, I ask, have you had someone working on the car in the driver's foot well area as the driver's power seat grounds to the same location as the mirrors. Next, verify that fuse F16 in the passenger cabin fuse box is good, also fuse F9 in the passenger cabin fuse box. Both of these are constant battery power to the power seat and that can cause the seat to not work. Also check fuse F7 in the passenger cabin fuse box. This is what tells the seat that there is power from the car (switchable source) and that you can move the seat. Lets check this stuff before we start tearing things apart. Odds are, your problem is going to be solved by these checks. One last question, do you have the basic powered seats or the 3 user memory seats?

Do these checks and see what we have left that is not working. Then we can dive deeper into things.

Mizah87 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 05:08 PM

Thank you, i'll report back when I do those checks.
Yes, basic power mirrors (not folding)
Yes, 3 memory seat
No one working in the footwell, I did hit a bump really hard a few weeks ago, broke my radiator overflow hose nipples

Last edited by Mizah87; 08-05-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Mizah87, from the date you provided, you have a 2nd gen car, granted and early build of the car.......

Do these checks and see what we have left that is not working. Then we can dive deeper into things.
Removed all the fuses, including the ones for flip mirrors (just for fun). All the fuses were good. Put the fuses back in their place and everything started working. So most likely a ground that I accidentally wiggled?

What's strange now is Memory 2 recalls normally, memory 1 recalls the seat, but not the mirror position and there is no display on the dash "memory 1 recalled" but there is for memory 2

Old 08-06-2024, 10:57 PM

Can you tell me where the ground is in the footwell so I can check or fix it? Thanks!

Last edited by Mizah87; 08-07-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

MIzah87, I have not personally gone after this point and I no longer own an X-Type. But, the diagram points more towards the hinge point of the footwell. SO, I would be removing the plastic cover and it should be just a few inches in. HOpefully someone else can give a more detailed explanation.

Mizah87 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 11:39 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look. When you say hinge point, are you saying that it would be in the footwell at the door hinge location?

Last edited by Mizah87; 08-07-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Yes.