XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1989 XJ-S V-12 Stopped Running

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 1989 XJ-S V-12 Stopped Running

Hi All,

Yesterday, my 1989 XJ-S US Spec late 89 model with 36,000 original miles just died on me..... She has been a "garage queen" her entire life. This happened one other time. I was driving from St. Louis to Kansas City and 50 miles into the journey, I stopped and fueled up with gas. When pulling out of the gas station, she just died. An hour later, she started back up and I never had that happen since. Last night, I had just filled up with gas. I was driving along, and she was running perfectly. I was so amazed because she had been sitting in storage for a little over a year, and every cylinder was firing, temperature was great, and she was just running great....then she suddenly died! I tried to fire it back up after an hour or so. Nothing. I tried starting it again this morning. Nothing. I replaced the fuel pump because it was easy to get to and I had a brand new one. Nothing! I pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it several times to see if it may be flooded. Nothing. I checked the inertia switch. It is fine. I'm thinking possibly the fuel filter could somehow be clogged, but I replaced it 2 years ago just after I bought it. I haven't put 1,000 miles on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Old Today, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Childeric12
Hi All,

Yesterday, my 1989 XJ-S US Spec late 89 model with 36,000 original miles just died on me..... She has been a "garage queen" her entire life. This happened one other time. I was driving from St. Louis to Kansas City and 50 miles into the journey, I stopped and fueled up with gas. When pulling out of the gas station, she just died. An hour later, she started back up and I never had that happen since. Last night, I had just filled up with gas. I was driving along, and she was running perfectly. I was so amazed because she had been sitting in storage for a little over a year, and every cylinder was firing, temperature was great, and she was just running great....then she suddenly died! I tried to fire it back up after an hour or so. Nothing. I tried starting it again this morning. Nothing. I replaced the fuel pump because it was easy to get to and I had a brand new one. Nothing! I pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it several times to see if it may be flooded. Nothing. I checked the inertia switch. It is fine. I'm thinking possibly the fuel filter could somehow be clogged, but I replaced it 2 years ago just after I bought it. I haven't put 1,000 miles on it. Anyone have any ideas?
This article, listed at the top of this forum, gives you an idea of what can go wrong. Can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when you first turn the ignition key to on without trying to start it?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...he-v12-178286/