S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oily thick smoke & Where do I find a miles -> km sticker for the speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Oily thick smoke & Where do I find a miles -> km sticker for the speedometer?

My latest acquisition (S-Type, V8, 2004, 4.2L (not STR), 160.000km (not miles)) will sadly need some time to be roadworthy: I looks fabulous inside and out, but it's blowing smoke like in a James Bond movie, when you want to "blind" the ones, who are chasing you in a thick fog...
Yesterday I dared to drive it to town, hoping that I may have fixed it: I had swapped the 20 year old fuel filter and had high hopes. For the first km it drove fine, w/o excessive exhausts, but then it started again - bad at minimal acceleration and extremely bad, when really stepping on the gas pedal. I have a P0106 code. I swapped the MAF sensor - no difference, I swapped the spark plugs - no difference. Sometimes, when I start the car, it is a bit smoky to start with, then good for a while, then after a while really bad. The smoke then gets very thick, "when stepping on it", mainly white, with a touch of grey maybe. I think it smells like oil. I wiped off the fluid sitting in the exhaust with a bit of paper and put it on fire with a lighter: If it were petrol, it would burn rapidly, if it were water (coolant), it would not burn at all - it just burned like an oil-lamp, hence, it's oil.
I am slowly running out of ideas other than "the head gasket"... Do you have any ideas?

The other issue: I am in Australia, BUT the Jag is a personal import from the UK. I.e. MILES! Miles are printed onto the speedometer dial (and a small km-scale, so small, that it is too hard see at all). And as driving with a calculator in my hand to find out, how fast I am driving, is not an option...: Any ideas, where to get a sticker with the km-scale for this S-Type? Or do I have to draw that myself from scratch and then print it onto a sticker?

Old Today, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I have a P0106 code.
Doubt this is related to the smoke, but this code could be problematic. Is emissions testing required in your locale? If so, will the presence of such a code prevent you from passing the test and registering the vehicle?

Per Jaguar, this is a fault of the barometric pressure sensor, internal to the ECM:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The guide says a standard barometric value is substituted, so I doubt you'd even notice any performance difference. But since the sensor is internal to the ECM, that could turn into a real headache trying to repair it. IIRC, the ECM has VIN-specific programming that can't be overwritten, so you can't just swap in a used unit. You might be able to send your existing unit out for repair, or swap in a sensor from a donor unit, but none of this may be feasible. Just something to consider before sinking any money into this car.

The smoke then gets very thick, "when stepping on it", mainly white, with a touch of grey maybe. I think it smells like oil.
If you want to try something easy first, a new crankcase breather valve may be worth a gamble. At the very least, disconnect the intake duct leading to the throttle body, downstream of where the crankcase breather system is connected. See if you've got excess oil collected in there. If so, then you've probably got excess blow-by getting past worn piston rings into the crankcase.

The next option would be a compression check.

The other issue: I am in Australia...
Sorry to hear that. It's okay, we don't judge.