XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Check Your Alarm Backup Battery and Auxiliary Sounder

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:47 PM
Received 405 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Check Your Alarm Backup Battery and Auxiliary Sounder

Check Your Alarm Backup Battery and Auxiliary Sounder

Rather, disconnect it. The unit is way too old, and the rechargeable cells inside are depleted. It is located in the Right, front wheel well, roughly under the headlamp assembly. It is a square black box. Not necessary to deactivate it in IDS, just disconnect, seal and stow the connector in some efficient way.

This can cause all sorts of weird little problems. Something which has perplexed me for a few years is that the battery level indicator on my battery tender harness would shift from green to yellow overnight, a slight drop. Did not do damage as i was always very careful to place on the maintainer after every drive. Now, with this unit disconnected, the now older battery stays at full voltage for days without being on the tender and in a hotter climate. Did an A/B test and can make the problem reappear.

Since this unit might develop an internal short it can also cause issues with other things by both loading the alternator at idle and dropping voltage to various modules. It used to cause an intermittent idle drop when coming to a stop. Once again, A/B test can make it come back. It also messes with Real Gauge at idle and causes a reset of sorts. Thusly, mine has some sort of intermittent internal short.

Your factory alarm will still work the same way absent the various chirps if you have something open while active arming or the indicator chirps if enabled in IDS. There is of course no backup for the horns or if the main battery is disconnected.

I have/had? an occasional ECU error on startup if the vehicle was parked outside in strong winds. Would clear on restart. Don't know if related to this unit, however will one day find out.

One wonders how many odd problems this unit has caused for others...