F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:16 AM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Any suggestions?

Generally I find the access when cleaning the wheels on this R of mine pretty good, but in the area of the footprint of the caliper it’s super tight. How are you guys accessing the barrel in that area for cleaning? Any product suggestions?

The cleaning tool I have is just too thick to get in there.

Obviously I can always move the vehicle ever so slightly and hit the inaccessible area but clearly it would be more ideal to not need to do that.

As I type this a paint stir stick and a microfiber comes to mind but that feels sorta ghetto ;-0

Old Today, 12:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

The barrel area by the caliper is unlikely to be in the same place every time you clean the wheel, so just skip that bit! F-Types are for driving, not cleaning ....

Old Today, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by scm
The barrel area by the caliper is unlikely to be in the same place every time you clean the wheel, so just skip that bit! F-Types are for driving, not cleaning ....
LOL, I know, you know what I mean...If your gonna take the time to clean you might as well do the whole wheel...My thoughts only I guess... ;-)

Remember, the brake dust on these cars is particularly brutal so it's not just about cleaning...If you don't get that crap off it will eventually muck up the finish of the wheel as well, so there is a practical angle here as well.

Old Today, 12:46 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I have used a microfibre mitt to do that - the back of my hand will (just) fit between the barrel and the caliper, though it's not easy to reach every bit.

Old Today, 12:52 PM

I have some product here that is for cleaning the barrels. It's just too thick, but I just realized that the microfiber cover for the tool comes off. Gonna try putting the cover on a paint stir stick this evening and see if that is thin enough...It may work...